• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Col u are more popular

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 28 2006,18:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blue Shrimp @ Oct. 28 2006,18:05)]10 games without a win in the league. All we get from Tilly it's hard, made some phone calls.

You had better sort it out soon, or the gap will be to big.

As I said a number of posts ago, I think Tilly has not the experience at this level. All the good work of the last 2 years will be lost. Most did not agree, live on in dreamland!

Our cup run will be soon forgotton.

The club is bigger than the man, sort it out Ron.  
mad.gif
Okay, so you're Ron and you sack Tilly... who do you appoint in Tilly's place (and make it a viable option)?

Seeing as you know what's best, maybe you can present us with a breakdown of exactly what Tilly has been doing in his capacity as manager (i.e. training, loanee negotiations, negotiating to buy players), how it has been done wrong and what you would do instead as you lead us to the Premiership promised land.

rock.gif
Overs........ very well put

The reason for this post is not to get shot of tilly, but to ask why we can't bring anyone in on loan. We knew about 5 or 6 games ago that we needed more bodies, and so far we have had lame excuses, which are excuses because it seems everyone else in the division has got players in on loan, and ffs we still have one of ours out on loan. Who ever is making these excuses please stop and get your finger out...

I have not said get rid of Tilly. What I mean and another post agrees he has a problem at present as he as well as the team have gone up to fast.

Lets look at who Tilly has signed.

1) Francis, could not get in the 1st team at Sheff Utd. Did well out on loan down the lower Divs.

2) Hammel. This is the exception from Scottish Prem.

3) Clark, From Div 1 side.

4) Collis. From Div 1 side.

5) Harrold. From Div 1 side.

6) Hooper. From non league.

7) Ricketts. From Championship side. He could not get a game what a gamble.

Not one proven Championship player. Cole gone out on loan as he is not happy.

Now tell me Tilly knows higher class players. We are living on a shoe string. Take your head out of the clouds.

Top players do not wish to come. If we stay up we have a chance next year. Don't tell me to support the team. I have been watching Southend for 50 years. I've seen more rotten players than you have had hot dinners.

Think it over.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blue Shrimp @ Oct. 28 2006,20:01)]I have not said get rid of Tilly. What I mean and another post agrees he has a problem at present as he as well as the team have gone up to fast.

Lets look at who Tilly has signed.

1) Francis, could not get in the 1st team at Sheff Utd. Did well out on loan down the lower Divs.

2) Hammel. This is the exception from Scottish Prem.

3) Clark,  From Div 1 side.

4) Collis. From Div 1 side.

5) Harrold. From Div 1 side.

6) Hooper. From non league.

7) Ricketts. From Championship side. He could not get a game what a gamble.

Not one proven Championship player. Cole gone out on loan as he is not happy.

Now tell me Tilly knows higher class players. We are living on a shoe string. Take your head out of the clouds.

Top players do not wish to come. If we stay up we have a chance next year. Don't tell me to support the team. I have been watching Southend for 50 years. I've seen more rotten players than you have had hot dinners.

Think it over.
Blue Shrimp

So if you were the Manager with the recourses that Tilly has.............Who would you attempt to sign???

Please dont go down the road of "Ive been supporting Southend longer then you" it really is a school boy comment and not at all helpful.

Yes, I agree a somewhat silly comment, but I was stired up with the suggestion I didn't support the team.

I am not a football manager, all I am saying that in life and this includes football one can get out of their depth. It's not Tilly's fault and I hope he stays at S.U.F.C. for years.

I think he might need advice from an ex manager for a while on players at this higher level. I think Ron, if he wishes to steady the ship needs to invest a goodly sum on players in the January window.

We all want Tilly to do well, but he has always been local, a big fish in a small bowl. Things are very different now.

I think it is about contacts, who you know in the game and who will do you a favour. Parky had a load of contacts having played at championship level and taken all his coaching badges at a pretty young age. Williams played most of his football at a good level and knows loads of influential people and once again has all the coaching badges. Now Harford is calling on all his premiership mates for a favour. 10 of our squad have had Championship experience before this season, and after a poor start with some unlucky defeats, I think that experience is doing us proud.

Yes, I agree. Look at Wise. Been at Leeds a few hours, gets in a goalkeeper with proven championship experience. According to the radio had a excellent game and kept us out.

Wise gets a loan in hours. !!!!!!!!!! See my point?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blue Shrimp @ Oct. 28 2006,20:27)]Yes, I agree. Look at Wise. Been at Leeds a few hours, gets in a goalkeeper with proven championship experience. According to the radio had a excellent game and kept us out.

Wise gets a loan in hours. !!!!!!!!!! See my point?
Yes thats the way to do it, it didnt take Roy Keane long to find half a dozen new players, although he probably had some cash to play with as well.

OK so let's go spend £3 million on  Johnny ExPrem.

er...who's paying?

Wise up kids, we have the resources of Crewe and a manager who will be the next Dario Gradi - getting the best out of not-a-lot.

How many times have Crewe been relegated with Gradi at the top? But the board KNOW that he's the best man for the job. His club get relegated because ..yawn...the resources are not there to survive long term in the CC.

Same as us and Col Ewe.

Your being silly now. You do not need to spend 3 Millions. Anyway,this does not answer the loan problem.

With the new ground, shops etc we might well be able to compete. So we need to stay up this season for sure.

I agree with you Blue, you don't have to spend big, you have to offer championship football, and virtually nailed on first team football. I think Tilly should widen his search, not one or two phone calls but at least 24 to prem clubs. I think people of the likes of Bentley would be a help at the moment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southend Elvis @ Oct. 29 2006,08:06)]I think Tilly should widen his search, not one or two phone calls but at least 24 to prem clubs.
This is one of the things that makes me laugh with some posters on this site. How the hell do you know how many clubs Tilly has contacted.

I am not commenting on the issue because I know I am not armed with enough of the facts to do so. Wish others could do the same instead of taking their own small minded pressumptions as nailed on facts!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 29 2006,07:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southend Elvis @ Oct. 29 2006,08:06)]I think Tilly should widen his search, not one or two phone calls but at least 24 to prem clubs.
This is one of the things that makes me laugh with some posters on this site. How the hell do you know how many clubs Tilly has contacted.

I am not commenting on the issue because I know I am not armed with enough of the facts to do so. Wish others could do the same instead of taking their own small minded pressumptions as nailed on facts!
Son Ross did a weeks work experience at the Club three weeks ago. The one thing I did squeeze out of him was that we have people all over constantly looking at players from all clubs. Why we haven't managed to get someone in I don't know, and I admit it is worrying, but it ain't for lack of trying.

[b said:
[b said:

You can tell you are overseas, when Tilly is asked about loans he says he has made a 'few' calls. You don't watch what we have to put up with, watch a few and I will take what you have to say..

A real problem is IMO the attacking players in the championship all have a real level of class about them. Look at all sorts of standard level Championship midfielders and strikers like Ricardo Fuller, Alan Lee, Ricardo Scimeca, Leon McKenzie. The majority of these sorts of players do not go for a lot of money these days. Lee went to Ipswich for 100k, Fuller went for free to Stoke.

Our midfield and strikers are simply NOT good enough at this level. Players like Gower, Guttridge, Harrold do not have the attacking calibre to do well in this league, hence why we aren't scoring goals.

We desperately need 3 players in January with experience at this level to score us goals. Freddy is good enough, as is JCR at times, but we need some players that everyone else has got as standard. If we don't get that we will go down.

Look when we played Ipswich. They're not a great side, yet attackingly they were miles better than us. Who did they have?

Noble - loan
Lee - 100k
Legwinski - Free, plus some youth players

We can get good enough players for the right price, so lets get some experience and not League one talent and we'll turn this around.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Noble - loan
Lee - 100k
Legwinski - Free, plus some youth players

Thing is Legwinski is most likely on a HUGE wage, thats where we cannot compete yet. We dont have a big enough fan base and the credentials to complete with the average sides like Stoke, Plymouth etc as they have a pretty decent turnover. BUT we need to spend to stay up, end of!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adwebb16 @ Oct. 29 2006,12:28)]Thing is Legwinski is most likely on a HUGE wage
The question is would you rather pay 200k for a player like Paynter or sign a player like Legwinski for free and pay him wages similar to Ricketts was on?

Legwinski won't be on too much as Ipswich don't pay very much either because of huge debts. They also miss out on players due to financial constraints, yet they sign the right type of players. Attacking players who can move and pass the ball, which a lot of ours cannot do well enough at this level.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southend Elvis @ Oct. 29 2006,13:04)]
[b said:
[b said:

You can tell you are overseas, when Tilly is asked about loans he says he has made a 'few' calls. You don't watch what we have to put up with, watch a few and I will take what you have to say..
Complete and utter rubbish. I may be overseas, but I am very well atuned to much of what goes on at the club (but not privy to a list of Tilly's calls to other clubs).

When Tilly says he made a 'few' calls, it doesn't give an indication as to how many 'a few' means. Much like some posters write something like 'lifeless' but mean something completely different... or urging Ron to act for the club by saying 'no body is bigger than the club' but not really mean that Tilly should get the boot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southend Elvis @ Oct. 29 2006,12:04)]
[b said:
[b said:

Take the time to read my post above, SE. You are arguing that we don't look hard enough for more players, and back it up by telling OS that he doesn't watch enough matches and you have seen more.

rock.gif
rock.gif

No one is seriously arguing that what we have seen so far is good enough, or that we don't need more and better players. But what on earth has that got to do with how many matches OS has seen? The nub of this is you are accusing the club of not working hard enough to bring in new players and the only evidence you have is that you haven't seen any new players. So in fact you have no idea at all how hard the club is trying to bring in fresh faces, you are simply stating your OPINION as fact, which is what puts many peoples back's up.

In MY opinion, backed up by what my son has told me (see post above) I think the club are trying hard to bring in players. Whether they are trying hard enough I don't know but judging by the commitment that RM has for the club, shown by his willingness to invest in our future, I would be suprised if he was going to allow the club to slump back into League One without even trying to improve the squad. But that's just my opinion.

We should loan a nippy winger although there is jcr but we need a very decent cross to meet the height of Matt Harrold then we should be banging them in, sort of..

Back