• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

tommytwoholes

Boss plays big guns in Trophy
25th January 2005

ANDY KING will field his strongest possible side at Roots Hall with the manager challenging his players to add ‘medal winner’ to their CV.

While fringe players have been used in previous rounds and indeed previous seasons, the manager will thrust all his big guns into action.

The only omission will be Steve Jenkins who is cup-tied after playing in an earlier round for Peterborough.

On the plus side Derby County have granted Lee Holmes permission to play and club captain Matt Hewlett’s neck injury has recovered sufficiently for him to be included in the squad.

King said: “No-one will be rested. I’m not going to play a weakened side if I want to win a football match.

“There is a lot at stake. Obviously it is important financially to the directors but my players haven’t tasted success here so I’d imagine it’s massively important to them.

“I think it’s very important to have some success on your CV. You want to say you’ve played in a cup final and to have played at Cardiff.

“They have got to be up for it. It is a football match we need to win.”

As for tonight’s opponents, King has run the rule over the Shrimpers once this year and despatched Steve Robinson to Field Mill to watch Southend at Mansfield on Saturday.

He said: “I sent Robbo to watch them, it’s a good education for him, and he came to the same conclusions as me.

“Southend are a very, very good footballing side. There isn’t a great divide in terms of division. They’re right up there in their league.”

King reiterated his belief that success in the LDV was not at the detriment of the play-off quest.

The manager still maintains his team can produce a consistent run to help them climb an inconsistent league.

He said: “I’m so frustrated that we can’t put a run together.

“We are 11th in the league, it hasn’t been fantastic, I admit that as the manager. But it isn’t a total disaster.”

King has analysed the situation and feels Town have struggled to find either of the necessary formulae for success.

He said: “We had two goalscorers last season and that obviously hasn’t been the case this time.

“Sam Parkin has done his bit again but the goals haven’t come from elsewhere. I think Andy Gurney had scored seven or so by this stage last year. We haven’t had that this time.

“You can have more clean sheets, which means you’re hard to beat, or you can score more goals than anyone else.

“We’ve fallen between the two categories.”

Rory Fallon could be handed another opportunity tonight and King insists the most effective way for his forwards to keep their place is to do what they are paid for.

He said: “Go in there, stay in the box, score goals and you stay in the team.”

If they 'stay in the box' will they not be off-side?
rock.gif

smile.gif

I think it's going to be a cracking game tonight, but like I posted on Tommy's other thread, not many goals.........well, not until we score the winner in extra time!

Come on you blue boys!

blues.gif

Well an exciting game would be nice, the games served up at RH of late have been dire to say the least!!.

4-3 win after ET would be nice!.

biggrin.gif

Can't see any other outcome than a low scoring defeat.
sad.gif

But I live in hope...

yeh, ive got bad vibes about this one. but then again i was suicidal at the same stage last season versus qpr. looked what happend there

oh come on we are more than capable of turning this lot over...

we seem to have been saving our better performances for this trophy the last few seasons

im not bothered really, 3 points saturday is a must.

As I said in another thread, if someone said to me that we'd get 15 points from our next 5 league games if we lost this... I would take that.

Offers?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Jan. 25 2005,14:10)]As I said in another thread, if someone said to me that we'd get 15 points from our next 5 league games if we lost this... I would take that.

Offers?
I'll take that. I'll just give the ref a bell and get the wheels in motion....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Jan. 25 2005,19:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Jan. 25 2005,14:10)]As I said in another thread, if someone said to me that we'd get 15 points from our next 5 league games if we lost this... I would take that.

Offers?
I'll take that. I'll just give the ref a bell and get the wheels in motion....
Never bunging that ref again. Ah well, at least I don't have to ensure we win the next five....

Back