• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
A friend of mine is setting up a movie website over the weekend and he asked me to write a review of a film that, in my opinion, has been ruthlessly over-looked by critics and cinema audiences alike.

He's very eager for material and I know that there's a lot of immensely talented writers on here, so if you would like to get something online somewhere, here's your chance. Simple brief: 250-300 words, but you can't review a film that's already popular. So no 'Star Wars'. Fire away here and I'll get him to let me know which ones he'd like to publish. Here's my effort.

There are times in a gentleman's life when he has had his fill of poignancy and gravitas. When he has taken in too many painstakingly captured landscapes and over-dosed on haunting soliloquies. For these moments when class has no place, for when quality is of the least importance, for when the only thing bigger than the bangs should be the bucks that were spent igniting them, there is 'Starship Troopers'.

When the finest films in history are catalogued, Paul Verhoeven's 1998 tour de force will be lucky to warrant more than a passing mention. It's big, but at first glance, it's certainly not clever. Essentially, it's 'The O.C', set in space and juxtaposed against a vicious interplanetary war between mankind and gigantic carnivorous insects. So far, so Citizen Kane.

Verhoeven's films are noted, not just for his obsession with a future of mixed changing rooms, but also for their grim dystopian flourishes; the macabre news reports of Robocop, the extras in Total Recall. Starship Troopers is in much the same vein and, amusingly, was seized upon by both pro and anti-war campaigners upon its release. It is, it has to be said, astonishingly gory, but at the same time it's so gloriously gung-ho that even Ghandi would have to force himself not to enjoy the opening battle scenes. They're fighting giant insects, what's not to like?

Loosely based on the Robert Heinlein book of the same name, you can take this film in two ways. You can see it as a witty, post-modern pastiche of the new world order, crammed with wry, subversive in-jokes, or you can accept it as nearly two hours of high-octane, blood-thirsty madness. Either way, it is as essential to any boy's DVD collection as Predator, Rambo and Star Wars.

A friend of mine is setting up a movie website over the weekend and he asked me to write a review of a film that, in my opinion, has been ruthlessly over-looked by critics and cinema audiences alike.

He's very eager for material and I know that there's a lot of immensely talented writers on here, so if you would like to get something online somewhere, here's your chance. Simple brief: 250-300 words, but you can't review a film that's already popular. So no 'Star Wars'. Fire away here and I'll get him to let me know which ones he'd like to publish. Here's my effort.

There are times in a gentleman's life when he has had his fill of poignancy and gravitas. When he has taken in too many painstakingly captured landscapes and over-dosed on haunting soliloquies. For these moments when class has no place, for when quality is of the least importance, for when the only thing bigger than the bangs should be the bucks that were spent igniting them, there is 'Starship Troopers'.

When the finest films in history are catalogued, Paul Verhoeven's 1998 tour de force will be lucky to warrant more than a passing mention. It's big, but at first glance, it's certainly not clever. Essentially, it's 'The O.C', set in space and juxtaposed against a vicious interplanetary war between mankind and gigantic carnivorous insects. So far, so Citizen Kane.

Verhoeven's films are noted, not just for his obsession with a future of mixed changing rooms, but also for their grim dystopian flourishes; the macabre news reports of Robocop, the extras in Total Recall. Starship Troopers is in much the same vein and, amusingly, was seized upon by both pro and anti-war campaigners upon its release. It is, it has to be said, astonishingly gory, but at the same time it's so gloriously gung-ho that even Ghandi would have to force himself not to enjoy the opening battle scenes. They're fighting giant insects, what's not to like?

Loosely based on the Robert Heinlein book of the same name, you can take this film in two ways. You can see it as a witty, post-modern pastiche of the new world order, crammed with wry, subversive in-jokes, or you can accept it as nearly two hours of high-octane, blood-thirsty madness. Either way, it is as essential to any boy's DVD collection as Predator, Rambo and Star Wars.

verhoeven's best film was showgirls

:)

It's a film which demands a second viewing, and then a third and then a fourth. Quite simply, LA Confidential is one of those films which needs your constant attention.

Based on the novel by James Elroy, who has been called the "Demon Dog of American crime fiction" for his dark views on the underbelly of American life, this film is on its surface, a simple murder case, which, ends with a classic twist. Look deeper and you'll see many themes, such as redemption, workplace politics, American policing and so on.

The film is set in the 1950s in LA. The optimism of the people is clear, the future is bright, but there is something lurking, something deadly. Gangsters rule the underworld, and three cops are ready to tackle the menace. A simple murder has Ed Exley, who has always wanted to be a detective, and has ehtics unbecoming to a LA police officer in this time; Bud White, a vicious cop who always breaks the rules; and Jack Vincennes, keen to use his celebrity connections to further his other career, vying to solve the case.

Throw in a prostitute company who supplies lookalikes, a nice interrogation scene, a few red herrings, and you have a cracking story.

But it doesn't end there. The casting is A+. From Guy Pearce (yes, Mike from Neighbours) playing Ed Exley to Russel Crowe playing Ed Exell, and Kevin Spacey playing Jack Vincennes. Add Kim Basinger playing a lookalike femme fatale and that's a winning line-up in anyone's books. (ps, Kim won an Oscar for her role here). Finally, add Danny DeVito as a scummy magazine editor for plot purposes and comic effect.

Add to this, writing by the director Curtis Hanson (who also directed 8 Mile Wonder Boys and The Hand That Rocked The Cradle) which won an Oscar, and an incredible 7 Oscar nominations for Best Art Direction-Set Decoration,
Best Cinematography, Best Director, Best Film Editing, Best Music, Original Dramatic Score, Best Picture, Best Sound, and you have a film that is worthy of all the plaudits.

It's a homage to the best of film noir, it has a soundtrack that is second to none, the actors are proper actors, not starry-eyed, only-in-it-for-the-money stars, the set direction, the script, the cinematography are first-class.

If you haven't seen it, you're a fool. If you have, see it again. You'll see something new.

It's a film which demands a second viewing, and then a third and then a fourth. Quite simply, LA Confidential is one of those films which needs your constant attention.

Based on the novel by James Elroy, who has been called the "Demon Dog of American crime fiction" for his dark views on the underbelly of American life, this film is on its surface, a simple murder case, which, ends with a classic twist. Look deeper and you'll see many themes, such as redemption, workplace politics, American policing and so on.

The film is set in the 1950s in LA. The optimism of the people is clear, the future is bright, but there is something lurking, something deadly. Gangsters rule the underworld, and three cops are ready to tackle the menace. A simple murder has Ed Exley, who has always wanted to be a detective, and has ehtics unbecoming to a LA police officer in this time; Bud White, a vicious cop who always breaks the rules; and Jack Vincennes, keen to use his celebrity connections to further his other career, vying to solve the case.

Throw in a prostitute company who supplies lookalikes, a nice interrogation scene, a few red herrings, and you have a cracking story.

But it doesn't end there. The casting is A+. From Guy Pearce (yes, Mike from Neighbours) playing Ed Exley to Russel Crowe playing Ed Exell, and Kevin Spacey playing Jack Vincennes. Add Kim Basinger playing a lookalike femme fatale and that's a winning line-up in anyone's books. (ps, Kim won an Oscar for her role here). Finally, add Danny DeVito as a scummy magazine editor for plot purposes and comic effect.

Add to this, writing by the director Curtis Hanson (who also directed 8 Mile Wonder Boys and The Hand That Rocked The Cradle) which won an Oscar, and an incredible 7 Oscar nominations for Best Art Direction-Set Decoration,
Best Cinematography, Best Director, Best Film Editing, Best Music, Original Dramatic Score, Best Picture, Best Sound, and you have a film that is worthy of all the plaudits.

It's a homage to the best of film noir, it has a soundtrack that is second to none, the actors are proper actors, not starry-eyed, only-in-it-for-the-money stars, the set direction, the script, the cinematography are first-class.

If you haven't seen it, you're a fool. If you have, see it again. You'll see something new.

+ James Cromwell... who stole it for me, quality (and underrated) actor

i might do a review of "a cinderella story"

I really enjoyed that film (and was thoroughly moved), despite not really hearing much acclaim for it. Certainly enjoyed it far more than Million Dollar Baby which was a big let down given the plaudits.

Back