• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Favourite Colchester game memory

Favourite Col Ewe moment?

• Total voters

Csboy

Manager
With the big game tomorrow lets look back at some of our previous matches with the scum.

There has been some great gamse against them recently and also some not so good games but still my greatest memories come from the games in the 80's when we played them 2 or 3 times a season and it was pure hatred.

Even though both teams were poor through the 80's for the most part we just couldn't beat them and their small group of fans would really rub it in. I had seen 8 Southend/colu games up until our game with them in 1987 and we hadn't won any of them. It was march 1987 we were 3rd in the old 4th Division and they were 5th or 6th. The game was at Layer Road and there were 1500 Blues fans making a lot of noise. We went 1-0 down just before half-time and it looked like being the same old story.
About 15 minutes into the 2nd half Peter Johnson our left back starts a run from his own penalty area and everyone wondered where he was going as he was not known for his attacking skills. he did a 50 yard run well into their half and then unleashed a 30 yard shot that went into the top corner to send all Southend fans wild. Its still the finest goal I have ever seen from a Southend player.
The game seemed to be heading for a draw then Richard Cadette scored from just outside the area with a couple of minutes to go to give us the victory. We were travelling by train which was about a 3 mile walk, their so called boys from colu tried to put on a show but were soon chased off by the Southend mob. For that long walk back you needed to stay together or things could get unpleasant.

Another great memory was the game at layer road Easter Monday 1990 we were going up and they were as good as out of the League. We won easily 2-0 to virtually send them to the Conference and 2000 Southend fans spent the whole game singing 'colu are going out the league'.

Favourite home memory would have to be the LDV semi-final game but the Shaun Goater inspired win on Bank Holiday monday in our title winning season runs it a close 2nd.

Last edited:
Peter Daley's moment in 1990 as you eluded to.

Broughton's goal in the LDV semi.

But for me being 3-0 up in half an hour in 2006 at Layer Road was brilliant. We were taking the michael all game and even Che Wilson scored!

Great memories there Csboy .. i was at all 3 games you mentioned and loved every minute of them

Also must make mention of the 2 LDV games at their place .. winning 3-2 in the Area final and then knocking them out on penalties the next season

Also a 4-3 win in the League Cup 1st Round (early 90s ??)

One of the funniest was a 2-2 pre-season "friendly" .. the 2 coppers on duty expected us to take about 50 ... they didn't know what to do when 500 travelled .. fair to say mayhem ensued

The only home games that really stick in the mind are the LDV 2nd Leg and the 3-1 in the title season with The Goat scoring off his shin from 20 yards

Not long ago i know but 3-1 at the Hall in out league one champions year. Mitchell Cole's blistering pace tearing Col Ewe apart for his goal, The Goat's accidentally on purpose chip of the keeper. Bliss.

3-0 at layer road, in the league one champions season, Shaun Goater ripped them apart! I remember the chant constantly going off 'Thats why we're top of the league' whenever we made a pass :D

Great memories there Csboy .. i was at all 3 games you mentioned and loved every minute of them

One of the funniest was a 2-2 pre-season "friendly" .. the 2 coppers on duty expected us to take about 50 ... they didn't know what to do when 500 travelled .. fair to say mayhem ensued

That was the game when the Drury Arms got CS Gassed

Colchester boys knew Southend where turning up but got the shock of their lives when about 50 Southend boys arrived nice and early looking for them n got in the Pub early

Last edited:
It has to be the three nil at their place in the League One winning season - the sheer joy of seeing the sheep shaggers shuffling out at half-time after we had ripped them to shreds was one of the footballing highlights of my life.

Was in Cyprus for the 3-1 win with The Goat getting two so the 3-0 at Layer Road when even Che Wilson scored :D:D

Last edited:
"Simon Brown, Simon Brown, Simon Broooowwwnnn"

I've voted for the 3-2 win at Colchester in the LDV Area Final. Don't forget, they were (as hard though it is to conceive, or to bear) in the division above us at the time, and doing well, with the much vaunted Kem Izzet and Thomas Pinault in midfield.

We rocked up, Kevin Maher played the game of his life (he was so utterly magnificent that day - any doubts that he was a true Shrimper must be dispelled by that performance, he so wanted to beat the Ewes on their patch), and Simon Brown committed an absolute howler by letting a Tes Bramble scuffed shot travelling at about 2 miles an hour roll through his legs and into the back of the net. Brilliant.

Besides, it was my first and last trip to Layer Rd, so it was always going to be a bit special...

:clap:

Last edited:
For the poll choices the 3-0 at Layabout road in our title winning season. They had come off the back of a long undefeated run and gave Chelsea a tough game in the FA Cup.

I remember a game around 1969/70 when the late Joe Jacques made his Blues debut in a 2-0 win at Layer Road with great affection. We were on their old wooden terrace when a barrier gave way and we very dutifully handed back the barrier to the local OB. On the way home some very naughty boys wrecked the train so it was standing room only with one light all the way to Shenfield.

"Simon Brown, Simon Brown, Simon Broooowwwnnn"

I was right behind the goal that night, and indeed must take the credit for starting the Simon Brown chant :angel:

Oh, and it was 3-2 Matt .. Andrews got one back after Drewe got sent off

After summing up the evidence i've gone for the 3-0 in the Title season, it really did feel like a decider in the build up and to blitz them so completely was a joy and a pleasure to watch .. i still remember the highlights where the camera went close up of some Col Ewe bint absolutely bawling her eyes out at half time .. priceless comedy

That was the game when the Drury Arms got CS Gassed

Colchester boys knew Southend where turning up but got the shock of their lives when about 50 Southend boys arrived nice and early looking for them n got in the Pub early

50 you sure Rich i only recall about 11 and one of those was little john.

Has to be the away LDV game that we won 3-2.

Struggling league two side travels to local rivals who are doing well in the division above us. We battle away for 90mins and take a 3-2 win with a team with limited ability. Set us up nicely for the home leg.

And that shot that went through Simon Brown's leg, as Arry Redknapp would say triffic.

Back