• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Javea Shrimper

On Monday May 3rd 2004, the Evening Echo published the following :

Southend United co-owner Ron Martin insisted it was all systems go for the Shrimpers new stadium following the positive outcome of the B&Q Fossetts Farm enquiry. The Seasiders major shareholder said he was delighted at the decision and declared the verdict would help secure a brighter future for the cash-strapped Third Division side.

"This is the culmination of four year's hard work for us,"said Martin, Blues major share-holder. "We always felt there would be a positive outcome but you can never be certain as these things are something of a lottery. "It's very positive for the club though and for the town of Southend as well, so it came as no surprise that they've backed the plans. We're delighted; it's a massive boost for us and I feel this new stadium complex will bring further success to Southend United."

Martin said the Shrimpers' stadium plans were now expected to be submitted this summer but would be different from the originals plans of four years ago.

"It will be a similar size of stadium but the architecture will be different," Martin explained. "Things have moved on from 2000 both in the market and the lay-out of Fossetts Farm and we recognise that."

For the benefit of Mr Martin, the definition of summer is :

"the warmest season of the year; in the northern hemisphere it extends from the summer solstice to the autumnal equinox"

This year's autumn equinox was on September 22 at 16:29 GMT. It's now November 8th ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Nov. 08 2004,17:35)]Martin said the Shrimpers' stadium plans were now expected to be submitted this summer but would be different from the originals plans of four years ago.

For the benefit of Mr Martin, the definition of summer is :

"the warmest season of the year; in the northern hemisphere it extends from the summer solstice to the autumnal equinox"

This year's autumn equinox was on September 22 at 16:29 GMT. It's now November 8th ...

WS
For the benefit of Senor Smith the definition of expected in my dictionary is :

1. Regarded as probable or likely; anticipated 2. Decided that something is requisite or necessary e.g.the teacher expected the homework to be completed by Friday.

So it's all down to interpretation. RM was using expected in its primary definition where we all assumed it was in the secondary definition.  
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Nov. 08 2004,17:46)]For the benefit of Senor Smith the definition of expected in my dictionary is :

1. Regarded as probable or likely; anticipated 2. Decided that something is requisite or necessary e.g.the teacher expected the homework to be completed by Friday.

So it's all down to interpretation. RM was using expected in its primary definition where we all assumed it was in the secondary definition.  
tounge.gif
Fine.

But it almost two months AFTER they were "expected" ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Nov. 08 2004,17:39)]I understand things are progressing well and Ron may make an announcement soon, but only if we keep pushing.
Exactly why I thought SZ should have a dedicated forum towards Fossetts Farm, somewhere for fans to discuss this drawn-out development ...

WS

So is there any meetings planned with Mr Martin to discuss this subject?, Could we get one arranged asap because this is really starting to worry me now...

Things seemed to have settled down nicely on the pitch, surely this is an opportune time to release details of the new development?. the longer we stay at RH the more and more debt we incur, which obviously is not good at all.

Whilst I commend Ron and his team for really improving things at the club, we would like answers on this topic, and now please, this has been dragging on far far too long.

rock.gif

In truth, I think this is all a pipe-dream and no amount of discussion will change the fact that "at best" we have a long wait.

The club's silence over the past six months, speaks volumes for the difficulties that lay ahead! Karers for one obviously, local authorities, planners, designers, all the legal aspects, "money" etc.

On the subject of money, if Fossett's Farm had gone ahead in 2000, a figure of £45m was suggested... I think it would be more like £55-60m now and this might possibly be a stumbling block for our landlords.

We all know that Roots Hall is a prime site, but I have a bad feeling something will go pear-shaped and we'll be back to square one!.

Getting out of this League may help, but not by much I suspect.

The mood is changing...
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Nov. 08 2004,18:01)]So is there any meetings planned with Mr Martin to discuss this subject?, Could we get one arranged asap because this is really starting to worry me now...
I understand Ron might be at the next Trust liaison meeting to discuss the issue.

Back