• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bring back the Death Penalty?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
According to Sky News, MPs may be about to debate the reintroduction of the death penalty:

Sky News; said:
MPs could be forced into a landmark vote on the restoration of the death penalty because of a new e-petitions scheme.
Commons leader Sir George Young has already said they should not ignore voters and shy away from debating the issue.
Sir George warned it would damage democracy to ignore strong opinions among members of the public "or pretend that their views do not exist".
He spoke out ahead of the publication of the first submissions to the new e-petitions scheme, which could see the most popular appeals discussed in Parliament.
Among the most prominent is one calling for legislation allowing child killers and those who murder on-duty police officers to face execution.
It has been presented by Paul Staines, who writes the libertarian Guido Fawkes blog, and has already been backed by several MPs.
If it is signed by the required 100,000 supporters or more, then the cross-party Backbench Business Committee will decide whether it will be debated.
Sir George played down fears about airing the subject - which was effectively abolished as a sentence for murder in the UK in 1965.
"The site has been widely welcomed as a realistic way to revitalise public engagement in Parliament," he wrote in the Daily Mail.
"But there have been some who have been concerned by some of the subjects which could end up being debated - for example, the restoration of capital punishment.
"The last time this was debated - during the passage of the Human Rights Act in 1998 - restoration was rejected by 158 votes.
"But, if lots of people want Parliament to do something which it rejects, then it is up to MPs to explain the reasons to their constituents. What else is Parliament for?
"People have strong opinions, and it does not serve democracy well if we ignore them or pretend that their views do not exist."
Conservative MP Priti Patel said such a debate was long overdue and that she favoured restoring capital punishment "for the most serious and significant crimes" - a position echoed by party colleague Andrew Turner.
Another Tory, Philip Davies, told the newspaper he would like to see all murders punishable by death.
Sir George said hundreds of petitions had been submitted on subjects "from setting up an English Parliament to ensuring Formula One remains free-to-air".
Any petition deemed to be libellous, offensive, not related to government or duplicates existing open petitions will be rejected.
Moderators will also block any that concern honours and appointments.

With the vast improvements in DNA and forensic findings, is it time for a more up to date viewpoint from the cross section of SZ posters at large? For myself, I believe that if the evidence is 100% irrefutable and for the most serious of crimes (serial rape; 1st degree murder; serial murderers; child rapists; terrorism) then the death sentence should be implemented. I certainly don't agree with the Tory MP quoted in the article, Philip Davies, that ALL murders should be punishable by death because there is the added complication there of self defence or retaliation, I do also think it's time we differentiated between 1st and 2nd degree murder and not just murder and manslaughter.

Over to you guys.....

Another SZ perrenial topic that comes back more than herpes.

Regardless of any increases in technology, humans are fallable and/or prone to corruption or mistakes, so no.

It doesn't work as a deterrant and probably makes a society far more violent in the process.

With the vast improvements in DNA and forensic findings, is it time for a more up to date viewpoint from the cross section of SZ posters at large? For myself, I believe that if the evidence is 100% irrefutable and for the most serious of crimes (serial rape; 1st degree murder; serial murderers; child rapists; terrorism) then the death sentence should be implemented. I certainly don't agree with the Tory MP quoted in the article, Philip Davies, that ALL murders should be punishable by death because there is the added complication there of self defence or retaliation, I do also think it's time we differentiated between 1st and 2nd degree murder and not just murder and manslaughter.

Over to you guys.....

Read this book and tell me you still agree with capital punishment:

http://www.jgrisham.com/the-innocent-man/

The story is a little old, (murder committed in the 1980's) and it was DNA evidence that finally proved his innocence, but whilst policemen and prosecution lawyers like this exist any type of evidence will be open to corruption.

I see this as another product of a coalition - the Libs get a vote on AV, the Tories want a vote on capital punishment. At a time where we are actively attacking other states on a human rights agenda why drag us down to the level of China and therefore remove our right to scrutinise them. Pathetic and pointless that this should become an issue.

Another SZ perrenial topic that comes back more than herpes.

Regardless of any increases in technology, humans are fallable and/or prone to corruption or mistakes, so no.

It doesn't work as a deterrant and probably makes a society far more violent in the process.
once we have got rid of this pointless debate can someone advise me on a way to perminantly rid myself of this damn herpes?

Completely against bringing it back and they never will but I do have to admit with the recent events in Norway it did make me ponder for a while.

God not this again.

cisfor.gif

I'm on the fence on this one, because in principle I agree in an eye for an eye; but I know I'd end up being the poor bugger who was executed and later proven innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post I vote yes, but only for the c______s. I assume this is ironic? or some post ironic devils advocacy thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
In other news, nice to see another thread become an offensive slanging match...
Don't envy your job these days mods.

If there was a proviso that it only applied to convicted people that supported Col Ewe, Borient, or Wet Sham, then I'm all in favour. It'd just be pest control, humane culling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back