• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Silencer

Director
It is two thirds of the way through the season (ish) yet I am still unsure of whether I rate Assombolonga or not, I usually have fairly strong opinions on most players but for whatever reason, the jury is still out for me.

I was very shocked to see him on the bench tonight, but then I started to wonder what he actually brings to the side...even more so as Sturrock now seems to want to change formations mid season and play one up top!! Also, no goals for 80 days does not help his cause!!!

What are peoples thoughts on Britt?

Is he Championship standard or will he languish in the lower leagues?

He is still trying to regain fitness I think after his spell out. He misses playing alongside Tomlin too. He looked okay when he came on for Laird. What he should have done was gambled that Reeves in the 1st half would get the ball back across the face of goal. He should have at least made contact with that cross.

He's 20 and he's scored 11 goals for us so far this season.

There's no doubt he'll go a long way in the game. He's strong, good in the air and pretty quick. Most importantly he's an intelligent footballer on and off the ball.

Was scoring for fun until Tomlin started, at which point he was still a key player. Has only just come back from injury, probably isn't fully fit but due to injuries we're having to play him.

Excellent player, will flourish at a higher level (Championship most likely). Brit and Tomlin are our best combination without any doubt whatsoever!

Britt is class, just he plays better up top with Tomlin, the lad is a youngster and he is championship level at the very least.

Agreed with the Tomlin comment, they forged very decent partnership....sadly neither looks as good alongside anyone else.

Just throwing this one out there, but 12 goals in 32 games is not amazing as such, if Freddy had been giving the same game time, do you think he would have scored more?

I'm not sure on a preference, just November is a long time since his last goal despite the injury.

Really am on the fence!!! :sad:

He started off well but he's struggled without Tomlin. Still a successful signing and a good player in my book.

Agreed with the Tomlin comment, they forged very decent partnership....sadly neither looks as good alongside anyone else.

Just throwing this one out there, but 12 goals in 32 games is not amazing as such, if Freddy had been giving the same game time, do you think he would have scored more?

Thats not really a good comparison though. Assombolonga is only 18 and just starting out in football and learning all the time. Eastwood on the other hand has plenty of years experience so you would expect him to have more footballing knowledge. What did Eastwood manage when he was 18?
I can see Britt just getting better and better. For a youngster playing up top on his own-especially against Orient- I think he holds the ball up and uses his strength well

12 goals in 32 games is a very good return. If he had 4 more that would be 1 in every 2 games!

He clearly has talent from what I've seen but is lacking complete match fitness and the confidence that comes with that.

He is a confidence player and at the moment doesnt have any. He will have another goalscoring patch

He is a confidence player and at the moment doesnt have any. He will have another goalscoring patch

I agree , excellent player and still looks dangerous despite scant service. Was possibly the pick of our players last night , but then 6 out of 10 shows how poor the rest of em were

He is class.

He was looking more his normal self in the second half too, for the first time since the injury.

I thought Britt was a nuisance from the moment he came on. Chased things down, couple of signs of real class and talent, run at people and beat them and has strength in abundance. The kind of player opposition defenders probably dread playing against. When he's fully fit and has a goal or two under his belt, could be very important come April/May time...

As well as recovering his fitness, it is playing with Corr that is Assombolonga's problem. He needs to play alongside someone with movement (and can occasionally pass to our own players) and then he can exploit the space created with his pace and strength. That is why his partnership with Tomlin worked well for both of them. Playing with Reeves at Orient showed more glimpses of what Assombolonga can do. I would have liked to have seen us try bringing on Harris to play with Assombolonga for half an hour last night just to see if Harris's experience could have offerred more of what Tomlin would bring. Lots of good things that we were doing during the latter stages of the run before Christmas wont happen with Corr in the side in my opinion - he's a good impact sub and that's it.

He has been injured for a month, and then got thrown back into a team that was desperately trying to grind out results.

It seems obvious that the partnership of Tomlin and Britt is one that has brought the best out of both players.

With them in the team, we have won 52% of games (12 from 23 games), but without them we have only won 32% of games (6 out of 19).

12 goals in 32 games is a very good return. If he had 4 more that would be 1 in every 2 games!

He clearly has talent from what I've seen but is lacking complete match fitness and the confidence that comes with that.

If he had 4 less it would be 1 goal in every 4 games....:winking:

I get your point though.

Like I said, I am still unsure for whatever reason.

As mentioned by others , I think the effectiveness of many strikers fluctuates depending on who they are paired with or who else is in the team to provide assists.
Britt and Tomlin worked.
Britt and Corr doesn't look as good.
Does that make him a good player or a bad one ??

Back