• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Favourite Colchester game memory

Favourite Col Ewe moment?

• Total voters
Although I had to settle for watching the game on the big screen at RH, the 3-0 at their place was ****ing brilliant!

Can you add the 1987 game I mentioned earlier to the poll? Will get my vote.

Easter 1990. No question. It was me that fat lazy scouser landed on :) when he jumped into the crowd. I ended up giving him the Goal of the Season trophy the following August before the Spurs game.

Aside from the goal, which was a cracker, I remember the hoardes of sulking sheep fanicers getting quite irate at the end and few attempting to cause a spot of bother. They were faced with the entire away giving it "going down, going down" in response.

Sadly, they got their own back a few years ago at The Hall, but we don't talk about that.

I've only been to Layer road 4 times. First back in th 80's when we played (replay?) in the FA Cup and drew 2-2 (steve Phillips scored i can't remember much else except it was a wet horrible night). Then there was the 3-2 LDV win, the 3-0 victory in 30 mins. Finally my sons team were on duty when they played Wolves last year and lost 1-0!!

Been to every one home and away since the late fifties, but my favourite has to be this one.

We have had some great times at Roots Hall (and some bad ones!)I remember in the 1985-86 season we won there 4-2 Perry Groves got a hat trick that night. We had to drive from Colchester after work because it was a mid week game, pick someone up from Canvey (A Shrimpers fan!) and then come back into Southend. The traffic was horrendous and when we reached the turnstiles there were huge queues at the away end, fearing we would miss the start we went in the West stand and stood with the home fans, there was almost no queue there at all. There were 5 of us, 4 being Colchester fans and by the look of it the only away ones on this terrace. When we scored our goals my mates all stood there grinning but me no I jumped up and down cheering and yelling I was probably the smallest adult on the terrace but that was not going to stop me showing my support for my team. No stewards made any attempt to eject us, the locals were not best pleased if looks could kill I would not be writing this now, my mates gave me a right rollicking in the car after the game, they still call it a near death experience :clap:

Been to every one home and away since the late fifties, but my favourite has to be this one.

Oh actually, i've just realised that old doris the sheep needs a service, and my sister/wife/mother (they are all the same person) is about to give birth to another sow plus you lot don't actually give a **** about what i'm talking about so i'm going to do one

Edited for accuracy

I recall a friday night game up there in 1974 and 30 of us old Leigh Comm boys met at rayleigh weir and drove there in a convoy of about 7 motors. The weather was shocking and the game called off before 7 p.m. The main southend crew headed back but we stayed up there and took over a pub in the city centre. Around 9ish we were alerted that there was a big mob of locals and some 'action men' (local squaddies) marching down to confront us. We went outside and saw them about 70 yards away. All of us ran towards them and every one of them scattered like ants. We returned to the pub for another half hour before heading back home and never saw a soul. Another time in 1969 (we lost 4-0 and there was over 10,000 crammed into Layer road) in the 1st half we were in their end and at half time as the team were kicking up the other end in the 2nd half, everyone jumped onto the pitch (there was a good 500+) and we walked around/across it to the compact open end with no hassle at all. Do that today and everyone would get a banning order!

We have had some great times at Roots Hall (and some bad ones!)I remember in the 1985-86 season we won there 4-2 Perry Groves got a hat trick that night. We had to drive from Colchester after work because it was a mid week game, pick someone up from Canvey (A Shrimpers fan!) and then come back into Southend. The traffic was horrendous and when we reached the turnstiles there were huge queues at the away end, fearing we would miss the start we went in the West stand and stood with the home fans, there was almost no queue there at all. There were 5 of us, 4 being Colchester fans and by the look of it the only away ones on this terrace. When we scored our goals my mates all stood there grinning but me no I jumped up and down cheering and yelling I was probably the smallest adult on the terrace but that was not going to stop me showing my support for my team. No stewards made any attempt to eject us, the locals were not best pleased if looks could kill I would not be writing this now, my mates gave me a right rollicking in the car after the game, they still call it a near death experience :clap:

We got you back after the game though. Just about every Southend fan under 25 was waiting for Colu after the game. Must have been terrifying for the small group of colu fans there, they legged it onto the pitch to get away from some Southend lads during the game then they were running for their lifes after the game. No chance of that happening tomorrow as the Police will be everywhere.

Didn't get to the 3-0 drubbing but listened on the radio and danced round the house in joy.

For me it has to be Goaters double, what a day.

First Essex derby for me today so a new memory i will never forget..

When that equliser went in, doing the Morinho down the row of seats where i was where people had left early..Priceless

Back