• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Ferguson’s Goal

Sussex vs Luton at home was a superb controlled volley.

Angell vs Swindon at home is still one of my fave goals, lovely move forward, knocked up to Benji who lays it off for Angell to volley home a looping side foot shot.

Nielson vs Bolton at home

Most of Lenny's goals were screamers

Seem to remember Otto away at Luton too was brilliant

So many to choose from and thats leaving our Freddy and Stan!

For technique (and a bit for 'the being there' factor), Cox's goal away at Bradford in Jan 2019 is top three 3 for me. A ridiculous outside of the boot shot that seemed incredulous from our position in Valley Parade. The highlights proved it so.

yea great shout, that was brilliant. For all the stick Cox took, you look at a portfolio of his Southend goals and he got some absolute belters, but that would be the pick I think.

All those are wonderful goals but non one else has run back 25 yards thwarting an opposition breakaway attack to nick the ball off an a opponent's toe and then lash the ball in from over 40 yards wind assisted or not. Ferguson’s is the most remarkable.

Yea was superb, think it encapsulates Ferguson perfectly in that one instance. Hard work, puts a tackle in, then turns and shoots from that distance. Brilliant.

It was the goal I remember John Nielsen's goal against Bolton being.

We should also mention Charlie Kelman's debut. In comparison Ferguson's was a tap in.

I know this is being very pedantic, but I do think Ferguson's was better. The difference is that Kelman saw the 'keeper off his line and lobbed him. Ferguson's was actually a shot rather than a lob, with the 'keeper in a pretty good position.

I know you could argue this until the cows come home, so I think I'll just add that it's a nice discussion to be having!

It was as clean a strike as I can remember. Amazing goal.

It’s just my preference though, but I like a team goal or one where a player goes on a mazy run. I think I can remember a great goal scored by Nathan Jones where he dribbled from his own third and slotted past the keeper.

I happen to agree with you here. I like to see a really good team goal. (I seem to remember Arsenal scored a lot of them under Arsene Wenger.) The problem is that they never really seem to be appreciated and don't really seem to win any awards.

This is the best goal scored in a Southend shirt ever ?

Obviously some goals carry more weight in terms of the situation and what it meant (Eastwood vs Man.U)

But we see goals like those every week.

Show me another 45 yard screamer against a keeper in position. No keeper on the planet is saving that and not many players would be able to pull that strike off.

There's no doubt that Nathan Ferguson's goal is one of the best from range I've ever seen, not just in terms of Southend but football in general. The power, the accuracy.. it was a thing of beauty. For that, it ranks up there as my favorite all time Southend goals.

1) Nathan Ferguson vs Forest Green- Reasons already explained.
2) Joe Pigott vs Wycombe- The sheer magnitude or the goal, I've never celebrated quite like it.
3) Freddy Eastwood- vs Man Utd- Technically superb and worthy of winning such a match.
4) Peter Clarke vs Ipswich- The second of a 2-0 win away during the championship year, I swear it was from 30 odd yards but I've never been able to find highlights!
5) John Egan vs Scunthorpe- A central defender shouldn't be able to score a goal like this but he did and it was a belter.

Back