• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

So many good horror films in the last 30 years - just a few below which I think you'll enjoy.

American Psycho
Event Horizon
The Descent
The Silence of the Lambs
REC
The Mist
28 Days Later
The Orphanage
Eden Lake

Depends on what you define as Horror. Silence of the Lambs, American Psycho are certainly not horror in my book. Likewise Zomedy films. Though thinking about it idid watch the modern prequel of the Thing, as i liked the original.

I'm talking supernatural or Friday the 13th type rubbish. Loved the Hammer House of horror type stuff when I was a kid but not impressed with the modern stuff and the violence towards women certainly has an effect no matter what Hollywood apologists claim.

Depends on what you define as Horror. Silence of the Lambs, American Psycho are certainly not horror in my book. Likewise Zomedy films. Though thinking about it idid watch the modern prequel of the Thing, as i liked the original.

I'm talking supernatural or Friday the 13th type rubbish
. Loved the Hammer House of horror type stuff when I was a kid but not impressed with the modern stuff and the violence towards women certainly has an effect no matter what Hollywood apologists claim.

I can remember being taken to see the original Thing at the cinema (when I must have been underage).Great film.Also liked a lot of Hammer horror but sadly a lot of it doesn't stand up today.

I can remember being taken to see the original Thing at the cinena (when I must have been underage).Great film.Also liked a lot of Hammer horror but sadly a lot of it doesn't stand up today.

Im talking the early 80's film starring Kurt Russell

I'm talking supernatural or Friday the 13th type rubbish. Loved the Hammer House of horror type stuff when I was a kid but not impressed with the modern stuff and the violence towards women certainly has an effect no matter what Hollywood apologists claim.

Silence and AP are horror - in my opinion of course, horror gives you a horrific feeling. Whether that's dread or spookiness, or jump scares, whether it's based on real life or supernatural, it's all bona fide.

In my list apart from the above two:
Event Horizon - sci-fi horror
The Descent - cave horror (so claustrophobia and monsters)
REC - Spanish found footage (monsters)
The Mist - Stephen King adaption (great ending)
28 Days Later- UK-set pandemic
The Orphanage - Del Toro ghost film
Eden Lake - UK-set gritty film

all of them are horror, and all of them are well-crafted, expert pieces.

Silence and AP are horror - in my opinion of course, horror gives you a horrific feeling. Whether that's dread or spookiness, or jump scares, whether it's based on real life or supernatural, it's all bona fide.

In my list apart from the above two:
Event Horizon - sci-fi horror
The Descent - cave horror (so claustrophobia and monsters)
REC - Spanish found footage (monsters)
The Mist - Stephen King adaption (great ending)
28 Days Later- UK-set pandemic
The Orphanage - Del Toro ghost film
Eden Lake - UK-set gritty film

all of them are horror, and all of them are well-crafted, expert pieces.

I watched numerous games involving SUFC that have given me feelings of dread, made me jumpy and been given a horrific feeling.......but they don't really count either.

Otherwise you could include any war film or Westerns for that matter. For me Horror involves supernatural or slasher type movies. Those are the ones that very rarely interest me.

Okay, Alien was sci fi; but was it also not more of a horror movie? much more than SW or ST or Terminator franchises which are straight sci fi?
For me Alien is 70/30 horror/sci fi.

Thoroughly enjoyed Open Range* earlier.Thought it was a wonderful old style Western.My only excuse for not seeing it before was that I'm not much of Kevin Costner fan (TBF he was excellent in this on both sides of the camera though Robert Duval was superb).Enjoyed the DVD extras too.

*Thanks to MG and UWS for the heads up on this.

Thoroughly enjoyed Open Range* earlier.Thought it was a wonderful old style Western.My only excuse for not seeing it before was that I'm not much of Kevin Costner fan (TBF he was excellent in this on both sides of the camera though Robert Duval was superb).Enjoyed the DVD extras too.

*Thanks to MG and UWS for the heads up on this.

Me neither but Dances with Wolves is a top film. I'll put Open Range on my list.

Saw Antonioni's (1975) The Passenger again last night with Jack Nicolson and Maria Schneider (before her infamous appearance in Last Tango with Brando).Pretensious but beautifuly filmed.Not a patch,IMO,on A.'s earlier English language films Blow Up and Zabriskie Point.Some great scenes shot in Barcelona at the Hotel Oriente (still there at the top of Las Ramblas).Including a scene with the young Joan Gaspart,appropriately as the hotel receptionist, who went on to become Bar$a's President,Famously the man who sacked the late,great Johan Cruyff.

Im talking the early 80's film starring Kurt Russell
I LOVE John carpenter films, was never given a decent budget but made some great low budget cult films.
The thing
Big trouble in little China
The fog
Halloween
Escape from NY
Christine
Eyes of Laura Mars

My favourite was “assault on precinct 13”, brilliant film, and worth watching for just the music.

It should also win the award for “ worst title”
It was district 13, precinct 9

Back