• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Col u are more popular

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mattlovell6 @ Oct. 29 2006,12:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (adwebb16 @ Oct. 29 2006,12:28)]Thing is Legwinski is most likely on a HUGE wage
The question is would you rather pay 200k for a player like Paynter or sign a player like Legwinski for free and pay him wages similar to Ricketts was on?

Legwinski won't be on too much as Ipswich don't pay very much either because of huge debts. They also miss out on players due to financial constraints, yet they sign the right type of players. Attacking players who can move and pass the ball, which a lot of ours cannot do well enough at this level.
We weren't paying most of Rickett's wages though. Leeds were (and presumably still are).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blue Shrimp @ Oct. 28 2006,20:01)]I have not said get rid of Tilly. What I mean and another post agrees he has a problem at present as he as well as the team have gone up to fast.

Lets look at who Tilly has signed.

1) Francis, could not get in the 1st team at Sheff Utd. Did well out on loan down the lower Divs.

2) Hammel. This is the exception from Scottish Prem.

3) Clark, From Div 1 side.

4) Collis. From Div 1 side.

5) Harrold. From Div 1 side.

6) Hooper. From non league.

7) Ricketts. From Championship side. He could not get a game what a gamble.

Not one proven Championship player. Cole gone out on loan as he is not happy.

Now tell me Tilly knows higher class players. We are living on a shoe string. Take your head out of the clouds.

Top players do not wish to come. If we stay up we have a chance next year. Don't tell me to support the team. I have been watching Southend for 50 years. I've seen more rotten players than you have had hot dinners.

Think it over.
You seem to be contradicting yourself. You say that we're operating on a shoe-string and admit that top players don't want to come here. So what do you want Tilson to do about it?

He has tried to sign top quality players (Lupoli for one) and not been able to get them here. Yeah, we've splashed the cash in terms of transfer fees lately, but our wage budget is tiny and Ron Martin has admitted already that we're probably living at the absolute edge of our means at the moment as it is.

Ron Martin told me the other day :-

I intend this club to Compete in the Championship - not an also ran in the lower leagues.

He is well aware that he must protect his investment and stay up. I am sure that he will act with vigour to make sure the club is successful.

He cannot allow us to go down now,with the new ground etc in the pipeline.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blue Shrimp @ Oct. 29 2006,14:03)]Ron Martin told me the other day :-

I intend this club to Compete in the Championship - not an also ran in the lower leagues.

He is well aware that he must protect his investment and stay up. I am sure that he will act with vigour to make sure the club is successful.

He cannot allow us to go down now,with the new ground etc in the pipeline.
biggrin.gif
Ron always said that when we got to this level we'd be able to compete on and off the field with the rest of the division, but I don't think that he had any idea that we'd get here this soon.

We've got a squad of lower-league players and unless we've got the money to replace the likes of Barrett, Flavs, Gower, Maher, etc, we can't change that.

When we've got our nice shiney new stadium then we'll be able to compete. Until then we're swimming against the tide.

Worse sides than us have avoided the drop and I'm confident that we'll still be here next season, but I don't expect us to stay up. If Tilly and Brush can pull it off it'll be as big an achievement as last year was.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southend Elvis @ Oct. 28 2006,20:34)]The reason for this post is not to get shot of tilly, but to ask why we can't bring anyone in on loan. We knew about 5 or 6 games ago that we needed more bodies, and so far we have had lame excuses ...
I haven't seen any lame excuses. Have I missed them? As far as I know, none of us know the real reason why we haven't gone any loan players in. Maybe no-one wants to come here; given that one a thought? Players talk. Paynter arrived and has not figured greatly this season (less than 48% of the 14 games he's been name in the XVI). Harrold is a little better with just over 53% (from 7 games). There's no need to speak of Ricketts. Maybe the club isn't selling itself so well in terms of playing potential. (Jay Smith has 180 minutes ... of sitting on a bench.) Maybe Tilson has got a bit of a reputation of sticking with the same players, defining loyalty as one of his strengths. We don't know. Maybe some of the negotiations have gone way beyond the financial ability of the football club; it's not unknown for loan players to be paid by their host club, in full or in part, so maybe the financial demands of potential targets (or demands of parent clubs / agents) are far beyond the limits of what we can afford. We don't know. These, I think, would not be "lame excuses". These mightbe  what the club is fighting against to bring players to Roots Hall. We don't know ...

The thing that baffles me is that ricketts was apparantly on 4k a week from us. he has now gone so it frees up wages. are northampton paying mitchel coles wages whilst he is on loan there. if so there is more in the kitty. now tilson says he has tried to get prem players on loan (probably youths) tilson says they earn to much money. however if we have to pay the loan players wages (which is not always the case, most of the time the premiership club pays the wages as a favour to the loaning club to give their player 1st team matches), we have atleast 4k from ricketts to pay. prem youth players do NOT earn 4k a week. therefore we can afford loans. what ****es me off is that tilson gave lawson a pro contract a year ago thinking he was good enough for league 1. he also gave smith a renewed contract, and mitchel cole is out on loan. we have 3 players there that have not been given a go and seen to be frozen out the side. now some may say they are not chamionship quality, but all are young and have not been given a chance. how do we know their not good enough if they dont get a chance. even if they are not good enough to start the match they are all game changing attacking players and when we are 2 nill down with 15 minutes to go, chuck them on, they are young attack minded pacey players against tired defence. against leeds we were 2 nill down, why not throw on young moussa to give him a go.

There is no excuses about not getting in loan players. if we really try we will get them in. i think something is going on behind the scenes, wage saving? maybe we are now skint.

Also we should be giving smith a chance. i know that he maybe not playing that well in the reserves but lets face it, apart from hooper, who does play really well?

Maybe we should say to a certain stan collymore please come and help us out. you can play for us on non contract terms, therefore if your a disruptive person we can release you, it also gives you a chance to get 1st team football under your belt and if you still good enough for a prem side then your in our shop window and can show you still have it. as he would be on non contract tearms, if he is not good enough for us then we can say sorry stan we gave you a chance but your past it and we can call it a day. i think its a gamble we need to take, because at the moment we are going to get relegated. we may have played well at leeds but we lost and we couldnt score. if we play like we did against leeds against better quality sides we will loose. we need to do something to up our game big time. the fact is we didnt play well enough against leeds because we lost.

Ipswich have just won 5 - 0. The gap is widening. Action is required now not words. I think, if nothing happens in the next week or so we can be fairly sure players at this level are out of our reach.

The trouble is it will be hard to get promoted again.

I understand that Young Moussa is very good. But as we never see him, none of us would know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blue Shrimp @ Oct. 29 2006,15:30)]Ipswich have just won 5 - 0. The gap is widening. Action is required now not words. I think, if nothing happens in the next week or so we can be fairly sure players at this level are out of our reach.

The trouble is it will be hard to get promoted again.

I understand that Young Moussa is very good. But as we never see him, none of us would know.
Against a good Luton side. Perhaps that throws our result against them into perspective?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alex @ Oct. 29 2006,16:05)]prem youth players do NOT earn 4k a week. therefore we can afford loans.
OK. Now I was chatting with a Premiership manager I know quite well this summer (he has a holiday home in the area) and he revealed that there are many, many youth / young players who earn IN EXCESS of £5,000 a week but might never see Premiership action for two or three years. Why? Because clubs are fearful of losing them to competitors.

Is the how the JCR loan went hindering us?

We didnt seem to come out of that well at the time

Just a thought

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 29 2006,15:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ Oct. 29 2006,16:57)]Is the how the JCR loan went hindering us?
Random word selection?!  
laugh.gif
I've been on my feet for 2 hours
tounge.gif

Rephrasing it specially for Xabia Shrimper:

Considering the bad press we got when the JCR loan deal went a bit pear shaped, is this a factor in our difficulty in getting loan signings at the moment?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ Oct. 29 2006,16:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 29 2006,15:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ Oct. 29 2006,16:57)]Is the how the JCR loan went hindering us?
Random word selection?!  
laugh.gif
I've been on my feet for 2 hours  
tounge.gif

Rephrasing it specially for Xabia Shrimper:

Considering the bad press we got when the JCR loan deal went a bit pear shaped, is this a factor in our difficulty in getting loan signings at the moment?
The thought had crossed my mind too. A short term victory with a long term cost?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Rephrasing it specially for Xabia Shrimper:

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Considering the bad press we got when the JCR loan deal went a bit pear shaped, is this a factor in our difficulty in getting loan signings at the moment?

Could be - but I suppose we might never know. There may even be a incoming loan embargo in place? Who knows?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 29 2006,13:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southend Elvis @ Oct. 29 2006,13:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 29 2006,07:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southend Elvis @ Oct. 29 2006,08:06)]I think Tilly should widen his search, not one or two phone calls but at least 24 to prem clubs.
This is one of the things that makes me laugh with some posters on this site. How the hell do you know how many clubs Tilly has contacted.

I am not commenting on the issue because I know I am not armed with enough of the facts to do so. Wish others could do the same instead of taking their own small minded pressumptions as nailed on facts!
You can tell you are overseas, when Tilly is asked about loans he says he has made a 'few' calls. You don't watch what we have to put up with, watch a few and I will take what you have to say..
Complete and utter rubbish. I may be overseas, but I am very well atuned to much of what goes on at the club (but not privy to a list of Tilly's calls to other clubs).

When Tilly says he made a 'few' calls, it doesn't give an indication as to how many 'a few' means. Much like some posters write something like 'lifeless' but mean something completely different... or urging Ron to act for the club by saying 'no body is bigger than the club' but not really mean that Tilly should get the boot.
I would put your views about the team down to hearsay. Just because you read alot about the blues hardly gives you much to comment on how the team is performing... end of. We watch it and alright we don't all come to the same conclusion all the time, but we see .. bad defending, woefull shooting and poor midfield work.. and we lose. That to me says we need new faces and if we can't get anyone in, and every one else seems to manage it, so by not getting anyone in is a lame excuse. We are sinking fast and nothing seems to be done, lets at least have a go, because if the playing staff doesn't change, for me there is only one outcome.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 29 2006,16:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Rephrasing it specially for Xabia Shrimper:

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Considering the bad press we got when the JCR loan deal went a bit pear shaped, is this a factor in our difficulty in getting loan signings at the moment?

Could be - but I suppose we might never know. There may even be a incoming loan embargo in place? Who knows?
Mike if this is the case surely they would tell us, to deflect some stick from the fans.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southend Elvis @ Oct. 29 2006,17:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 29 2006,16:06)]
Mike if this is the case surely they would tell us, to deflect some stick from the fans.
Maybe they should do, but if this is indeed the case then I think we should appreciate that it might not be in the club's best interests to do so. Imagine the displeasure from the fans if this was indeed the case though!

I've said on here before, the basic fact is that Prem manager's (especially the leading Prem clubs) will not want their players coming on loan to us. We are not big in this league, and we do not have a large stadium. THey will want their young fringe players to gain experience of playing for the bigger clubs, on the bigger stages. Unfortunately, we are left with picking those up from this division on loan, and again clubs tend to be reluctant to loan within a league. We may get someone in from the league below who has fallen out with the manager, similarly to Bradbury last year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Colchester and proud! @ Oct. 28 2006,20:21)]10 of our squad have had Championship experience before this season,
Unfortunately, I think the edjit from up the A12 is actually right.

Kids (however good they are) from Premiership teams aren't the answer for us - we need some experience through the spine of the side, as we haven't really replaced the Goat IMHO...
down.gif

Back