• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mum at the Match

I have waded through all 29,or was it 30 pages, about the fight and tried desperately hard to reply yesterday.

I am appalled at how so many of you are quick to slur the names of a nice bunch of lads just because of their association with Ginge and his son due to the trouble on Saturday.

Let's be honest here - the group are all middle aged family men who are loyal supporters of Southend and have been for many years. Yes they are mouthy and like a bit of fun, but they are no different from many other supporters and are definately not trouble makers. I am one of the wives who attends as many Southend games as funds and commitments allow - home and away. My husband and young son attend all home matches and yes can be seen in the West Bank along with Ginge and the rest of the friends - quite often with their sons too.

Now for the truth of the initial fight.

*Please note that I do not condone fighting of any kind.

I am a mum who attended the game with my young son, my husband and friends on Saturday. Ginge came to sit with me because the 3 seats in front were empty at the time. He was sad - not angry 1. because his team were losing and 2. because of the incident in the pub before the game which involved his son

The initial incident began because a man, who had been very mouthy throughout the first half – quite normal at a football match - returned to his seat to find Ginge sitting in it talking to me. He told Ginge he was sitting there. Ginge humorously replied, no actually he was sitting there. The man proceeded to give lip and Ginge got up to leave. I suggested, as they were both Southend fans and wanted to watch the game, that the man sit in one of the empty seats alongside. He would not and gave more lip even though Ginge had got up from the seat. A punch was then thrown. The stewards tried to stop this and I think would have, however, Jamie got involved with a group further up. At this time I took my son and his friend to safety to sit higher up in the stands with their dads. I do not know what happened and do not know if any disabled people were involved or if Gower, Maher or any other team members names were mentioned, but they were not in my presence!

My husband has since spoken to Ginge. He is remorseful over the incident and would be the first person to admit that he should not have shown this behaviour, but as you say people do many things they wouldn't normally if their family r involved.

Ginge was wrong to fight, especially with his own fans, he knows that.

His son's behaviour is getting increasingly out of control and Ginge's friends have tried, on many occasions, to talk to him. He turns on them too. They accept him because of their friendship with Ginge, but how much longer this will go on, who knows. I feel Jamie has a lot of growing up to do and needs some help to overcome his behaviour difficulties - as you say he is volatile.

Ginge was known for trouble many years ago, but in recent years he has become a quieter man and does not usually get involved in trouble. He was definitely provoked on this occasion and although I don't condone his behaviour, I have some understanding of why it happened. Jamie, on the other hand, should not have got involved. Some of the friends did try and stop it, but when the testosterone is pumping things go too far.

Stewards did get hit when trying to restrain the men involved, which is very unfortunate, and I'm sure innocent people got caught up. I did not see the injured man, but hope that he was not as badly hurt as many of you are saying and wish him a speedy recovery if he was.
Now guys, please think about your attitudes and ensure you know the facts before you start making comments. The men involved will be dealt with appropriately I'm sure, but please know that I feel saddened that this involves a friend of mine, who I know to be a genuinely nice guy.

And please, please don't link the whole group of friends as being troublemakers just because of association - they truly are a nice group, who may at times be mouthy, just like many of you I'm sure, but they are not aggressive just loyal Southend fans and friends.

This isn't the first I have experienced trouble at away games with them though. If any was there at Kiddie in Jan. He nearly came to blows with Shrek and Jack just for them playing there drums.

Btw how old is Jamie?

Jamie also attacked the landlord of the Spread Eagle a couple of years ago when his mate was asked to leave because he had a young child with him (and kids are / were not allowed in the pub). On the way out, he decided to pull down the big screen by the door. Nice fella.

WS

rock.gif

I know I've said my piece and I have had time to reflect but as I see it what happend in front of thousands of people in the cold light of day is "common assault." Regardless of ginge and son's passion and heat of the moment reactions, which as some have suggested "..were out of character." Nevertheless what they did was done! As a consequence they will without doubt be judged on the facts. I accept that in hindsight they are sorry but it is a little late to bolt the door once the horse has scarpered, if you know what I mean.

Imagine me protesting my innocence when I have been captured on a speed camera. Even to offer a defence that I am normally respectful of the speed limit but occasionally through lapse of concentration I go over the limit. If I was caught then that is a fact. I did it so I will face the consequences.

Ginge and son will face the music for their actions and frankly speaking even if the person who received the savage beating was lippy I think it did not warrent such brutal action. As for the stewards, what did they do to deserve the punches?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Eternal Optimist @ April 25 2005,21:20)]I know I've said my piece and I have had time to reflect but as I see it what happend in front of thousands of people in the cold light of day is "common assault." Regardless of ginge and son's passion and heat of the moment reactions, which as some have suggested "..were out of character." Nevertheless what they did was done! As a consequence they will without doubt be judged on the facts. I accept that in hindsight they are sorry but it is a little late to bolt the door once the horse has scarpered, if you know what I mean.

Imagine me protesting my innocence when I have been captured on a speed camera. Even to offer a defence that I am normally respectful of the speed limit but occasionally through lapse of concentration I go over the limit. If I was caught then that is a fact. I did it so I will face the consequences.

Ginge and son will face the music for their actions and frankly speaking even if the person who received the savage beating was lippy I think it did not warrent such brutal action. As for the stewards, what did they do to deserve the punches?
WELL SAID

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SuperShrimper @ April 25 2005,21:10)]This isn't the first I have experienced trouble at away games with them though. If any was there at Kiddie in Jan. He nearly came to blows with Shrek and Jack just for them playing there drums.

Btw how old is Jamie?
who wouldnt come to blows with that shrek..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Its grim up north! @ April 25 2005,22:47)]Kiddy, Wycombe, Northampton and Oxford...................Where next?!!!!!!!

rock.gif
**** off.. you are hounding these people!

you lot are a bunch of w*****s read the first post to get the true story before you accuse people of wrong doing to me they are not (ginge & son ) totally guitly in this & you lot sould realise this, if you have somthing agaisnt ginge, jamie & crew then say so to there faces and not on here cause beleive me it is more hurtful to read it in here than to here it to your face. I am not sticking up for what they done as personally I think they were wrong but just remeber there are two sides to the story and the lady above has given her version as she was talking to one the accused. My english may not be perfect but after reading post after post on this incident you lot make me fill sick as you are the perfect supporter sitting in your seat not shouting or giving abuse to the opposing team, DON'T MAKE ME LANGTH I have been following SOUTHEND home & away for about 22 years need I say more.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 26 2005,00:28)]you lot are a bunch of w*****s read the first post to get the true story before you accuse people of wrong doing to me they are not (ginge & son ) totally guitly in this & you lot sould realise this, if you have somthing agaisnt ginge, jamie & crew then say so to there faces and not on here cause beleive me it is more hurtful to read it in here than to here it to your face. I am not sticking up for what they done as personally I think they were wrong but just remeber there are two sides to the story and the lady above has given her version as she was talking to one the accused. My english may not be perfect but after reading post after post on this incident  you lot make me fill sick as you are the perfect supporter sitting in your seat not shouting or giving abuse to the opposing team, DON'T MAKE ME LANGTH I have been following SOUTHEND home & away for about 22 years need I say more.
Not totally guilty.....

I wasn't there, I'm not even in the country, so I'm not going to pass judgement on the whys and wherefores of the altercation BUT the concensus seems to be that the two in question did indeed assault this man and that is all that really matters, regardless of provocation. Of the assault they appear to be absolutely guilty.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 26 2005,00:28)]you lot are a bunch of w*****s read the first post to get the true story before you accuse people of wrong doing to me they are not (ginge & son ) totally guitly in this & you lot sould realise this, if you have somthing agaisnt ginge, jamie & crew then say so to there faces and not on here cause beleive me it is more hurtful to read it in here than to here it to your face. I am not sticking up for what they done as personally I think they were wrong but just remeber there are two sides to the story and the lady above has given her version as she was talking to one the accused. My english may not be perfect but after reading post after post on this incident you lot make me fill sick as you are the perfect supporter sitting in your seat not shouting or giving abuse to the opposing team, DON'T MAKE ME LANGTH I have been following SOUTHEND home & away for about 22 years need I say more.
Are you suggesting most of us would have done the same?

First post does make interesting reading but there's been a lot of stories flying around about this.

As someone said though, it's a kangaroo court on here and surely everyone's had their say by now.

seems ike ginger and son are peace loving family men who never like to get involved in aggro.
laugh.gif

Just to reply to the above.

Jamie is 20 years old - almost an adult I admit, but judging by my own 20 year old and friends - some do still have growing up to do.

I agree the two were in the wrong I never said any different, what I am saying though is that the amount of posts that suggest their friends are the same is unfair. They do not get into trouble. I'm sure on the odd occassion they may have had disagreements with other fans over views - but not physical fights or abuse.

As for Kidderminster I was there and saw no trouble - I believe Jamie was a little drunk and got lary but the friends were definately not involved because they were standing with me!

And by the way, Ginge was not at Kidderminster!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mum at the Match @ April 26 2005,07:31)]Just to reply to the above.  

Jamie is 20 years old - almost an adult I admit, but judging by my own 20 year old and friends - some do still have growing up to do.

I agree the two were in the wrong I never said any different, what I am saying though is that the amount of posts that suggest their friends are the same is unfair.  They do not get into trouble.  I'm sure on the odd occassion they may have had disagreements with other fans over views - but not physical fights or abuse.

As for Kidderminster I was there and saw no trouble - I believe Jamie was a little drunk and got lary but the friends were definately not involved because they were standing with me!

And by the way, Ginge was not at Kidderminster!
Just as a matter of interest, does Jamie respond to you? Or has the situation never arisen?

The reason for asking is that while some men see any male as a threat, they generally see females otherwise. The most effective steward I have ever seen was a lady at West Ham when we were there a few years back for a cup match. There was some disagreement then and she just came into a pretty hostile atmosphere, was totally calm, spoke in non-aggressive tones (almost motherly) and the effect was amazing. The heat went completely out of the situation.

Just curious. It's obvious the lad needs some sort of anger management.

Back