• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Conservative party conference

Sorry I'm lost....or at least I think I am.

On the one hand you seem to be saying for an individual to declare their background is not discriminatory but if a company declares the very same thing it becomes discriminatory?

Doesn't it depend on how the information is used?...which according to Rudd is to encourage Companies to train and identify local skill shortages.

The real problem for me is that some racist people will use that information to guide their judgement, i.e. they may stop giving business to a company that they deem to be too full of foreigners.

The real problem for me is that some racist people will use that information to guide their judgement, i.e. they may stop giving business to a company that they deem to be too full of foreigners.

It's an interesting point certainly, that should a local business decide to support another business that is training and employing locally could actually be deemed as racist due to motive.

Discrimination happens when job application forms demand to know the persons ethnic background.

Factory workers wanted.

Does it matter if your white English or Bangladeshi....yet they want the answer in order they can choose before any person actually reaches interview stage.

For those that have worked in the public sector, we have regularly been asked to tick boxes to say which ethnicity we are. I never liked having to chose a box to fit into so just to annoy the powers that be, I would often tick the one marked African.

Discrimination happens when job application forms demand to know the persons ethnic background.

Factory workers wanted.

Does it matter if your white English or Bangladeshi....yet they want the answer in order they can choose before any person actually reaches interview stage.

Would it matter if discrimination was working the other way and only Labour from abroad was employed?

Last edited:
For those that have worked in the public sector, we have regularly been asked to tick boxes to say which ethnicity we are. I never liked having to chose a box to fit into so just to annoy the powers that be, I would often tick the one marked African.

I have seen application forms with about 50 nationalities on them...PC madness.

Would it matter if discrimanation was working the other way and only Labour from abroad was employed?

Labour created 1 million jobs with 950,000 of those jobs going to foreigners,that can never be right in fair minded reasonable people.

British people should have first dibs.

Labour created 1 million jobs with 950,000 of those jobs going to foreigners,that can never be right in fair minded reasonable people.

British people should have first dibs.

Haha, now you're just making up **** to fit your narrow minded perception of the world. :hilarious:

Right minded companies will choose the best candidate for the job, regardless if they're from Romania, Rekjavik, Rangoon or Romford. Some Companies (and I've had the misfortune of working for one for a brief period of time) will go out of their way to choose a white British man.

Are you finally admitting your ignorance of the wider world? Well done. It was about time. :clap:

Haha certainly not,you do not believe your nice LP would stoop so low creating all those jobs and giving them to foreigners...typical lefty head in the sand:hilarious:

Haha, now you're just making up **** to fit your narrow minded perception of the world. :hilarious:

Right minded companies will choose the best candidate for the job, regardless if they're from Romania, Rekjavik, Rangoon or Romford. Some Companies (and I've had the misfortune of working for one for a brief period of time) will go out of their way to choose a white British man.

What like the Labour party

Successive Conservative leaders over the past few decades have done nothing to endear me to them, and I have never voted Tory in my life. Theresa May, however, might just have created a chink in my non-Tory armour. She appears to genuinely believe in the policies she is advocating, but her biggest problem is the cabinet chums she has about her. I will watch with some interest to see whether they can walk her talk or not, and whether she has the strength of character to 'help' them with this if they need it.

Her handling of the Brexit journey will go a long way to convincing non aligned voters about her leadership abilities.

Successive Conservative leaders over the past few decades have done nothing to endear me to them, and I have never voted Tory in my life. Theresa May, however, might just have created a chink in my non-Tory armour. She appears to genuinely believe in the policies she is advocating, but her biggest problem is the cabinet chums she has about her. I will watch with some interest to see whether they can walk her talk or not, and whether she has the strength of character to 'help' them with this if they need it.

Her handling of the Brexit journey will go a long way to convincing non aligned voters about her leadership abilities.

As someone who I believe voted remain what do you think she should do in terms of reaching out to those who wished to stay in?

As someone who I believe voted remain what do you think she should do in terms of reaching out to those who wished to stay in?

A tricky shout. I did vote remain but I recognise that the country overall wanted out, and I accept that decision. For me, I want to see that she will negotiate as fair an exit as is possible, where existing markets are still accessible. Most importantly I want our children to have the opportunity to travel and work in Europe without too much pain. What I want though isn't necessarily going to be what other remainers want and I suspect some will never see any deal as being the 'right one' for them.

The more I think about your question the more I think it is very difficult to answer, so I'll go for what I reckon a fair minded person would think. Accept that Britain doesn't rule the waves any more, accept that our economy could be seriously damaged by the vote, understand that the new markets mentioned are there but not necessarily accessible any time soon, and plan an exit that covers these possibilities/probabilities. Show me and others that there has been proper thought put into the decision making and explain (at high level) the logic and I will be as content as I'm going to be.

Back