• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

rabbloke

Coach
Sorry, I mean definitely not Barry Fry. Judas! How about Dick Bate or Wignall? Oddly I was never too keen on Dave Webb. Did the business a few times but always left on the pretext of major issues with the chairman/board. How bad was his judgement that he could return to the same ship so many times and believe things would be different?. Bobby Moore was a legend in football and a leg end in football management. Sorry Sir Bobby I don' wish to speak ill of the dead but your best stank. Of days gone by my favourite man at the helm had to be Dave Smith. His times with the club always seemed eventful, his brand of football was entertaining and he had a good eye for bargain transfers. Notably Parker and Morris. On a more contemporary note I believe Rob Newman was the catalyst for the clubs current success in that he was a magnificent servant to the club as a player and equally committed as a manager. It was the beginning of a time when the club seemed to recognise again what the fans wanted, apart from the Wignall blip, and now we have Tilson whom I am very impressed with and his band of players committed to the cause and more and more by birthright.

We could categorise Tilson as a mediocre manager right now, but this bodes well for the club's (and our) future, as he is still learning his trade. If we get promoted out of this awful godforesaken division, I am sure that the real tests will come and it will show how great he is likely to become.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Jan. 18 2005,10:44)]Oddly I was never too keen on Dave Webb. Did the business a few times but always left on the pretext of major issues with the chairman/board. How bad was his judgement that he could return to the same ship so many times and believe things would be different?
Yeah, just the two promotions. Useless to**er
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Jan. 18 2005,11:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Jan. 18 2005,10:44)]Oddly I was never too keen on Dave Webb. Did the business a few times but always left on the pretext of major issues with the chairman/board. How bad was his judgement that he could return to the same ship so many times and believe things would be different?
mad.gif
The trouble with Webb and Fry its their leaving that always left a bad taste....they both deliberately shafted the club...Webb managed it 3 times with us....and ask any Bournemouth or Brentford fan about Webb....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ Jan. 18 2005,11:16)]
[b said:
[b said:
mad.gif
The trouble with Webb and Fry its their leaving that always left a bad taste....they both deliberately shafted the club...Webb managed it 3 times with us....and ask any Bournemouth or Brentford fan about Webb....
David Webb is a Southend legend and only came back last time to help a club in trouble.

His record is superb and he brought us many great moments and his only fault is that he didn't get on with uncle Vic and let's face it who can.

PS: Has any got that picture of Uncle Vic looking like Del Boy in the camel hare coat?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ Jan. 18 2005,11:16)]The trouble with Webb and Fry its their leaving that always left a bad taste....they both deliberately shafted the club...Webb managed it 3 times with us....and ask any Bournemouth or Brentford fan about Webb....
Don't agree with you there.

Each time Webb left Southend, the club were in a far better position than when he arrived. It would have been good if he'd have stayed on the first two occasions, but it wasn't to be, for various reasons.

As for the third time he left, he cited health reasons (I believe). Can't blame the bloke there.

...and if he hadn't stepped int o help in January, we'd have probably made a rash appointment.

Collymore anyone?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ Jan. 18 2005,11:16)]
[b said:
[b said:
mad.gif
I think your way off mark there, As others have stated David Webb is a Legend, and find it hard to see any reasonable argument otherwise. I couldnt give a toss what he did at Bournemouth, brentford or fecking Baghdad for that matter.

DAVID WEBB was magic he wore a magic Hat
He saw the 2nd Division and said im having that

and to even have Fat C$£t Judas mentioned in the same sentence as Sir David Webb is a disgrace

Couldn't put it better myself, Kent Shrimper.

Only Webby has taken this club to a level where we could beat Newcastle 4-0 in the fookin' league, and sit atop the old second... one place off the Premier$hite.

And if you can't be happy with that, then will anything at Southend United make you happy?

If Tilly gets us promotion this season, then he'll be slotting nicely into second place for me (since I post-date the Dave Smith era). I'm struggling to think of a goal I enjoyed more than when Super Tesfaye Bramble slipped the ball through Simon Brown's legs to send the away terrace at Layer Road into delirium.

And that, my friends, is the power of Tilly.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Webby is, and always will be, an SUFC legend. I really cannot believe this is up for debate (although of course everyone has their opinions and healthy debate is what this board is all about). Anyone who witnessed that heady rise through the Divisions under the great man will surely not have any doubts. For those too young to have seen it first hand, as the song goes....

'If, you know, your history.....It's enough to make your heart go wooooaaaaaahhhhhhh'

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Jan. 18 2005,18:49)]IMO I think that Fry has what tilson lacks in one area and thats a Hard Line attitude
Hmm, but Tilly has one big advantage over Fry:

Tilly's not a big fat feckin' Judas *******!!!

tounge.gif

Fry didn't get us to a Cup Final. If Tilly takes us up, his achievements will have surpassed those of the Fat Judas.

Besides, look at Posh now. Whatever Fry used to have, he's clearly lost. No way on earth we'd want him now.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Jan. 18 2005,19:00)]Maybe so Matt but put yourself in his shoes at the time what would you have done?
The thing I wouldn't have done was been a big fat liar, and unpleasant in the process.

Days before he left, he said: "I love this club, and the fans. We've got something really special happening here, and I want to be a part of that."

Well, that was a huge bloody lie, wasn't it. Less than a week later - on my 20th birthday, the b'stard, he fcuked off to Birmingham and called a press conference, announcing:

"Southend are a club going nowhere."

He was probably telling the truth... but it was that metaphorical driving home of the dagger which really hurt me, above all.

Why not say before leaving "It's heartbreaking, but they're a sleeping giant, and even though they're bottom of the league and Southend are 3rd, I can't help thinking that my going to Birmingham could be the start of something special."

Then, after leaving, he could have said something like "...besides, I couldn't envisage building a long term working relationship with Jobson..."

If he'd said those things, then far more people here would, I imagine, be willing to forgive and forget. But no. He was damn rude about us... and in the process he burnt his bridges, so far as I'm concerned.

sad.gif

true But matt if sombody pushed a whole wad of cash infront of you which ment quite a bit of financial security for your nearest and dearest would you have cut and run (not in the same mannor but just the fact of leaving)

Back