• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Carlisle Utd 2 -0 Southend Utd

It was a pretty poor display but I do find it odd that people were calling out for 4-4-2 last season claiming it's the thing at this level and are now asking for anything else. I am in the anything else camp to be honest, but I was also on board with Sol's tactics, notwithstanding his other failings, so wasn't in the back to basics camp last year.

From the Carlisle fans forum:

"I predict all sides, in the league, will beat them at least once and there’ll go down with the lowest number of points.

No ones going to touch them with a barge pole, in this climate, with a 438k hmrc debt alone.

Well maybe every team beating them once, but they will pick up points, as we see with a lot of rubbish, they are still a professional outfit, if only just about. They are more likely to fold, but I fear many more clubs will as well. If they can flog that decent winger with the quick feet they may just survive and even win a few games."

Presumably they are referring to Green. The only other Southend player mentioned on their posts is Oxley for his great saves.

"I predict all sides, in the league, will beat them at least once and there’ll go down with the lowest number of points.

No ones going to touch them with a barge pole, in this climate, with a 438k hmrc debt alone.

Well maybe every team beating them once, but they will pick up points, as we see with a lot of rubbish, they are still a professional outfit, if only just about. They are more likely to fold, but I fear many more clubs will as well. If they can flog that decent winger with the quick feet they may just survive and even win a few games."

Presumably they are referring to Green. The only other Southend player mentioned on their posts is Oxley for his great saves.
Hang that on the Southend changing room wall.

Amongst various concerns surrounding our club on and off the field is the suspended points deduction hanging over our head. Miss players wages once, be it due to our financial predicament or down to admi istration (our club is an administrative mess, espe ially now the club secretary has gone) and bang... we're on an unassailable - 12. Precarious indeed.

Too many of this squad are young and have got so used to losing they just don't hurt anymore and the heads go down . That's where experienced pros like Macca and former players like Timlin and AB are prime examples of what's needed to turn this round. The other major issue is goals we now have no proven strikers at this level..... unfortunately highly rated or a great prospect simply doesn't cut it in League 2 when you are bossed and knocked off the ball so easily. Today was another prime example and memory to the many older members of SZ of just how hard and unpretty this division is and you won't survive with an U23 team of lightweights

Demi, White, Lennon let’s face it are not world beaters and will make very little difference to a team with 7 that should not be playing in League 2 at the moment. Bring in Salah, Sterling, Van Dyke, Grealish then it would make a difference but to hope that the fragile experienced pro’s will turn it around is not going to happen I’m afraid.......M.M has a totally impossible job on his hands and Ron Martin has destroyed this club with no way out!

I thought that once I had a beer, and a good sleep, my post match knee jerk reaction would disappear.......it hasn’t!
We are still in the brown and smelly stuff....the only thing that has changed is that I have a thick head this morning.

I thought that once I had a beer, and a good sleep, my post match knee jerk reaction would disappear.......it hasn’t!
We are still in the brown and smelly stuff....the only thing that has changed is that I have a thick head this morning.

Next weeks Echo.....’Ron Martin says we can still make the playoffs’.......wouldn’t be at all surprised with the way he is playing us for fools!

We maybe **** at the moment but i don't need some northern monkey from Carcelona reading me the script.

True enough, but on the other hand it's easy to get dragged down into the slough of despond with our fellow zoners. It's quite useful, though deeply upsetting, to have it confirmed by disinterested outsiders that we really are pony....

I predict all sides, in the league, will beat them at least once and there’ll go down with the lowest number of points.

Well maybe every team beating them once, but they will pick up points, as we see with a lot of rubbish, they are still a professional outfit, if only just about. They are more likely to fold, but I fear many more clubs will as well. If they can flog that decent winger with the quick feet they may just survive and even win a few games.

I take those comments with a pinch of salt. Clubs which make a flying start do not always sustain that form. At the same time, Southend has lost its first two games but that does not mean the season is over for our team. From the word go, MM has been pretty clear-eyed about the situation here. He said in his first interview that a few painful truths would have to be exposed and confronted early in the season before any real improvement could occur. MM knows the club has been on the slide for more than two years and he knows the club is skint. But he seems really up for the fight. MM worked under Eddie Howe at Bournemouth, and he is certainly aware that initially Howe had to cope with very difficult conditions there including an extended embargo and meagre resources. I think MM has no illusions about the scale of challenge at Southend, but believes the situation can nevertheless be turned around. This guy seems to be focused and driven. And if MM starts to put some results together, he knows Southend has the potential to grow into a much bigger club. MM also knows that if he can succeed at Southend, he will be well-placed to go further up the football pyramid.

Amongst various concerns surrounding our club on and off the field is the suspended points deduction hanging over our head. Miss players wages once, be it due to our financial predicament or down to admi istration (our club is an administrative mess, espe ially now the club secretary has gone) and bang... we're on an unassailable - 12. Precarious indeed.
I’ve head ( but have no proof) that we are still being deducted points as RM needed to present proof that he could bank role the club and that timeline has been and gone

M.M has a totally impossible job on his hands and Ron Martin has destroyed this club with no way out!

Well there is a way out but it needs several things to occur before the January transfer deadline:

1. We need to substantially improve our fitness levels and we need to pick up some points along the way before Christmas.
2. We need to pay the players' wages without fail.
3. We need to complete the EAS and its got to be good.
4. We need the Council to approve FF before Christmas.
5. RM needs to pay off the debt to HMRC either in total at the October hearing or at least in part with the rest paid before Christmas.
6. We need to sell Kelman and bring in an experienced League Two forward in his mid-20s with height, strength and courage.
7. If possible we need another couple of experienced players before January and we need our injured senior pros to return and stay fit.
8. A new national lockdown banning professional sport must be avoided (unless the government provides realistic levels of financial support to all EFL clubs).
9. Following all the above we need to go on a long unbeaten run from February until the end of the season.

A lot of ducks to line up, but definitely a way out of our current situation.

We keep talking about how young they are and thrown in and not ready. I accept some are still very young in age and raw with little league experience and overall the average is very young (youngest in our history) but if you are good enough, age really doesn’t matter. It’s used as an excuse when players are not good enough. You don’t hear people speaking about excusing their age when analysing Greenwood, Foden, Sancho, Mbappe, Rashford, Gilmour etc
Some are well past the teenage development stage, there will always be a late bloomer or two but generally speaking by early 20s you’re good enough or not for league football. The only consistently good enough and fit are Clifford, maybe Elvis and Green (seen only twice)

Philips - 22
Gard - 21
Hobson - 22
Green - 25
Ralph - 27
Goodship - 25
Lennon - 25
Kyprianou - 23
Clifford - 21
Elvis - 21

Last edited:
Back