• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Being Sensible

blue shrimp

Youth team
Having read many posts from some of you demanding super strikers,Fancy wingers aided by midfield maestros,Raiding full backs blah blah blah.

We are Southend United FC and we are skint skint skint.Tilly without any funding can only tread water and the reality is surviving in this division until pursestrings are opened.Will we survive this season?The clever money has always been on middish table or flirtations around the drop zone..Thats the way it is and I am still amazed many see us as possible play off contenders!!

Tilsons ultimate target is to reach 52pts ASAP,Anything above this target will be a bonus under present restraints.

sensible yes but the league 2 and league 1 promotion squad wasnt full of maestros and expensive players, just good ones, ones with experience, playing in their correct positions, and instilled with winning mentality that came from tilson, perhaps the reality is that a squad like that only comes through some luck, and maybe every ten years or so. u get a 25 goal a season man like freddy and your gonna be up there. totally agree that survival is the main goal, i guess just given the standard of league one it feels like we should have won quite a few of the games we've lost/drawn, dont think anyone in this league has walloped us yet. we've been spoilt as spectators recently seeing some great football.

Sensible, what are you on about we should be in the Champions League by now Tilson Out!!!

In fairness..The club should now be playing in front of crowds of 70,000 at Ronalddome having recently triumphed lifting the champions league crushing Real Madrid 9 2,Meanwhile our debut season in the prem gave us a 100% record winning all 38 games including stunning wins at Anfield where Dougie netted all 6 in the 6 0 win.

Thats a very negative atittude. I guess you are a glass half empty man who is happy to stay in League 1 forever. We may be skint but that didnt stop us almost getting promoted 2 seasons ago and very nearly getting in the play offs last season.
We've had the likes of Harding, Federici, Theo, Mulgrew, LEon Clarke, Sawyer, all class players. Ok so the likes of Freddy Eastwood are one offs but its not too much to ask for players who can pass the ball to another blues players, wingers who can occasionally put in a great cross and defenders who can defend.
Look at the likes of Swindon, Walsall, Bristol Rovers, all pushing for the playoffs at the moment. Wouldnt say their squad is any better than ours.

Thats a very negative atittude. I guess you are a glass half empty man who is happy to stay in League 1 forever. We may be skint but that didnt stop us almost getting promoted 2 seasons ago and very nearly getting in the play offs last season.
We've had the likes of Harding, Federici, Theo, Mulgrew, LEon Clarke, Sawyer, all class players. Ok so the likes of Freddy Eastwood are one offs but its not too much to ask for players who can pass the ball to another blues players, wingers who can occasionally put in a great cross and defenders who can defend.
Look at the likes of Swindon, Walsall, Bristol Rovers, all pushing for the playoffs at the moment. Wouldnt say their squad is any better than ours.

Maybe these teams are playing the players in their correct positons and aren't afraid to drop players who are underachieving.

Having read many posts from some of you demanding super strikers,Fancy wingers aided by midfield maestros,Raiding full backs blah blah blah.

We are Southend United FC and we are skint skint skint.Tilly without any funding can only tread water and the reality is surviving in this division until pursestrings are opened.Will we survive this season?The clever money has always been on middish table or flirtations around the drop zone..Thats the way it is and I am still amazed many see us as possible play off contenders!!

Tilsons ultimate target is to reach 52pts ASAP,Anything above this target will be a bonus under present restraints.

totally agree with you, but it would seem the board dont as both King and Martin have publicly gone on record to advise there is no crisis what so ever and there is money available to strengthen the squad, (if you can call what we have a squad) so my next question is if KING informed us all in the echo pre season that the thought of this club having any finacial problems was rediculous and funds are available then why have we not signed anyone?

totally agree with you, but it would seem the board dont as both King and Martin have publicly gone on record to advise there is no crisis what so ever and there is money available to strengthen the squad, (if you can call what we have a squad) so my next question is if KING informed us all in the echo pre season that the thought of this club having any finacial problems was rediculous and funds are available then why have we not signed anyone?

Hate to say it, but... even if we do have money available to strengthen the sqaud, we dont have a bottomless pot of money to spend either on transfer fees or on wages. This means that if a player has a choice of coming to Southend or another L1 club he is going to look at the contract on offer and make a choice, probably based on wages, just like anyone looking for a new job would. I dont know, but I suspect, that our top limit is £2k a week. If the other club is offering £5k a week, what do you think the player's first choice would be... its not rocket science!

And quite rightly, RM cant and wont change the club's rules (and risk the clubs future) to pay one player 5 times more than the rest of the squad because there would be a mutiny and we would have no players - or worse, no club!!

I'm confident we'll be spending a bit of cash in Jan. Let's hope it's to aid the play-off push, rather than a relegation scrap. As for when will we have 52 points? I'm going for around February time...

I agree with this point we have to live within our means - our recent trip into the Championship (or whatever it was called then) plus our earlier visit to Division 1 with Webby were most unusual and welcome periods - we are doing now what we have done in the majority of my 51 years of support - I`m afraid I don`t expect any better despite Tillys great efforts

Yes we have a tight budget but I imagine lots of clubs in the league do at the moment. Only a few really spent any money in the summer. We didn't spend big when we won League One, the standard is pretty poor and we have a superb manager which is why people feel we can challenge for promotion even with our financial problems. I hate to say it but look at Colchester...

Yes we have a tight budget but I imagine lots of clubs in the league do at the moment. Only a few really spent any money in the summer. We didn't spend big when we won League One, the standard is pretty poor and we have a superb manager which is why people feel we can challenge for promotion even with our financial problems. I hate to say it but look at Colchester...

The difference between us and Colchester is that they have a moneybags owner who is subsidising the club from his own pocket.

FWIW the adventure in the CCC cost the club over a million in transfer fees, and much more in terms of wages etc.

nahhhhh. We have all of the above already, we just need to play them all together (in their natural positions)
Barney
Laurent
Francis

I'm confident we'll be spending a bit of cash in Jan.

Not singling you out here, just using your quote to illustrate my point.

Why is it that so many people still think there is any money to spend? We don't have a pair of brass farthings to rub together at the moment - if we did then all the recent wage issues wouldn't have happened and someone would have been bought over the summer. You don't miss out on all of your targets if the money is there.

I'll go on record now and say that, apart from a fresh wave of loans, we won't sign anyone in the January transfer window.

I'd love to be proved wrong. If I am then feel free to dig this post up and tell me how pessimistic and useless at predicting things I am. I just have a very large hunch that I won't be.

Yeah but to be fair look at what huddersfield have spent and where they are currently. I believe they are on the same amount of points as us. Southampton have spent a million on 1 player and may end up relegated.

Spending money doesnt guarantee sucess.

I just demand 100% from the players we have and hope that the management pick the right team. Two things that havent been happening of late.

We could with a bit more luck easily had more points looking at the Leeds and huddersfield and Oldham games.

Back