• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you want Brown next season

Do you want Brown to stay?

• Total voters
CLOSE to 80 per cent of Southend United supporters are keen for Phil Brown to stay in charge, according to an Echosport poll.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links

This is mad aint it? Do we not remember the dogs abuse Phil received for Months before he left.
I think the biggest factor is that everyones some scared of what the alternative is going to be that even Phil seems a good option. Now I'm neither here or there on PB. His ego irritates me and having both him and Ron at the club talking absolute waffle really grates on me. That said he's an experienced guy who can get results when everything's going his way.

For NL he seems a bit of a coup on paper - but surely if we are seriously talking about a CEO, shouldnt this be delayed slightly? Im saying that because I'm worried about where this clubs actually going. What direction are we going in and why is PB the man to lead this? Is it not a bit of a lazy appointment? And shouldnt the new CEO be part of this decision?

Lots of questions to be answered and a club that seems to be in a merry-go-round of adhoc decisions and papering over cracks. PB isnt the worst appointment we could make. But when will we actually learn from our mistakes?

This is mad aint it? Do we not remember the dogs abuse Phil received for Months before he left.
I think the biggest factor is that everyones some scared of what the alternative is going to be that even Phil seems a good option. Now I'm neither here or there on PB. His ego irritates me and having both him and Ron at the club talking absolute waffle really grates on me. That said he's an experienced guy who can get results when everything's going his way.

For NL he seems a bit of a coup on paper - but surely if we are seriously talking about a CEO, shouldnt this be delayed slightly? Im saying that because I'm worried about where this clubs actually going. What direction are we going in and why is PB the man to lead this? Is it not a bit of a lazy appointment? And shouldnt the new CEO be part of this decision?

Lots of questions to be answered and a club that seems to be in a merry-go-round of adhoc decisions and papering over cracks. PB isnt the worst appointment we could make. But when will we actually learn from our mistakes?
I agree it is a bit mad.

But it feels right to me at this moment in time, at least stabilise the ship for a season.

I can think of nothing more disastrous than a new CEO coming in and saying to Ron we really must have a due diligence and a nice recruitment process to find the right man. We would take two months realising we already had the best were were likely to get - and knowing our luck by then he would have gone somewhere else. Meanwhile the mistakes of the past are repeated with regards to getting ready for next season.
As with many things for Ron, many of us and indeed PB the grass probably looked greener elsewhere. Turned out it wasn't real grass and definitely not greener. Devils we know all round. Anyhow will be announced tomorrow or Wed.

Interesting, is this true? Not doubting yourself, just haven't seen this anywhere before now.

I'm being very theoretical here, but if/when Craig becomes part of PB's coaching team, that must mean he can't stay u23s manager? Another potential vacancy
Clearly there is likely an u23 opening and an Academy opening at least. Given the importance PB attaches to attitude, leaving everything on the pitch who better to be in and around the training staff.

I can picture one or two nice conversations as a shrinking violet or two look to overstay their welcome in the treatment room or can't play because they stubbed their toe..

I can think of nothing more disastrous than a new CEO coming in and saying to Ron we really must have a due diligence and a nice recruitment process to find the right man. We would take two months realising we already had the best were were likely to get - and knowing our luck by then he would have gone somewhere else. Meanwhile the mistakes of the past are repeated with regards to getting ready for next season.
As with many things for Ron, many of us and indeed PB the grass probably looked greener elsewhere. Turned out it wasn't real grass and definitely not greener. Devils we know all round. Anyhow will be announced tomorrow or Wed.

2 months? I myself would be concerned if the process took two months.
As for the mistakes of the past - surely the appointment of the CEO is there to take Ron away from footballing decisions and purely focus on the business side because as we know Rons "due diligence" is nothing short of shocking. Hardly think it would be disastrous for the man heading up the football decisions to be the main who stamps the appointment of the manager to take us forward?

Are we essentially saying PB is the right man because we could do worse?

2 months? I myself would be concerned if the process took two months.
As for the mistakes of the past - surely the appointment of the CEO is there to take Ron away from footballing decisions and purely focus on the business side because as we know Rons "due diligence" is nothing short of shocking. Hardly think it would be disastrous for the man heading up the football decisions to be the main who stamps the appointment of the manager to take us forward?

Are we essentially saying PB is the right man because we could do worse?
I know- two months would be highly ambitious based on past experience...
I think we are essentially saying PB is the right person as Ron knows him well and believes he is the right person at this time along with 80% of supporters. And there is general agreement that time is of the essence

if the bloody idiot chairman wants the fans off his back the answer one is give phil brown the job .Then leave the footballing side to a man who knows better than you .Two don,t say things you dont keep to .And Two make sure you bring in a CEO to run the football club so you can sit back chill and work on the council to finaly make a agreement regards the new ground .

So based off an emotional reaction from the season we appoint PB, we then appoint a CEO who wether he likes it or not has a manager in place who will then have a changing structure around him?
Surely if we looking to put in a CEO it makes more sense to allow him to be first in place and then build from the top down? It means the whole structure of the football club can be put into place in the right order and everyone, whether on the playing side or not is comfortable in their positions. Not saying we wait until the month before the seasons starts to appoint a manager but surely at least it’s worth doing this properly? :Think: PB isn’t going anywhere in two weeks?
I’m simply saying there is no point getting two months into the season and PB getting turfed out because he wasn’t the CEO’s pick. Let’s start as we mean to go on. I’m not in the know and these decisions may be being made in tandem. I’m sure this is all stuff that Stan will be in Ron’s ear about ?

Last edited:
So based off an emotional reaction from the season we appoint PB, we then appoint a CEO who wether he likes it or not has a manager in place who will then have a changing structure around him?
Surely if we looking to put in a CEO it makes more sense to allow him to be first in place and then build from the top down? It means the whole structure of the football club can be put into place in the right order and everyone, whether on the playing side or not is comfortable in their positions. Not saying we wait until the month before the seasons starts to appoint a manager but surely at least it’s worth doing this properly? :Think: PB isn’t going anywhere in two weeks?

There are good reasons to get PB early. For a start he needs to be working with RD/CF to decide who goes and who stays. Then the next 2 or 3 weeks are very important. If PB is here he will be on the phone and up and down the country chatting to plenty of players. He will want them to have SUFC in their mind whilst on Holiday.

Any CEO coming in will then all ready have a list of 30+ to discuss to prioritise and work on.

I know fans think we leave it late and Ron does but i can assure you that if PB stays then the next month will be not just a busy one but one of the most important in our history.....I doubt we will here much about it though.

I'm convinced it was the non existent May and June that made sure Bond failed then the covid later months of June and July for MM......We absolutely must not let that happen this year.

I am also not sure that bringing in a CEO is the magic bullet that we need. For a start, it adds costs at a time when income will reduce. This doesn't sit well with the ongoing problem of Ron's never ending cash flow problems. Also if PB is appointed it could, as you say lead to some sort of conflict on various issues.
Re ceo - it sits well for me, a good ceo might have talked Ron out of some of our expensive signings ( which would have more than paid for his salary) !

I’m simply saying there is no point getting two months into the season and PB getting turfed out because he wasn’t the CEO’s pick. Let’s start as we mean to go on. I’m not in the know and these decisions may be being made in tandem. I’m sure this is all stuff that Stan will be in Ron’s ear about ?

What's to say that when Stan, Ron and CEO sat down they didn't already discuss PB and it was agreed that the CEO is happy to work with PB?

For what it's worth, I was of the opinion that I did not want PB as manager, going by what previous players like Mark Phillips and Adam Barrett have said.

On the flip side to that Ricky Duncan is such an important person to have around at SUFC and if he is happy to have Phil Brown I would probably trust his judgement on it.

I don't really have a preference at the moment.

On one hand the guy knows Ron and the club and has been successful with us, if he repeats his first few years with us we know we will get a fit hard working team that will put in the graft required to get us off our feet and behind the team.

On the other, it ended sourly for me with the beginning of the demise of the club and the way he treated Ad and M Phillips goes against everything I would want in a manager.

It would be convenient to have him in as he has already assessed who he does and doesn't want, has already worked with the group and will know where he wants to start from day one should he take the opportunity on.

Just to spice things up, the timing of Ron's admittance to needing a CEO, potentially having Stan in as a footballing advisor/director might be a good time now to permanently cut ties with previous regimes and allow the desired club structure and direction to take place and run its course starting with the recruitment of a new management team in line with the clubs vision and culture it will be trying to lay down long term.

In answer to the question, **** knows

Back