• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I ran 10 miles with Tom this morning, from Maldon to Rettendon - he's a top bloke and deserves all the luck in the world along with your support.

I hope I showed him that we're a reasonable bunch of people - he's certainly been blown away by the support from both our club and fans, which is good. I did tell him that all that good feeling is put to one side come 3.00 this afternoon!

When I left him (about 10.45) he had about 10 miles still to go, so I've no doubt he'll make it in plenty of time for kick off. Trust we'll give him a good welcome at 2.45 when he does his lap of honour - he deserves it as 40 miles is a heck of a long way to run!

Here's a picture of us running side by side in Rettendon just before I waved him goodbye.

CahqUwPXIAA-3Tp.jpg-large.jpg

He's made it into Southend..

a150e52f2ce446cd20cd32122407d046_zpsyeicxo7b.jpg

Top bloke and well done..... I'm sure he'll get a good reception when he gets to Roots Hall.

Scheduled for 2.45pm I believe. Hopefuuly he makes it there on time.

Well done Tommy, I take my hat off to you. :happy:Stirling effort !

Also Im full of pride for all the donations being given to him as he goes around by our supporters.

We are even getting much praise from the Official Col Utd Twitter:
Quote:
Different class from the @SUFCRootsHall fans too, giving @tommy12leggett plenty of appreciation and money as he makes his way round #ColU

As well as our own SUFC Twitter:
Quote:
Superb reception for @tommy12leggett after his mammoth 39.1 mile run from @ColU_Official raising vital funds! #EssexDerby

Well done Tommy, I take my hat off to you. :happy:Stirling effort !

Also Im full of pride for all the donations being given to him as he goes around by our supporters.

We are even getting much praise from the Official Col Utd Twitter:
Quote:
Different class from the @SUFCRootsHall fans too, giving @tommy12leggett plenty of appreciation and money as he makes his way round #ColU

That's great stuff..... Just shows we all have humanity in this world... Well done to the Southend fans too.

Well done, great stuff.

Though im pleased he didnt enjoy the result of the game.

Massive well done to Tom, glad to see so many digging deep in their pockets and supporting him round the pitch at Roots Hall, looked to be limping rather but seemed in excellent spirits. The money I gave you Tom, and which you were deeply touched by and I said had been passed to me outside the Shrimpers, was from the poster on here called BB the legend lives on - a true gent!

I think he could have least jogged the lap of honour :winking:

Joking aside. I wish him well and hope he raised plenty of money. Yes, we're rivals, but we're all part of the football community...and when the chips are down, we're here to lift each other up. Well done fella :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hes a top bloke and I'm glad we were able to help raise the money. I donated £5 online and quite happily threw a few pound coins in too. Legend.

It was genuinely touching to see so many in the west and south putting notes into his collection bucket and shaking his hand. (couldn't see further round)
This is what I will remember this game for, not the mindless morons from both of sides.

The poor bloke could hardly walk as he did his lap of honour, but he pressed on before the game and at half time, an absolutely massive effort from Tom to achieve that run in the way he did. The Southend And Colchester fans responded magnificently and hopefully the final collections will have amassed enough money to make a really material difference to Alfie, his parents and his friends.

Back