• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hong Kong Blue

I don't think anyone has attempted any ratings for the Chester game so here goes:

Flahavan 5 - made only one save all game which he pushed straight out to the Chester forward to score the opener, kicking against the wind he couldn't reach the halfway line for the first 25 minutes which put us under constant pressure.
Hunt 6 - exposed on more than once occasion down the inside right flank
Wilson 5 - went missing for their second goal, distribution was poor as ever, the couple of times someone ran at him he ran backwards.
Prior 5 - woeful, caught out for the first goal, looked shaky all game as he struggled in the conditions. Nearly gets a 4, but his shot was so bad it set up Freddy's equaliser:-)
Barrett 6 - can't remember him doing much wrong - or right come to that
Maher 5 - as good as any in the division passing sideways, but somehow when it comes to passing forward he just lifts it aimlessly forward. This was a game which was crying out for him to take by the scruff of the neck and exert some control. He failed to do so.
Bentley 6 - always a slow starter, it took him (and therefore us) 25 minutes to get into the game. Won the free-kick for Gower's goal when he drove forward, one of the few times any Southend players looked to play with any purpose, but looked a little lethargic compared to his usual all-action style
Pettefer 5 - I thought it would be his type of game, but he was never in it and was replaced by Tes.
Gower 6 - must have put half a dozen crosses straight out for a goal kick, but he is in the side for his occasional moments of magic and his free-kick was just that.
Eastwood 6 - hardly in the game, but he won us a point by being in the right time at the right place to deflect in Prior's deflected shot
Gray 5 - I nearly forgot he was playing, mind you he seemed to as well, a poor game in which he struggled to hold onto the ball.

Subs Bramble 7 - won the header to set up Prior for the second goal, generally looked livelier than any of his team-mates. Probably did enough to deserve a starting place on Tues.
Nicolau (no rating) - not long enough to be noticed

The match 5: worse display I've seen since Darlington, but it says something about the team when we can still get a point despite nobody having a good game. I fully expect key players like Prior, Pettefer and Maher who all had off days will be firing on all cylinders Tuesday.

I didn't bother for the SZ match report, I just gave them all 6.

rock.gif

Other than the fact that I'd take a point off everyone - you have genuinely been too generous - no disagreements here.

Actually, the one exception might be Gower - who did at least look more or less up for the game, and who was (pretty much) singlehandedly our only attacking option. For that reason, I'd make him man of the match, with Tes a close second.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Mar. 07 2005,16:18)]I didn't bother for the SZ match report, I just gave them all 6.

rock.gif
Hmm... I always thought a rating of 6 denoted adequacy. IMHO, only Tes & Mark Gower were adequate on Saturday... that was a performance which came close to plumbing the depths we reached against Cambridge and Cheltenham early in the season.

rock.gif

Matt

I'm not sure if you guys noticed this, but at one point two players were battling for the ball right in front of Eastwood, and Freddy wasn't even paying attention because he was fixing his shirt.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Mar. 07 2005,16:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Mar. 07 2005,16:18)]I didn't bother for the SZ match report, I just gave them all 6.

rock.gif
Hmm... I always thought a rating of 6 denoted adequacy.  
Matt
well, I usually have been far too generous

i put more effort into the ratings for the beer/pubs

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Mar. 07 2005,16:38)]i put more effort into the ratings for the beer/pubs
...which were fantastic, it must be said. I had two excellent pints of bitter before making my way over to Manchester.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Mar. 07 2005,16:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Mar. 07 2005,16:38)]i put more effort into the ratings for the beer/pubs
...which were fantastic, it must be said.  I had two excellent pints of bitter before making my way over to Manchester.

smile.gif
you missed out on Harkers- a splendid pub. Next time, no doubt.

Good to meet some good Chester fans as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Mar. 07 2005,16:43)]you missed out on Harkers- a splendid pub. Next time, no doubt.

Indeed, although part of me hopes it won't be next season, at the very least...

rock.gif
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Mar. 07 2005,16:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Mar. 07 2005,16:43)]you missed out on Harkers- a splendid pub. Next time, no doubt.

Indeed, although part of me hopes it won't be next season, at the very least...

rock.gif

wink.gif
Ah good point. It's a shame Kiddie weren't in the promotion race either!

smile.gif

Yep the couple of pints of Hydes in the Supporters Bar before kick off was the highlight of my afternoon in blustery Chester.

Truly a dismall affair!

Nobody has rated the referee.........................strange that
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (A loyal supporter @ Mar. 07 2005,17:08)]Yep the couple of pints of Hydes in the Supporters Bar before kick off was the highlight of my afternoon in blustery Chester.

Truly a dismall affair!

Nobody has rated the referee.........................strange that  
rock.gif
Hmm, I'll give the ref 2/10 - for awarding the free-kick in the first half from which we scored (which probably wasn't a free kick), and for only giving Wayne Gray a yellow for retaliating.

oops.gif

Apart from that, he was toilet. As for the "who me?" routine to our chant "We only get sh*t refs" (chant of the day, that)... what a pecker.

Matt

I think Flahavan rated better than a 5, probably 6 or 6.5, we can't really blame him for the wind. Perhaps he should have done better with the first goal as well, but 5 is a touch harsh.
Certainly don't think he deserved 'keeper of the day as the NOTW gave hime, unless all the other keepers in the division had sh*t games as well!

Look ok, however changes for me, would be:

Wilson - 3
Prior - 4
Bentley - 8 (you said he startd slowly, still 30 mins quicker thatn anyone else)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Mar. 07 2005,16:05)]Flahavan 5 - made only one save all game which he pushed straight out to the Chester forward to score the opener, kicking against the wind he couldn't reach the halfway line for the first 25 minutes which put us under constant pressure.
I think that is a bit harsh. There were some awful swirling shots that I think would trouble any keeper and Flavs dealt with them superbly. The goal was unlucky as Flavs made a good block save that fell to the oncoming striker.

Flavs gave me heart attack though during a part of the game when he had all the time in the world to catch it but decided to punch, subsequently putting us under even more pressure.

The Times today gave it's "Stinker" award for the game to Mr. Hunt.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scrounger700 @ Mar. 07 2005,20:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Mar. 07 2005,16:05)]Flahavan 5 - made only one save all game which he pushed straight out to the Chester forward to score the opener, kicking against the wind he couldn't reach the halfway line for the first 25 minutes which put us under constant pressure.
I think that is a bit harsh. There were some awful swirling shots that I think would trouble any keeper and Flavs dealt with them superbly. The goal was unlucky as Flavs made a good block save that fell to the oncoming striker.

Flavs gave me heart attack though during a part of the game when he had all the time in the world to catch it but decided to punch, subsequently putting us under even more pressure.
There was nothing I couldn't have easily dealt with.

Yes the wind ws blowing, so why did he continually try and play it long?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Mar. 08 2005,00:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (scrounger700 @ Mar. 07 2005,20:03)]
[b said:

There was nothing I couldn't have easily dealt with.

Yes the wind ws blowing, so why did he continually try and play it long?
I can confirm that Darryl did not once dive. His kit was spotless.

Mind you he wasn't the only one whose kit did not have to be washed, although Che's shorts looked very muddy from all his running backwards.

Back