• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Never liked Bentley to be honest, been at fault for a fare few goals over the past few season. Also met him a few times and he is very arrogant, clearly thinks he is the big I am.

Are all goalies at Southend coached to stay on their line, even when the ball is played onto their 6 yard line?

Last season Bentley came for crosses etc all the time but he doesn't seem to be this season. It's a worry

Last season Bentley came for crosses etc all the time but he doesn't seem to be this season. It's a worry

Maybe he is off so doesn't really care anymore, just going through the motions etc. his kicking and distribution is woeful at times as well

Never liked Bentley to be honest, been at fault for a fare few goals over the past few season. Also met him a few times and he is very arrogant, clearly thinks he is the big I am.
sorry can't agree - met young Mr Bentley at the sponsorship evening last season when I have had the pleasure to sit on the same table - a very polite young man - answered all our questions honestly regarding his future, agents and any other question thrown at him

Nothing, thats the point. Have to claiming or at least punching that clear when thats landing on the 6 yard line.

As the ball came in I thought he should have come off his line and claimed it. Not like Bentley to stay rooted to the line like that (if it was smith I would have expected it). Could he have saved the header? Maybe, but not coming off the line initially was the main problem. Having said that he is already a far superior keeper than smith and nitpicking over his performance is taking attention away from the real problem, scoring goals! Bentley is quite literally the least of our worries:sad:.

sorry can't agree - met young Mr Bentley at the sponsorship evening last season when I have had the pleasure to sit on the same table - a very polite young man - answered all our questions honestly regarding his future, agents and any other question thrown at him

Believe what you want to, but I doubt any pro player will be completely honest about their future or anything football related. I met him yesterday at boots and laces before the game as my son was there for an academy photo shoot, he had the attitude of someone who didn't give a ****, in the end my son asked him if he was actually playing!

Believe what you want to, but I doubt any pro player will be completely honest about their future or anything football related. I met him yesterday at boots and laces before the game as my son was there for an academy photo shoot, he had the attitude of someone who didn't give a ****, in the end my son asked him if he was actually playing!

I'm sorry if young Bentley came across like that - i'm sure he would be disappointed to hear that he did .
As to believing what I want - I do indeed and if I meet a **** I like to think I can suss he's a **** and Bentley ain't one of them ----- imo of course:smile:

I'm sorry if young Bentley came across like that - i'm sure he would be disappointed to hear that he did .
As to believing what I want - I do indeed and if I meet a **** I like to think I can suss he's a **** and Bentley ain't one of them ----- imo of course:smile:

Agreed mate, just saying I've met him a few times and he comes across very differently to how you found him to be. At Billericay in preseason my son had photos with at least ten players and got autographs, the one that refused was Bentley. I just dont like him personally that's all, but that's just my opinion.

As the ball came in I thought he should have come off his line and claimed it. Not like Bentley to stay rooted to the line like that (if it was smith I would have expected it). Could he have saved the header? Maybe, but not coming off the line initially was the main problem. Having said that he is already a far superior keeper than smith and nitpicking over his performance is taking attention away from the real problem, scoring goals! Bentley is quite literally the least of our worries:sad:.

Can't rep you again yet, but totally agree with all of that. Bentley really is the very least of our worries at the moment. A bad run of results can and usually does affect the whole team's individual form. He's proven what a top keeper he can be and if he's having a rough patch that coincides with the poor team form then I'm really not too worried at all.

Agreed mate, just saying I've met him a few times and he comes across very differently to how you found him to be. At Billericay in preseason my son had photos with at least ten players and got autographs, the one that refused was Bentley. I just dont like him personally that's all, but that's just my opinion.

tis strange - i'm not one for meeting players - although now and again we do bump into them with TZ coach at motorway service stations and they always come across as friendly and are happy to have photos taken and chat - when probably all they want to do is mellow out get home and then 50 odd shrimpers come bowling in :smile:

What was his reason for refusing just out of interest?

What was his reason for refusing just out of interest?

No idea, he was hanging around the edge of the pitch with the other players, most of them signed autographs and had pics taken, he said no thanks.

Yup, nothing like a controversial opinion to get the juices flowing.
He is our best player by some margin, and our most sellable one. The first goal on Saturday was outside the six-yard box: check it on You Tube. The second, I don't know. Most of the time, you would expect a shot to be saved at the near post. Unsighted? No matter.
As for arrogant, he is always last off the pitch having thanked the fans, so I'm assuming John, he trod on your corns at one stage. I'd get rid of everyone else first, including Brown, and sacking the manager, isn't the answer either.
By all means give us an example of how he is the 'big I am.'

What did bentley do for the first goal exactly? Firm header that he got a hand on but couldn't keep out, yeah, HUGE howler that. Yep, start blaming Bentley for the fact that we can only score one goal (a penalty) against an average at best conference outfit, erm ok...:nope:

You are indeed correct. Having seen it on the lowlights I agree Bentley did nothing wrong. However, that wouldn't have stopped the anti-Smith brigade arguing that he should have come for it, if he were in goal.

No idea, he was hanging around the edge of the pitch with the other players, most of them signed autographs and had pics taken, he said no thanks.

Must say I'm very surprised by this. Players like Corr, Coker, Hurst and normally Bentley will talk and sign autographs and do the selfie photo thing, beyond the call of duty when mixed with fans. I have seen a few that can't be bothered, but never Bentley. You must have caught him on a very bad day.

I think it is a bit like Leonard. He had a superb season last season and that would only have increased expectations. If he makes a great save, it isn't seen as one as he is expected to make them.

I also think that the 4 in front have to share part of the blame. Last season we had Coker, White, Prosser and another central defender on loan. This season, we have had a defensively-poor Williams on loan to cover Coker and had Bolger/Thompson partnering Prosser. While I think Thompson is decent, he isn't near the standard of Kiernan, Egan or Sokolik.

We need to get Coker back, send Williams back to Palace or consider moving him onto the left wing, and have someone who will protect the back 4 and just sit in front of them sweeping up any runners.

I think it is a bit like Leonard. He had a superb season last season and that would only have increased expectations. If he makes a great save, it isn't seen as one as he is expected to make them.

I also think that the 4 in front have to share part of the blame. Last season we had Coker, White, Prosser and another central defender on loan. This season, we have had a defensively-poor Williams on loan to cover Coker and had Bolger/Thompson partnering Prosser. While I think Thompson is decent, he isn't near the standard of Kiernan, Egan or Sokolik.

We need to get Coker back, send Williams back to Palace or consider moving him onto the left wing, and have someone who will protect the back 4 and just sit in front of them sweeping up any runners.

We could do with a centre half who can jump and impose himself. None at the present can.

Must say I'm very surprised by this. Players like Corr, Coker, Hurst and normally Bentley will talk and sign autographs and do the selfie photo thing, beyond the call of duty when mixed with fans. I have seen a few that can't be bothered, but never Bentley. You must have caught him on a very bad day.

Maybe, thats a possibility, didnt stop my son being a bit upset though.

Yup, nothing like a controversial opinion to get the juices flowing.
He is our best player by some margin, and our most sellable one. The first goal on Saturday was outside the six-yard box: check it on You Tube. The second, I don't know. Most of the time, you would expect a shot to be saved at the near post. Unsighted? No matter.
As for arrogant, he is always last off the pitch having thanked the fans, so I'm assuming John, he trod on your corns at one stage. I'd get rid of everyone else first, including Brown, and sacking the manager, isn't the answer either.
By all means give us an example of how he is the 'big I am.'

No need to, i know first hand what ive experienced, some will agree and some wont. Its just my opinion.

Back