• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC 2019

Not at all keen on this Essex one-day line-up.

Chopra
Cook
Westley
Lawrence
Bopara
RtD
Harmer
White
Siddle
Porter
Cook

It's a decent enough fc side but what are our tactics here in limited overs? The batting line-up seems drearily one-paced and the bowling attack a bowler short if we intend to bowl sides out and it's not a great fielding team either. Am I missing something? Where are the fireworks going to come from? What's our trump card?

It seems to be a 3 wins out of 8 and finish 7th in the group side.

Why not give Walter - who hit 184 from 131 balls in one of the pre-season warm ups a go near the top of the order?
Or maybe Rishi Patel would offer some x-factor, I haven't seen him in limited overs yet but he certainly looked to have a few shots at the Oval.

Hopefully we'll now reel off 8 wins in a row in the competition but this looks like a side that will be going through the motions sooner rather than later.

Looking around at the completed first innings scores elsewhere in the country

Yorkshire made 379
Worcestershire 367
Durham 342

Only Gloucestershire scored fewer than our 326.

Are you for real?
Different wickets produce different scores.
I thought you understood the game, obviously not.

I understand different pitches produce different scores but when they play on the pitches Yorkshire scored 379 on, Worcestershire scored 367 and Durham 342 (342 at Chester-le-Street!), I don't think this Essex line-up will be able to post those types of scores.

I hope to be proved wrong but time will tell.

Totally agree S.A.M, Hampshire will be no pushovers in the league so a defeat though not great was not too unexpected, and a draw versus Surrey is not too bad

Looking forward to seeing Northeast next Sunday in ODI, always thought highly of him when playing for Kent, and can see him banging on the England's door for a spot

Not too sure about that - three games in and we have three centurions with Lawrence getting in the nineties, the batting will be fine.

One-day cricket it isn't just about the number of runs a batsman scores though but also the speed he scores them at. Essex have plenty of players who can score centuries at around a run a ball. What we lack in the starting line-up is players who can score fifties off 25 balls or even hundreds off of 50 balls. I hope I'm wrong but without that I think we are limited as to how far we can go this season in 50 over cricket.

The emphasis over the last few seasons has been for success in the first class game which undeniably has come. We have been one of the better one day sides in recent times without getting over the line but I would rather take success in longer form of the game anytime.
We don't have the resources of Surrey or Yorkshire to complete at the top at all three forms of the domestic game.
These are good times at Essex - I'm not concerned in the slightest.

The emphasis over the last few seasons has been for success in the first class game which undeniably has come. We have been one of the better one day sides in recent times without getting over the line but I would rather take success in longer form of the game anytime.
We don't have the resources of Surrey or Yorkshire to complete at the top at all three forms of the domestic game.
These are good times at Essex - I'm not concerned in the slightest.

I don't have a problem with emphasising the fc format but I don't think they are making the most of the talent available in the limited overs formats and they need more of a mix of the unexpected that players like Walter or Coles and maybe some of the youngsters can provide alongside the steadiness of players like Chopra.

I think Delport should help in T20.

I don't have a problem with emphasising the fc format but I don't think they are making the most of the talent available in the limited overs formats and they need more of a mix of the unexpected that players like Walter or Coles and maybe some of the youngsters can provide alongside the steadiness of players like Chopra.

I think Delport should help in T20.

Walter and Coles will play all forms the game this season for the first team I'm sure.
They've only played the one 50 over game so far, they will have plenty of opportunities in the weeks/months ahead - it is still April...

One-day cricket it isn't just about the number of runs a batsman scores though but also the speed he scores them at. Essex have plenty of players who can score centuries at around a run a ball. What we lack in the starting line-up is players who can score fifties off 25 balls or even hundreds off of 50 balls. I hope I'm wrong but without that I think we are limited as to how far we can go this season in 50 over cricket.

54 needed from 26

Back