• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Conservative party conference

A tricky shout. I did vote remain but I recognise that the country overall wanted out, and I accept that decision. For me, I want to see that she will negotiate as fair an exit as is possible, where existing markets are still accessible. Most importantly I want our children to have the opportunity to travel and work in Europe without too much pain. What I want though isn't necessarily going to be what other remainers want and I suspect some will never see any deal as being the 'right one' for them.

The more I think about your question the more I think it is very difficult to answer, so I'll go for what I reckon a fair minded person would think. Accept that Britain doesn't rule the waves any more, accept that our economy could be seriously damaged by the vote, understand that the new markets mentioned are there but not necessarily accessible any time soon, and plan an exit that covers these possibilities/probabilities. Show me and others that there has been proper thought put into the decision making and explain (at high level) the logic and I will be as content as I'm going to be.

I understand 85% of our trade is outside the EU..many of our firms have been dragged down by EU red tape.

Within 5 years the EU IMO will not exist ,Germany may have to pay the lost revenue when we leave,what a burden for hard pressed German workers...Eastern bloc look at Brexit with great interest,France and Italy both want their own referendum.

Game over for those in Brussels.

I understand 85% of our trade is outside the EU..many of our firms have been dragged down by EU red tape.

Within 5 years the EU IMO will not exist ,Germany may have to pay the lost revenue when we leave,what a burden for hard pressed German workers...Eastern bloc look at Brexit with great interest,France and Italy both want their own referendum.

Do you not think think though Mrs B, that it should be recognised that whilst leave won, it wasn't by the greatest of margins....and that there needs to be a compromise somewhere along the line?

Not a lot, if anything, to do with the question Callan asked me but there you go. You're entitled to your opinion mrsb, but you have been known to be wrong on occasion, and I think you are wrong big time on your conclusions here. Only time will tell on EU longevity.

The snippets I have heard of Mrs May's speech are very good; talk is cheap however AND now she needs to deliver, with in reasonable limits and timescale.

85% sounds questionably high - where did you get that stat from?

Exports from the UK to EU.......44.6% in 2014.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160105160709/http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/international-transactions/outward-foreign-affiliates-statistics/how-important-is-the-european-union-to-uk-trade-and-investment-/sty-eu.html

Absolutely she can only be judged on her actions not words.

I totally agree, but it must help her case that unaligned voters are prepared to listen to her words in advance of any action. That's not happened too much in Corbyn's case.

(I'm using Corbyn as a comparison by the way, not an opportunity to slate the bloke on this thread.)

Successive Conservative leaders over the past few decades have done nothing to endear me to them, and I have never voted Tory in my life. Theresa May, however, might just have created a chink in my non-Tory armour. She appears to genuinely believe in the policies she is advocating, but her biggest problem is the cabinet chums she has about her. I will watch with some interest to see whether they can walk her talk or not, and whether she has the strength of character to 'help' them with this if they need it.

Her handling of the Brexit journey will go a long way to convincing non aligned voters about her leadership abilities.
The big thing that has come out of the conference is immigration and at last someone is going to tackle this - someone whose words we can believe unlike the person in charge of immigration in 2010 who claimed they would reduce it to under 100,000.....hang on - that was Theresa May.

Within 5 years the EU IMO will not exist ,Germany may have to pay the lost revenue when we leave,what a burden for hard pressed German workers...Eastern bloc look at Brexit with great interest,France and Italy both want their own referendum.Game over for those in Brussels.

My understanding is that approximately 70% of the UK exports go to the EU.

The other comments of yours which I've higlighted are quite mad.

85% sounds questionably high - where did you get that stat from?

Good question.

Exports from the UK to EU.......44.6% in 2014.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160105160709/http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/international-transactions/outward-foreign-affiliates-statistics/how-important-is-the-european-union-to-uk-trade-and-investment-/sty-eu.html

Do you not think think though Mrs B, that it should be recognised that whilst leave won, it wasn't by the greatest of margins....and that there needs to be a compromise somewhere along the line?

I was very surprised at the result to be honest.

The people demand control over immigration,I cannot see how the Government can fully control the border without giving in to EU demands on trading with free movement of people.

The only thing which I can think of would be,immigrants can not claim any state hand outs for say 10 years,this includes tax credits..they must have a job and place to stay too.

Being fair our generous benefit system draws them and I cannot blame them whatsoever for wanting to come here.

I was tempted to respond to some other posts on here but the whole thread has been MrsBlued. Her stat seemed plucked out of the air so I used the first link I found that seemed a believable presentation. There is no way that the continent we are part of only takes 15% of our exports and the fact someone could state that throws a cloud over all of their other figures.

The big thing that has come out of the conference is immigration and at last someone is going to tackle this - someone whose words we can believe unlike the person in charge of immigration in 2010 who claimed they would reduce it to under 100,000.....hang on - that was Theresa May.

Very good ***, but surely she was being Cameron's sock puppet when saying that?

I was very surprised at the result to be honest.

The people demand control over immigration,I cannot see how the Government can fully control the border without giving in to EU demands on trading with free movement of people.

The only thing which I can think of would be,immigrants can not claim any state hand outs for say 10 years,this includes tax credits..they must have a job and place to stay too.

Being fair our generous benefit system draws them and I cannot blame them whatsoever for wanting to come here.
But as we are all aware EU migration makes up less than half of migration into the UK. As Home Secretary Theresa May could have reduced immigration if she had the desire and the skill to do so. She didn't need to wait to leave the EU. It's as if she is just saying what she thinks people want to hear. Why wait 6 years before acting?

Greece will need another bail out very soon,how long can this madness continue for...Hungary voted 98% (low turn out) no more immigrant quota...Italians want their own referendum likewise the French people.

The EU ultimately is controlled by the left but the right are making vast strides for power.

When we leave and have great success then other countries will see the folly of the EU IMHO .

I was tempted to respond to some other posts on here but the whole thread has been MrsBlued. Her stat seemed plucked out of the air so I used the first link I found that seemed a believable presentation. There is no way that the continent we are part of only takes 15% of our exports and the fact someone could state that throws a cloud over all of their other figures.

Hence i did state "I understand" regarding that figure...my source was from several leavers which has never been challenged by remainners.

Hence i did state "I understand" regarding that figure...my source was from several leavers which has never been challenged by remainners.
I'd be surprised that a figure so wide of the correct figure would be stated by several leavers, maybe it was the same people who claimed we send £350 million a week to the EU. I'd advise not quoting that figure again as those you got it from seem to be lying.

Anyone who can be pushed around by Cameron does not have the backbone to lead this country through a period of such massive change.

I think she has done ok,whether she can deliver is another thing.

Cameron was the gaffer so May had to follow his lead.

Anyone who can be pushed around by Cameron does not have the backbone to lead this country through a period of such massive change.

You're taking me into realms that I'm naïve over obviously. I thought Cabinet Ministers delivered whatever message a Prime Minister wanted them to? Otherwise there would be political anarchy in the Cabinet of the day.

I think she has done ok,whether she can deliver is another thing.

Cameron was the gaffer so May had to follow his lead.
He is well out of the picture so if she want to blame him for her atrocious record as a minister making a hash of passport control, claiming she would reduce immigration to 100k then seeing it rise to 300k, alienation the police force, making a hash of deportations - if she wants to blame that on Cameron she could give that a try I guess.

Back