• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Code:
Doubt somehow that Justin Edinburgh would swap Newport for us.

If offered an chance to manage Southend, he would pack up and go, as he and his family's are based in Chelmsford, and he be nearer to his home.

Utter nonsense written extensively earlier in this thread. I'm no Ron Martin fan, but no way is he to blame for our current run of form. From what I can see he's supported the manager as much as resources allow.

WTF has a dip in form got to do with RM??????
Jeeeeez it is so boring that EVERYTHING is blamed on RM.
We have a squad that was performing. we have been unlucky with injuries (which club hasn't been) but pretty much the same squad that was performing so well - is now struggling. What part of that dip in form can possibly have anything whatsoever to do with Ron Martin.
FFS this madness about RM is beyond ridiculous!!!

I would suggest not - our budget for a league 2 team is up there well into the top ten in this league. It's not top, but well embeded in the top ten.

Let's hope PB can pull it off. If the season finished now then good job. If we don't make it then it has to come down to PB.

Dare I say I would mind seeing a Martin Allen type character coming in if PB were to fail. My top preference is that PB still manages to take us up this season..

What like about 7th, which is our league position?

Brown also has a far more expensive back room staff than we have had in many years.

Good point and one well worth remembering when talking about the backing the manager has received.

This time last year... our play off chances were slipping away, players were underporforming, fan were getting restless, Ron wielded the axe.
Now, 12months on its deja vu. We all know Ron has told PB the target is promotion, thats looking less and less likely with each game.

fast forward 2 months... promotion / play-offs not achieved. Will PB walk before Ron wields the axe ? I'm not certain he'll hang about if we dont go up, seems to spend more time on his media work than at Southend!

is it time for a new type of manager? We've had 2 experienced 'names' (Sturrock and Brown) and both are struggling to take us forwards. Is it time to look for a young, hungry manager for next season, someone like Justin Edinburgh (still has strong connections in the area I believe) or maybe a similar type? Is it time to think about a possible change in the Summer?

What is this obsession with associating hunger with youth? I've seen it mentioned with replacing our strikers and wingers on here too. It seems many on here believe that you have to be a relative novice in your trade to have any kind of desire. Age is not a barrier to how much drive you have, just ask Alex Ferguson. It just seems a lazy way to support posters own views on replacing the existing staff.

And another thing, since when did hunger become a more desirable attribute to experience. Surely a manager needs more than hunger to succeed? Otherwise why aren't all us Football Manager enthusiasts in the fan base high flying managers. It's akin to those that sang Blair Sturrock's praises 'because he tried hard', that's the absolute minimum you expect, not a laudable attribute to parade above all others.

What is this obsession with associating hunger with youth? I've seen it mentioned with replacing our strikers and wingers on here too. It seems many on here believe that you have to be a relative novice in your trade to have any kind of desire. Age is not a barrier to how much drive you have, just ask Alex Ferguson. It just seems a lazy way to support posters own views on replacing the existing staff.

And another thing, since when did hunger become a more desirable attribute to experience. Surely a manager needs more than hunger to succeed? Otherwise why aren't all us Football Manager enthusiasts in the fan base high flying managers. It's akin to those that sang Blair Sturrock's praises 'because he tried hard', that's the absolute minimum you expect, not a laudable attribute to parade above all others.

Or quality/ability.

Its why I question the idea of putting the likes of Williams in. No one knows how he will do, just to throw him in the starting line up is a massive gamble at a key point in the season. Woodrow is at a premiership club yet look how he seemed to freeze in front of goal.

Youth have little fear on the pitch that in itself frightens defenders simply because youths won't think twice about taking somebody on or gaining a yard and letting fly from distance.

I can remember a 16 year old kid scoring a beaut in the prem now whatever happened to Mr Rooney.

Youth have little fear on the pitch that in itself frightens defenders simply because youths won't think twice about taking somebody on or gaining a yard and letting fly from distance.

I can remember a 16 year old kid scoring a beaut in the prem now whatever happened to Mr Rooney.

In a similar vein I remember Scott Ashenden.

There've been quite a few stories in the media about it.

ps I like your idea of Blair Sturrock as manager.

Can do, or they can be like Woodrow and be clean through and bottle it.

Sadly not everyone is as good as Rooney.

Or quality/ability.

Its why I question the idea of putting the likes of Williams in. No one knows how he will do, just to throw him in the starting line up is a massive gamble at a key point in the season. Woodrow is at a premiership club yet look how he seemed to freeze in front of goal.

Gazza , Michael owen burst onto the scene at workl cups not that long after starting out.

At our level, look no further than Mr Eastwood.

It can work at times with good man-management

Gazza , Michael owen burst onto the scene at workl cups not that long after starting out.

At our level, look no further than Mr Eastwood.

It can work at times with good man-management

Funny how names like Gascoigne,Owen and Rooney are raised as examples. It was not good man management that they worked ,these are the creme de la creme and were/are players with incredible talent for their age, they are not the norm. Why not drop Pele and Messi in as well?

In fact good man management wouldn't have pushed Owen so hard so early on so his career wasn't dead so early.

For those outstanding players there are hundreds of youngsters that don't have an impact.

WTF has a dip in form got to do with RM??????
Jeeeeez it is so boring that EVERYTHING is blamed on RM.
We have a squad that was performing. we have been unlucky with injuries (which club hasn't been) but pretty much the same squad that was performing so well - is now struggling. What part of that dip in form can possibly have anything whatsoever to do with Ron Martin.
FFS this madness about RM is beyond ridiculous!!!
Because some are suggesting that the dip in form has coincided with the return of Barnard and whether or not he was a PB or RM signing. Short of PB making a statement saying he has made all the decisions re; signings the suspicion will remain as it does over the signing of Freddy.

Back