• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dear All

A little early given still have Sheffield to come but not that far away so I'll start this one which is a bit of an event for me as I will be completing my 92 at Bloomfield Road.

There are 14 of us going up for a weekender for this one Fri to Sun, only 3 are Shrimpers the rest attracted by a middle aged lads beer session or two. We have a schedule of things to do drawn up (mostly pubs and restaurants), if anyone is feeling a bit at a loss up there and wants to tag along for any of it just send me a PM and I can send you details. If you see some unfit blokes on the beach Sat morn attempting to kick a ball that is probably us, that being our one concession to exercise.

Pre match on the Saturday we intend to be at The Old Bridge House, Lytham Road from around 11.30 ish then from 1 pm most of us will be vacating to the ground to use their restaurant (which incidentally is not bad value at £35 including match ticket in away end and food when just match ticket is £25).

Hope by the time we get to Sat the match is not too much of a meaningless mid table thing for us.

Re the 92 I will be publishing a book on it in May which of course has a heavy Shrimper theme - it is drafted and just awaiting the final chapter. I will be shamelessly promoting that when it's ready.

Cheers and UTB

Great stuff! .. Congratulations. :happy::clap::happy::clap:

All the best for the occassion and the great achievement, hopefully the crowning glory will be you taking the 3 points back home, after what was no doubt a long and arduous journey up and down the country, as well as you having something positive to write about in the final chapter of your book (everyone loves a happy ending...so no pressure Phil !!). :smile:

UTB
:happy:

Last edited:
Congratulations on the 92! Great stuff.
I'm trying to forget my last visit there and a Mr connelly:omg:

I'd go with:
Bentley
White Thompson Barrett Coker
Worrall Deegan Timlin McLaughlin
Payne Barnett​

I'd like to see Weston get some minutes from the bench too, let's see how some of the fringe players perform rather than persisting with disappointing loanees.

Edit- trust me not to read the post title properly, this is my team for Sheffield U. Congrats on the 92 mate, that's one hell of an achievement :Worthy:

I've been to Blackpool on a number of occasions - including one where Eastwood came on late as a sub and looked as interested as I am in wearing sequins on the dance floor ........... but then he received the ball wide, cut towards the goal and whacked it in the net. Great stuff. :thumbsup:

Anyway, the point is that in those days the ground only had 2 sides so it will be a bit of a surprise to see Bloomfield Road with all 4 stands.

I think I am at something like 65 out of 92 ............. but I just keep going back to the same old grounds or find that clubs like Cheltenham drop out of the league (been there) and Crawley come in and I just can't seem to get the enthusiasm up to visit. :'(

Well done on the 91 so far and I hope you enjoy the trip and the weekend.

On YouTube there are a whole series of vids of what grounds were like in 1979 or 1980, all on a grainy old cine film with the same haunting tinkling of the ivories played in the background. Just type in the old name (not the daft sponsor name of today that many have) of the ground you are interested in and then '1979' after it and it may be there (Roots Hall sadly is not). There is one for Bloomfield Road which like most looks a tad different to what is there today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNe39xcDwE

Enjoy

On YouTube there are a whole series of vids of what grounds were like in 1979 or 1980, all on a grainy old cine film with the same haunting tinkling of the ivories played in the background. Just type in the old name (not the daft sponsor name of today that many have) of the ground you are interested in and then '1979' after it and it may be there (Roots Hall sadly is not). There is one for Bloomfield Road which like most looks a tad different to what is there today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNe39xcDwE

Enjoy
Found the Chelsea v Crystal Palace FA Cup game 1974-75 when Southend Legends Bill Garner and Peter Taylor played agianst each other better than Blackpools ground .

Found the Chelsea v Crystal Palace FA Cup game 1974-75 when Southend Legends Bill Garner and Peter Taylor played agianst each other better than Blackpools ground .

Ah yes, Taylor scoring a cracker and running with arms aloft in celebration, all in that classic stripy kit that they always had a prob painting properly on subbuteo teams .......... Top stuff

Enjoy

Exactly - you sound like me (that's probably not a compliment by the way) .......... why bother with a sponsor's name when a ground already has a historic link to the town/area.

I did go to Bloomfield Road when there were 3 sides - by the looks of it they had just taken down the end behind the goal. The stand was dingy and dark - it was like being at the back of bird hide looking out of a narrow window at the game! Some things in football have changed for the better (but not that many ............)

There's 20+ of us going. It's going to be some weekend.

Saturday 10 am ish on the beach between the two piers. We can muster 14 on our side to your 20 so we will supply the ref and will bring the ball. No offsides as that will require too much movement, and you can't tackle anyone over 50. But I'll identify the WHU fan in our group to you - do with him what you will.

Saturday 10 am ish on the beach between the two piers. We can muster 14 on our side to your 20 so we will supply the ref and will bring the ball. No offsides as that will require too much movement, and you can't tackle anyone over 50. But I'll identify the WHU fan in our group to you - do with him what you will.

Between which two piers as there's 3 of them!:smiles:

Great stuff SS, congratulations!

Anyone else notice how poor Blackpool's pitch looked in the highlights of their game on Saturday? Maybe a game for those with more dogged skills rather than fluid ones.

Great stuff SS, congratulations!

Anyone else notice how poor Blackpool's pitch looked in the highlights of their game on Saturday? Maybe a game for those with more dogged skills rather than fluid ones.

Mum, and having just seen the forecast for Fri and Sat it isn't going to get much better. If this game gets called off it will be ever so slightly annoying.

Mum, and having just seen the forecast for Fri and Sat it isn't going to get much better. If this game gets called off it will be ever so slightly annoying.

Don't say that, there are 6 of us going up for the weekend :nope:. Just looked at BBC weather and it doesn't look too bad between now and Sat for Blackpool :thumbsup:

Back