• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Eastwood

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Oct. 21 2004,15:13)]I was somewhat 'incapacitated' very shortly after the new units were installed...  
tounge.gif
Hmm... fair point.  Might let you off that one.

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Oct. 21 2004,15:13)]and I dont mean I was ****ed!
First time for everything, I s'pose...

tounge.gif

I'd like to say I can see your point Matt, but all I can see are pots and kettles!!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Shall I mention the Oktoberfest phone call?
tounge.gif
laugh.gif
I think you're right up there with me (and beyond....)
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ Oct. 21 2004,14:12)]Of course, the other reason for what Stimmo said might be that he wants to put the Grays fans down gently - he knows that Eastwood will be on his way soon to whoever it is, but he doesn't want it to sound as though Grays are just letting him go for next to nothing. By saying Southend will have to pay more than they think to get him, and then when the deal goes through saying that it's for an undiscolsed fee, everyone looks good from the deal, and not just Eastwood...

But then that might all be "wishful thinking"!
The same kinda thing happened with Rawle - but then he isn't as good, but was still a legend in their eyes ...

Kev

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Oct. 21 2004,13:15)]We aren't going to sign Eastwood and I think we should get used to that.

Grays have cleverly used us to prove that he can score goals at league level - and now he will go to the highest bidder.

Grays were in a no-lose situation: he doesn't want to play for them clearly. If they send him to us and he does well, they will get plenty of offers and perhaps clubs bidding against each other. If he does ok we might sign him for a 'minimal' fee. If he does poorly, they get him and his ability back and tell him he's at his level with them and he needs to buck his ideas up if he wants to play football at all - meaning he either goes back to being a 30+ a season man for them or he's on the scrapheap completely...

We never stood a chance.

I blame Peter Mandelson.
What the f**k are you on about?

That is a totally pessimistic view of thinking and one you have no proof of whatsoever.

So tell me how did you know even before he signed that we never stood a chance of signing Eastwood?. How about looking at it in the way that is a local lad looking to further his career with his local side a bit like Adam Barrett instead of looking on the bad side of everything. Some of you lot make me laugh with these pathetic views which come out of nowhere.

I hope the lad signs tomorrow and you can buy me a bloody pint!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Oct. 21 2004,15:11)]Fredy obviously wants to come here...
Really? How can you be so sure?

Because he said so?

Because he's putting in lots of effort?

None of the above proves that he really wants to come to The Shrimpers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Oct. 21 2004,14:01)]I would have thought that £50K plus a further £10 if we go up
Now I know nothing about the finances of us or them but I would hazard a guess that £10 won't be enough to seal the deal and please Grays if we get promotion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Fitter @ Oct. 21 2004,17:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Oct. 21 2004,14:01)]I would have thought that £50K plus a further £10 if we go up
Now I know nothing about the finances of us or them but I would hazard a guess that £10 won't be enough to seal the deal and please Grays if we get promotion.
I don't mind paying the further ten pounds

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 21 2004,15:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Oct. 21 2004,15:11)]Fredy obviously wants to come here...

Because he said so?

Didn't he say in the Echo that he wanted to join us? Said he was enjoying it here, liked the club and the manager and got on well with the team? I don't think all is lost. He does want to come here, an we do have the advantage of being his local professional club. If he really wants to come here, Grays should let him. They can accept/reject bids, but not choose where he goes. I can't see them holding onto him for ransom. I think we need to buy him though. This is the best chance we've had in YEARS to buy a natural goalscorer. NONE of our strikers can score goals like that, and if buying Fredy will be the difference between promotion and staying in this piece of **** league for another season, then go for it. I think 100k should be a LAST RESORT bid. But I wouldn't want to see us go over 80k.

KTF

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The_Showstoppa15 @ Oct. 21 2004,17:19)]
[b said:
[b said:

Because he said so?

Didn't he say in the Echo that he wanted to join us?
Talk is cheap.

We know that from the past.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barry the dog @ Oct. 21 2004,15:45)]What the f**k are you on about?

That is a totally pessimistic view of thinking and one you have no proof of whatsoever.

So tell me how did you know even before he signed that we never stood a chance of signing Eastwood?. How about looking at it in the way that is a local lad looking to further his career with his local side a bit like Adam Barrett instead of looking on the bad side of everything. Some of you lot make me laugh with these pathetic views which come out of nowhere.

I hope the lad signs tomorrow and you can buy me a bloody pint!
I agree, you can't seriously think that Ron Martin, Steve Tilson et al just wander around all day wondering why the sky is blue. They know what they're doing and I strongly doubt they just walked in to the trap you suggest.

They'll have been scouting him for ages and will have probably been pretty glad to pick him up. I also strongly doubt that Eastwood would try and put himself in the shop window at a club with three strikers playing pretty well. I'd have gone to someone like Cambridge who are bereft of any striking talent and not too far away.

Clearly Eastwood doesn want to play for us or he wouldn't be here. Even if it's just as a stepping stone, you can't build a stepping stone in a month and you'd expect him to do the business for at least a season. For example, look at how long it took a 'big' club to sign up Zamora.

If you insist on being a pessimist though, look how much Blackburn paid for Jon Stead. Either way, i reckon he has to sign for a league club as a starter but wouldn't be disillusioned to think someone like Peterborough would be bigger. Local club makes sense.

I also hope he signs tomorrow but shotgun no bloody pint though. Still feeling a bit fragile from last night's festivities. Offer it to a vampire instead.

What is the price we can't afford?

I don't think for the job he has done 30k - 50k would be an unreasonable amount to pay. We would not have to pay him much to double his wages at grays.

Whats the problem Mr Martin, this club needs to go in the right direction for a change and if you would like a league 1 team for the new stadium then money will have to be spent.

Bruce Shrimpsteen
Born to Shrimp

We fans should not worry about the price, just get Eastwood signed however much it is. The amount does not matter - the Club has wasted millions of our cash in the past on sheer crap, legal fees and corrupt dealings, for once lets spend it on something (someone) we all want and need and pay whatever is needed. Given Fredy does not prove to be a total waster we will recoup it anyway once he has got us promotion and moved on.
Time for Mr Martin to prove he wants this Club to go somewhere.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 21 2004,17:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The_Showstoppa15 @ Oct. 21 2004,17:19)]
[b said:
[b said:

Because he said so?

Didn't he say in the Echo that he wanted to join us?
Talk is cheap.

We know that from the past.
In other words, he's an exile and therefore doesn't get the Evening Echo!
wink.gif

I agree that players will say one thing and do another Mark, but I was looking at the positive side and he did indeed say this and the Echo reported on it... I am preferring to look at the positive nature of what he said!

Now get of that bloody fence... it'll play havoc with your "farmer giles!"
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suffolk Shrimper @ Oct. 21 2004,20:58)]We fans should not worry about the price, just get Eastwood signed however much it is. The amount does not matter - the Club has wasted millions of our cash in the past on sheer crap, legal fees and corrupt dealings, for once lets spend it on something (someone) we all want and need and pay whatever is needed. Given Fredy does not prove to be a total waster we will recoup it anyway once he has got us promotion and moved on.
Time for Mr Martin to prove he wants this Club to go somewhere.
That's a tad harsh in my view. The club has come a long way in recent years and we can't break the bank on Fredy... believe me! I would love it if we could!!!

A realistic figure must be reached by both parties and you have to consider that £30k-£50k for a club like Grays is huge. What did they pay for him? Has he come through their youth system? these are the questions, that will ultimately determine how well off Grays will be from Fredy's sale.

I think that some performance related deal could be achieved as an "add-on" to any contract that Fredy signs... perhaps on goals scored, number of appearances, promotion, a "sell-on" clause and so on... maybe this'll double / treble what Grays finally get for him.

It all depends on whether Grays and Southend come to that all important agreement and whether another club comes in with deeper pockets than Southend can compete with.

The thing is, hw much is a nominal fee really? It can only be a few thousand, in my opinion he'd be well worth a £30,000 fee. Grays are out of their mind if they think someone is going to come along and cough up £100,000 in todays market. We got Gower for £25,000, despite Barnet not wanting to sell and Peterborough being interested at the same time. Surely Stimson won't want to jeopardise Eastwoods career by demanding stupid money and pricing him out of a move.

We made roughly £460,000 from Cardiff, this deal might just show how much good the LDV Final has done us, and how much the club want that to be put back into our debts or whether they want to use part of it to strengthen the playing side of things.

By the way, Canvey want him now as well:

Canvey Island soccer boss Jeff King has confirmed his club are monitoring the situation regarding Grays Athletic striker Fredy Eastwood.

The one-time West Ham youth star has scored four goals in two games since joining League Two Southend United on loan a fortnight ago.

But the Roots Hall outfit have yet to make a definite bid for 20-year-old Eastwood and have revealed they will wait until the player's one month loan ends early next month before making their next move.

Grays manager Mark Stimson has poured cold water on Blues' suggestion that his club only want a nominal fee for the player's services.

King admitted he had already spoken to Conference South Grays' director of football Mike Woodward about Eastwood.

Fat King would have to stick his nose in, lets get him signed up and use some of that half a million. Surely he would be ours for 50k ?

My old man just told me a bloke he works with who is a Hamster and he goes to watch them with a group of mates one of them the gray's chairman. He told him that Fredy wants to come to us and we want fredy but he wants 100k for him. I am not saying this is definate as I am not privy to any offical business but sounds fair enough to me if grays will accept 100k in installments I am sure the club can afford that.

Back