• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fans returning to stadiums put on hold.

Well in theory, that’s the idea of getting our plans spot on first time around, so they don’t need extra time to think.

That’s why we didn’t submit over the summer, and why we’ve done extra due diligence on what the council want from our plans.

What you're missing (IIRC) is that the Ron delayed submitting the previous set of plans numerous times to ensure that they would only need a rubber stamp from the council, and they still came back with requests for further information.

My worry is that the same thing happens again. Maybe not to the same extent, but I would be very surprised if the plans were just accepted without the council requesting any extra information or amendments.

As you said in your previous post, the hope is that the council review in November. However, with everything that needs to happen before the council approve the plans(*), I can't see how that is going to happen. I have said all along that the New Year is more realistic, and given that the plans have yet to be submitted I still think that is true.

* What needs to happen for the plans to be approved:
  • The plans need to be submitted
  • The planning officers need to review and make recommendations
  • The planning committee need to approve
  • The full council need to approve
All it needs is for one of those to be delayed (i.e. Ron doesn't submit plans on time - which is already very close to being the case - or the officers decide they want more information, or Ron has tried his luck by squeezing in extra residential units) and the whole timescale is up the creek.

Love to hear your sustainable with right media team plan?

Bad businessman .... chauffeured driven Bentley.

Tough times right now same as a lot of people

I've seen Ron driving his own car every time I've seen him. Bentleys aren't actually that expensive.

It's easy to create an illusion of money when in actual fact you are heavily in debt.

As for the media side.

The players could be out in the community a lot more. Engaging the homeless centres hospitals opening of venues.

The club could do so much more on a match day and non matchdays. Ie beer festivals and easter and Xmas markets.

They could offer lots more reductions and scourer a wider net ie Wickford maldon Burnham etc etc.

Much more positive and intense marketing to raise the profile of the club.

Match days are where the club misses out most. Most people just turning up at KO.

Some clubs are run like a community club with a community spirit. Apart from genuine die hards most people in southend know little of blues. That has to change in order to be a better supported club.

Last edited:
This is stupid, cases have only risen 17% in the last two weeks and seem to be steady at the 4k a day mark, and have been for the last week, yet the government is listening to Piers Morgan and going backward.
cases not deaths... they wanted us to get heard immunity, we now have it, and we are again ****ed

What you're missing (IIRC) is that the Ron delayed submitting the previous set of plans numerous times to ensure that they would only need a rubber stamp from the council, and they still came back with requests for further information.

My worry is that the same thing happens again. Maybe not to the same extent, but I would be very surprised if the plans were just accepted without the council requesting any extra information or amendments.

As you said in your previous post, the hope is that the council review in November. However, with everything that needs to happen before the council approve the plans(*), I can't see how that is going to happen. I have said all along that the New Year is more realistic, and given that the plans have yet to be submitted I still think that is true.

* What needs to happen for the plans to be approved:
  • The plans need to be submitted
  • The planning officers need to review and make recommendations
  • The planning committee need to approve
  • The full council need to approve
All it needs is for one of those to be delayed (i.e. Ron doesn't submit plans on time - which is already very close to being the case - or the officers decide they want more information, or Ron has tried his luck by squeezing in extra residential units) and the whole timescale is up the creek.

Yep, fair points. Nothing is guaranteed, and be foolish to predict otherwise at this point.

I guess I’m more hopeful & optimistic this time around, due to the fact that the council want this to happen as much as we do.

I've seen Ron driving his own car every time I've seen him. Bentleys aren't actually that expensive.

It's easy to create an illusion of money when in actual fact you are heavily in debt.

As for the media side.

The players could be out in the community a lot more. Engaging the homeless centres hospitals opening of venues.

The club could do so much more on a match day and non matchdays. Ie beer festivals and easter and Xmas markets.

They could offer lots more reductions and scourer a wider net ie Wickford maldon Burnham etc etc.

Much more positive and intense marketing to raise the profile of the club.

Match days are where the club misses out most. Most people just turning up at KO.

Some clubs are run like a community club with a community spirit. Apart from genuine die hards most people in southend no little of blues. That has to change in order to be a better supported club.

i couldn't agree more, we are one of only a few clubs who have the luxury of a huge outdoor space. times change... cinema screens on the back of lorries, could be brought into the car park like a drive in cinema... food outlets even a bar for those not driving ...

Probably not. But he created the debts by not sticking to a budget the club could afford and allowing managers to sign who they wanted for any wages they wanted.

He is also responsible for gaining planning and then allowing it to lapse without a shovel being placed in the ground.

Ron is his own worst enemy in terms of the debt. We could be sustainable with the right media team, a CEO making sound decisions actually doing his job as a property developer and developing property inside and outside of the club. I think his job is now full time Southend chairman.

He is a poor chairman and and poor property developer and business man In general.

He believes his own lies. Quite frankly he is massively deluded by his own hype.

1) That has never happened under Ron.....Each manger gets a budget and has to work within that...Including when Kavanagh was here.

2) It was Sainsbury's who changed their minds.

3) Does Ron Hype himself and get deluded.....There are certainly fans out there who better fit that description and repeat the same lies at every opportunity..... I used to think they were just misinformed but they aren't. They Just have a pathological hatred of all things Ron.

This is the worst thing I have seen during the pandemic, the whole "They are listening to experts" Despite the fact there are plenty of scientists who have already debunked yesterdays briefing. This weird myth that every single expert/scientist/immunologist all agree the same thing, they dont. It is far more nuanced than that and is just a lazy stance.

As Carl Henegan says (Director of evidence based science) we have to learn live with coronavirus as it is an endemic, it is never going to go away. The WHO literally said two days ago they do not advocate lockdowns as they do not work. SAGE agree also.

This is just a terrible decision and another nail in the coffin for community institutions
Absolutely. It's what I have been saying since March (with some inside knowledge) and on here occasionally and have been roundly castigated and accused of being a "conspiracy theorist".

The only two diseases ever "defeated" in human history as far as I know are small pox and Rinder pest. Covid is here to stay, it's spread can be suppressed but as soon as life starts up again it will return. No doubt the Covid Bedwetters and the Covid Taliban will hate the fact but at some point we will have to learn to live with it, but whether that happens before the economy and many industries, and millions of lives, are totally destroyed is anyone's guess.

The stadium isn’t going to be anywhere near full though. With only 250 people in each stand, time slots to enter/leave the stadium, and the use of masks when walking around the stadium, it shouldn’t be difficult for social distancing to happen and the experience to be safe. Even at Roots Hall.
I don't know any figures but I suspect it is not financially viable to have matches with 1000 spectators. The costs could easily outweigh revenue.
Mind you that is in line with the business model for the past few years so who knows!

Yes, sadly our area seems to have a larger number of Covidiots than SW England. I observed the same large compliance with the guidelines throughout Devon and Dorset, and even Cumbria and Northumberland over the summer. The only way is definitely not Essex in this case.
And yet "cases" are not "surging" in Essex as we are told they are in other parts of the country.

And on the verge of bankruptcy most weeks.

I know loads of people in nice houses having skiing trips and driving flash cars. It's all a show. Have zero cash flow and in credit up to their eyeballs. To the outside world it appears they are successful. Not so much to them when they are awake at 3am with heart palpitations.

I've owned some nice houses Tommy and I love a ski trip but when the anaesthetist checked me just before my op my pulse rate was 39.

I have had heart palpitations at 3am but that was back in the day at a rave or when Debbie and Claire used invite me round to their flat.....Really nice girls who liked to share everything.

I appreciate that and understand re the older person part, but every employee has breaks, some employers have given more due to that. My wife works in Retail and her company are allowing more breaks, all coordinated so there is always cover.

The alternative is to wear shields rather than face masks, then there isn’t the issues you mention.

my folks are in their 80’s they chose to wear masks when out, the struggle but it is their choice so I fully understand that aspect.

Totally agree with that. And they don't steam your glasses up!

I don't doubt it, and jolly good show but where is the common cold on that list? They have been trying to find a vaccine for that for at least 70 years or more with no result and the common cold is a coronavirus, so it doesn't look good for a successful Covid vaccine anytime soon does it? And if that is the "golden bullet" or "the cavalry" whose arrival we are awaiting to put an end to lockdowns then I may not live to see it, so what then?

I've posted this before in response to people a month or two ago questioning why cases weren't going up when protests were happening and beaches were packed but it seems relevant again given that grounds are outdoor environments.

The risk of infection is much, much higher indoors than outdoors because the virus has no one to go when indoors so it just hangs around (it takes more than one Covid particle to be ingested to get infected). It can easily end up infecting people on the other side of the room because it can't spread out into the atmosphere unless the room is well ventilated. Outdoors on the other hand it just goes off into the atmosphere after a few seconds before you can breathe in enough particles to get infected, so you'd need to be sitting next to an infected person for an extended period of time to be at risk (and if you're socially distancing this shouldn't be an issue). Back in May only 1 Covid outbreak had been sourced to an outdoor environment.

Back