• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
On Friday 21st April 1972, Southend sat in 2nd place in Division 4 and on the verge of their first promotion in their history.

We had gone 14 games unbeaten, and needed to beat Cambridge at home that evening to go top, as we were just 1 point behind leaders Grimsby.

Cambridge were mid-table and very average. We had swept everyone aside with our brand of attacking football with the two Bill's, Best and Garner, rampant. The Monday evening had seen us demolish Northampton 4-1 at the Hall. Grimsby were faltering slightly, and we had the momentum. Over 17000 turned up to witness what would surely be the annihalation of Cambridge and a real assault on the title.

Unfortunately, our keeper, Derek Bellotti, got badly injured after about 10 minutes, and in those days there were no sub keepers. Our main creative talent, a certain Peter Taylor, went between the sticks.

We lost 2-1. Unbeaten run over, and with it the hopes of the title. We drew our final three games and finished as runners up.

So, will history repeat itself? Will lowly Cambridge be the team that ends our run? Will we go up anyway?

Well, I'd take runners up, obviously. But I'd rather not lose on Monday. Our last 4 games are very hard, and 9 points from the next 3 is the target. That would put us on 77, and probably only needing 3 or 4 to guarantee promotion from the last 4 matches, i.e 1 win and a draw.

Come on you Blues!

Can't say I was there for that one, but I've certainly heard about.

I for one would be gutted if we lost it because our first choice 'keeper was injured and we got caught out because we had our smallest player replace him.......

Shame they didn't have tes playing that day
biggrin.gif
. who knows where we'd be now if we'd won that game?!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Mar. 25 2005,23:37)]Can't say I was there for that one, but I've certainly heard about.

I for one would be gutted if we lost it because our first choice 'keeper was injured and we got caught out because we had our smallest player replace him.......
We were already one nil up when the keeper dived into the post and wrecked his shoulder. I was remembering it as John Roberts in goal but you are probably right, fbm. When they carried him off on the stretcher, they had the blanket completely covering him, which made us fear the worst for a few seconds. Why Bill Garner didn't go in goal I have no idea, but if he had we would have won, I'm pretty sure.

We were bound to lose though - it was after all our biggest crowd of the season.
sad.gif

There are a worrying amount of similarities there. I have faith though.

Everyone, put your minds at ease. On reflection, I worked out that on my travels (when they have coincided with SUFC's), I have a record of P6 W3 D2 L1 (I think, from West Ham, Col U, Northampton, Shrewsbury, Cheltenham and Mansfield). Excluding W Ham, that's 5 games, no losses and 3 very good wins. Once they see me, combined with the fact Freddy's allowed to score in front of me, the lads will go for another three nil to bolster the GD.

Back