• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No need to, i know first hand what ive experienced, some will agree and some wont. Its just my opinion.

How can 'some' agree with what you've experienced when we don't know what it is? Always been a smiling decent lad as far as I can see.
And by the way, the first Chester goal, the header, is two yards outside the six-yard box: I've just looked at it again. Any keeper coming for that is asking for trouble.

Paul Smith is not that bad and has been unfairly picked upon.

You were clearly not at the Dagenham & Redbridge JPT game last season or the Walsall League Cup match this year I take it? Smith has played at a higher level but has looked low on confidence and is no way a better keeper than Bentley. To bring him in now would be insane and weaken the team even further. Ted Smith is not ready for the 1st team yet and looked dodgy indeed v Harlow recently. Bentley is miles better than both and should stay in the team - end of.

You were clearly not at the Dagenham & Redbridge JPT game last season or the Walsall League Cup match this year I take it? Smith has played at a higher level but has looked low on confidence and is no way a better keeper than Bentley. To bring him in now would be insane and weaken the team even further. Ted Smith is not ready for the 1st team yet and looked dodgy indeed v Harlow recently. Bentley is miles better than both and should stay in the team - end of.
Just for the sake of balance, Smith's best ever performance for SUFC was on another planet to anything Benltley has done (so far). I have never heard anyone argue against that point. Smith was no 1 until he was injured and then had a family bereavement keeping him out of the team. Dan literally took the opportunity with both hands and has not looked back. He is a good keeper in my opinion but is affected by confidence and some of our support will never het behind him

Last edited:
Should attack his team mates with scissors - he'd become a legend.
Why be silly about it? He has been below average recently.like many have said if smith did the same he would be abused all day and night on here. But because Bentley does all this he gets away with it. Not saying it's a bad thing he does sign autographs and tweets fans so they can be happy that a player has spoke to them but it shouldn't stop is discussing his below average performances rwcently without needing to be told how great he is for doing somthjng pretty simply that's takes a few seconds of his time

Through the grapevine heard that is old man is saying that he is going to west ham and being loaned back

How can 'some' agree with what you've experienced when we don't know what it is? Always been a smiling decent lad as far as I can see.
And by the way, the first Chester goal, the header, is two yards outside the six-yard box: I've just looked at it again. Any keeper coming for that is asking for trouble.

Why do keep referring to this goal on Saturday, I've never blamed him for this one.

Met him once when I had lunch at Boots and Laces wit the team. Nice bloke, happy to chat. Messaged him a few time on FB and he has relied to me. Decent bloke as far as I am concerned

Why do keep referring to this goal on Saturday, I've never blamed him for this one.

You're right. It was the fact he was responsible for a 'fare' (sic) few goals that threw me. Mind, he saved boatloads more lesser keepers (Smith, poor lad) would have let in.
I think you just don't like him personally. For me, the best player can be the reincarnation of Attila the Hun as long as he does the job on the pitch.
Over and out, Jon - if you think Bentley is a poor player, I'm seriously glad you're not the next manager.

You're right. It was the fact he was responsible for a 'fare' (sic) few goals that threw me. Mind, he saved boatloads more lesser keepers (Smith, poor lad) would have let in.
I think you just don't like him personally. For me, the best player can be the reincarnation of Attila the Hun as long as he does the job on the pitch.
Over and out, Jon - if you think Bentley is a poor player, I'm seriously glad you're not the next manager.

Why do you keep stating things I might have said or might think? I've never said he is a poor player. I said he has been responsible for a few goals which is fact, prove otherwise. I've also applauded when he has made a number of excellent saves, which have won us games. By the same token we can all criticise any one of the players for messing up at one stage or another, whether gifting a goal at the back or missing a penalty or a chance in front of goal. It appears I've become a target on here based on the fact that on occasion I have met Bentley and wasn't impressed. Others have spent time with him and feel different. I don't see why I should be expected or asked to prove my feelings or thoughts on this. For what it's worth, I follow Dan on twitter and have sent him many tweets congratulating him or wishing him luck. I don't hate the guy, I just made a comment based on an actual event in particular which some appear to have blown up to be something bigger than it is. It's just typical of the zone at present, that a person can't have an opinion without being shot down. I apologise if I appear to have upset you or anyone else, but it's my opinion I feel it to be right. As I've said I don't hate dan, I think he has his faults the same as any player at this level, but all the time he continues to play for the club I will support him.

Can't believe some of the bollocks read on here.

A keeper is only as good as the defence in front if him and that defence has been woeful at times. Bentley is a young keeper learning the trade and yet he has made some amazing saves to keep us in games. Can't think of a obvious handling error in his time with us. Big clubs are sniffing round for a reason - he is a class act.

How many poor to average keepers have we had in recent league two memory. Only Glen Morris was any good really in the last six years and he was never the same after that long lay off.

As for him being in twitter I don't know what you people want at times. Bentley always makes a point if thanking the fans, he does nothing but promote the club in a positive light and he looked devastated to lose in the play offs. He seems to be a decent family chap with his Mrs he is not seen out in clubs at night.....what more do you want?

My tip is enjoy him why you can. I hope Teddy Smith is as good as I doubt we will hold on to Bentley unless we go up.

Back