• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Playing for Prince Avenue I deliberatly smashed the ball of the pitch for a throw in, rest of the team look amazed and ask me what I'm doing, I reply "Tony Bentley did that last night", difference was he did it in the 90th minute time wasting and I did it with my first kick in the first minute, cor did I idolise them lovely blue boys.

1. Billy Best (canveyshrimper)
2. Sammy McCrory (Uncle Leo)
3. Jimmy Evans (Napster)
4. Bill Garner (Gt Yarmouth Shrimper)
5 Peter Taylor (Firestorm)
6. Derek Woodley (shallowshrimper)
7.Phil Chisnall (Pak Power)
8.Chico Hamilton (EforB and Billy Best)
9. Trevor Roberts (Cricko)
10. Roy Hollis (MR BLUE)
11. Harold Halse (turkishm)
12. Eddie Firmani (Shrimper)
13. Willie Coulson (Barrys Boss)
14. Errol Crossan (irenbird)
15. Eddie Clayton (Billy is the Best)
16. Peter Watson (Devonexile)
17. Jimmy McAlinden (LittleBoyBlue)
18. Mel Slack (seenyeva kryevyetka)
19. Steve Yates (OBL) if not then Tony Hadley
20. Gary Moore (SBS)
21. Harry Threadgold (BlueBloodUSA)
22. Tony Bentley (TITSUP)
23. Alan Moody (1972-1984) (Sleaford Shrimper)

3. Jimmy Evans (Napster)
10. Roy Hollis (MR BLUE)
20. Gary Moore (SBS)
24. Sandy Anderson
Arrived late so most of my favourites have gone. Was tempted with Arthur williamson or Terry Johnson 'on the wing' but I'll stick with Sandy.

Last edited:
First game i went to 1967 we had a winger called John McKinen what a player looked about 45 with his brylcream hair. Had a pair of boots that were steel toe capped and nailed studs boots that looked like they were 50 years old but what a player, never the same after breaking his leg at a home match. My dads legend​

3. Jimmy Evans (Napster)
10. Roy Hollis (MR BLUE)
20. Gary Moore (SBS)
24. Andy Smillie (Billy Bests boot laces)

First game i went to 1967 we had a winger called John McKinen what a player looked about 45 with his brylcream hair. Had a pair of boots that were steel toe capped and nailed studs boots that looked like they were 50 years old but what a player, never the same after breaking his leg at a home match. My dads legend​

John McKinven..............just dug out a November 1963 programme against Coventry City. A few names that I can't remember that well.........we lined up

1. Brian Rhodes
2. Lou Costello
3. John Neal
4. Tony Bentley
5. Peter Watson
6. Terry Bradbury
7. Malcolm Slater
8. Ray Smith
9. Jim Conway
10. Mike Beesley
11. John McKinven

3. Jimmy Evans (Napster)
10. Roy Hollis (MR BLUE)
20. Gary Moore (SBS)
24. Sandy Anderson (Yogi)
25. Andy Smillie (Billy Bests boot laces)

OBL & Sleaford - I'm afraid Moody, Yates and Hadley are all ineligible as they all played well into the 80s. Do you want to pick again?

Fantastic player, could run circles around most fullbacks,as you say was never the same after injury, was tempted to go for him myself.

Wasn't it Graham, "do I not like that" Taylor who did the damage (Playing for Lincoln ?)

Yes it was, it happened near the South East corner, I was standing on the South Bank and everyone heard the crack. Mick posted some time ago that he made a few sub appearances the following season, but the injury effectively ended his career.

OK, seeing as three of the best have already been taken: Chico Hamilton. Glamorous at the time when he signed from Chelsea - and sold at at a profit as well.

Damn! Missed that on an earlier thread. OK, in that case, my mate Dave Barnett from school. He always got me tickets.
After all, we're running out of heroes. That said, Terry Bradbury took a mean penalty

I'm pretty sure he played in the Newcastle side that won the Inter-City Fairs Cup (pre UEFA Cup and the latest aberration) in 1969.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_Inter-Cities_Fairs_Cup_Final

Sub in both legs (came on 75 and 76 minutes) Scored the third in the 2nd leg (strangely according to the wiki page 2 minutes before he came on ?)

article-1070049-05EBA48B0000044D-336_468x320.jpg

Dave Smith played in the Newcastle team that year and is standing next to Foggon in the picture (2nd and 3rd from the left, Back row)

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...an+foggon&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&tbs=isch:1

Last edited:
Dave Robinson joined Southend 1928 - left Southend 1986.

Never saw him play he retired in 1939! but spoke to him on many occasions before his death in 1986. Played 348 games at left or right back scored 1 goal on his last but one appearance. He was assistant manager after the 2nd world war for 13 years and then joind the groundstaff until his official retirement in 1970. But was still helping out & making regular visits to Roots Hall until he died.

Dave Robinson joined Southend 1928 - left Southend 1986.

Never saw him play he retired in 1939! but spoke to him on many occasions before his death in 1986. Played 348 games at left or right back scored 1 goal on his last but one appearance. He was assistant manager after the 2nd world war for 13 years and then joind the groundstaff until his official retirement in 1970. But was still helping out & making regular visits to Roots Hall until he died.

IIRC one of his two testimonials was against Chelsea where it all got a bit "unfriendly"

3. Jimmy Evans (Napster)
10. Roy Hollis (MR BLUE)
20. Gary Moore (SBS)
24. Sandy Anderson (Yogi)
25. Andy Smillie (Billy Bests boot laces)
26.Joe Sibley(look him up)---my football master(DistantBlue)

Back