• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was down for Pie and Pint night with the Doughnut the other night and before it all started I had a walk around town. It occurred to me I no longer know my home town anymore !
Moved away sometime ago and when I do come down for the game I'm off the train at Prittlewell and pretty much into the west stand after a sly chip butty.
Where on earth do you go for a pint in this town anymore ? To be honest nowhere looked very much inviting so I ended up in the Spread! No disrespect but there has to be somewhere better than that. I grew up in Benfleet so had the likes of the Zach, Tarpot, Hoy, Anchor and Half Crown to name but a few but Benfleet is half the size of Southend so I would expect more of a choice up in Southend. Suppose I could travel back to Leigh for a beer but seems a bit a trek - any ideas?

I get off the train at Westcliff sometimes and have a couple in The Melrose, though like you I moved away some time ago and I'm never quite sure whether my old haunts will still be there when I return for the next home game.

The Old Trout opposite Sainsburys in the London Road near the high street is a good little boozer always with several guest ales

Was down for Pie and Pint night with the Doughnut the other night and before it all started I had a walk around town. It occurred to me I no longer know my home town anymore !
Moved away sometime ago and when I do come down for the game I'm off the train at Prittlewell and pretty much into the west stand after a sly chip butty.
Where on earth do you go for a pint in this town anymore ? To be honest nowhere looked very much inviting so I ended up in the Spread! No disrespect but there has to be somewhere better than that. I grew up in Benfleet so had the likes of the Zach, Tarpot, Hoy, Anchor and Half Crown to name but a few but Benfleet is half the size of Southend so I would expect more of a choice up in Southend. Suppose I could travel back to Leigh for a beer but seems a bit a trek - any ideas?

The Railway next to Prittlewell station to be fair is a decent well run boozer!

Spread is good too!

They do a job and they do it well

The former Park Tavern? One of my uncles used to be a regular there.It must have improved improved since his time.

No The Trout is nearer the High Street opposite Sainsburys. The Park (as its now known) has been done up in the last few years though.

I get off the train at Westcliff sometimes and have a couple in The Melrose, though like you I moved away some time ago and I'm never quite sure whether my old haunts will still be there when I return for the next home game.

I was shocked to see The Nelson had closed on my last visit in May.As you'll recall, it was still open when I last met up with you, in Westcliff.

I was surprised that the Nelson lasted as long as it did. Big pub, big overheads and yet rarely busy on non-match days. The closure of all the offices on Vic Avenue can't have helped it the last few years either.

I'd second BarnaBlue's suggestion of the Cricketers.

Holes is the operative word :winking:

The Ship in nearby Hadleigh used to be nice though.Probably still is for all I know.
The Ship? There used to be The Castle, The Crown and The Waggon and Horses, now there's only The Castle. I don't remember a pub called The Ship in Hadleigh and I lived there for 10 or 11 years in the 70s/80s. There was a pub on Benfleet Road for a while by La Quinta, but it burnt down some time back, don't think it was called The Ship either.

Always felt there weren't enough pubs in Benfleet or Hadleigh, I think Hadleigh was down to some covenant with the Salvation Army. Strange that there is now only one proper pub in Hadleigh itself. Benfleet has lost a few in recent times too, Cutley Lynch and the pub that used to be Sam Lords (and is now flats).

The Ship? There used to be The Castle, The Crown and The Waggon and Horses, now there's only The Castle. I don't remember a pub called The Ship in Hadleigh and I lived there for 10 or 11 years in the 70s/80s. There was a pub on Benfleet Road for a while by La Quinta, but it burnt down some time back, don't think it was called The Ship either.

Always felt there weren't enough pubs in Benfleet or Hadleigh, I think Hadleigh was down to some covenant with the Salvation Army. Strange that there is now only one proper pub in Hadleigh itself. Benfleet has lost a few in recent times too, Cutley Lynch and the pub that used to be Sam Lords (and is now flats).

Sorry, I meant The Castle.My mother used to work there years ago..My memory's obviously going.:cricko:

The Cricketers(in Westcliff)still serves good ale but the decor has changed a bit.

IMPORTANT FOR ALL SUFC SUPPORTERS

I used to go to the Cricketers after football until it was refurbed and the staff left. Relocated to the Old Trout as they do good beer and one of the old Cricketers barmaids (Mo) was working there. She seems to have left now but the real ale is cheap (relatively) and good. However it lacks atmosphere.

BUT last home game I went to the Cricketers for the first time in a while to be told that on match days they are DISCOUNTING EACH PINT BY £1 on presentation of a match day ticket or season ticket. And it seems to be for each round as long as you are there!! Not sure how long for but indications were it was for a while! Tell your friends!

IMPORTANT FOR ALL SUFC SUPPORTERS

I used to go to the Cricketers after football until it was refurbed and the staff left. Relocated to the Old Trout as they do good beer and one of the old Cricketers barmaids (Mo) was working there. She seems to have left now but the real ale is cheap (relatively) and good. However it lacks atmosphere.

BUT last home game I went to the Cricketers for the first time in a while to be told that on match days they are DISCOUNTING EACH PINT BY £1 on presentation of a match day ticket or season ticket. And it seems to be for each round as long as you are there!! Not sure how long for but indications were it was for a while! Tell your friends!

Is that before and after the game? Actually, is it also during?

Back