• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

The new batman film. Very dark and mysterious, so much so that I stopped watching after half an hour as I had no idea what was going on.

My Uncle Cyril got torpedoed on RMS Viceroy of India in the med in 1942. After rescue he spent month in New York while his next (liberty?) ship was being built. He also did Russia convoys and had very busy war as merchant seaman.
He spoke of a very happy month as a young Brit in NY being paid to do nothing but wasn't so positive on US anything else.
He loved Malta where he spent time after rescue from the sinking.
Your Uncle Cyril was lucky. Many had their pay stopped the day the ship sunk. Some arrived home to find they were being evicted because they hadn't paid the rent.

in what way was it re written?
Whilst the opening landing scenes were good the mission to find Ryan is total cheesy US nonsense. It was a Chaplin who was sent to find him. Nothing as exciting as a platoon having friendly chats with their Captain whilst wondering through the bocage making god bless America life and death decisions.

The only mention of Brits and Canadians is one line slag about Montgomery. Even many Brits don't know that more British and Canadians landed on D-day than US troops.

Whilst the opening landing scenes were good the mission to find Ryan is total cheesy US nonsense. It was a Chaplin who was sent to find him. Nothing as exciting as a platoon having friendly chats with their Captain whilst wondering through the bocage making god bless America life and death decisions.

The only mention of Brits and Canadians is one line slag about Montgomery. Even many Brits don't know that more British and Canadians landed on D-day than US troops.
I think the fact the film is “ saving private Ryan “ and not “saving private Niland” allows them to change the story. I don’t recall it ever being marketed as a true story.

Not sure why we would be mentioned , I don’t recall US troops being mentioned in “ all quiet on the western front” which has been discussed on this thread, but no one has brought that up.

Enigma would be a much better example of “US rewriting history”

United we stand....."Not sure why we would be mentioned , I don’t recall US troops being mentioned in “ all quiet on the western front” which has been discussed on this thread, but no one has brought that up." Have you seen it yet?

Your Uncle Cyril was lucky. Many had their pay stopped the day the ship sunk. Some arrived home to find they were being evicted because they hadn't paid the rent.
He was lucky indeed, he went back to Malta many years after the war, funded by the Lottery to a seige survivors reunion.
And after the war he got a good job, first as an apprentice, then as an actual plumber with Basildon Development Corporation which paid well and came with a house.

He was lucky indeed, he went back to Malta many years after the war, funded by the Lottery to a seige survivors reunion.
And after the war he got a good job, first as an apprentice, then as an actual plumber with Basildon Development Corporation which paid well and came with a house.
Was that the first world war?!!!

blues exile....A pleasure..........I too simply love films that happen in olde world London...."Night And The City" Richard Widmark--Film Noir set in London is great.

Today we have a very rarely shown film from 1957 (it may well be the first of the British new wave).

Link above.

1672339628373.png

Today we have a very rarely shown film from 1957 (it may well be the first of the British new wave).

Link above.

View attachment 24003
Just go to any Tesco before 3pm.

I think the fact the film is “ saving private Ryan “ and not “saving private Niland” allows them to change the story. I don’t recall it ever being marketed as a true story.

Not sure why we would be mentioned , I don’t recall US troops being mentioned in “ all quiet on the western front” which has been discussed on this thread, but no one has brought that up.

Enigma would be a much better example of “US rewriting history”

Yes it was just a story....Except Montgomery was not a fictional character or the fact that the Germans sent their best troops to the Caen section including their SS panther divisions.

Thats what other posters mean when they say the Yanks changing history. It just Hollywood, apart from the constant dig at the Brits and Canadians.

As for All quiet on the Western front. The US did not arrive in numbers until 1918. The majority of German soldiers never ever see one let alone shoot at one. Im sure if the is a 4th version of the film that could be changed.

I can see it now a young British Captain Montgomery cowering in his trench until Lieutenant Patton of the US army saves the day and a changes the course of history..

Yes it was just a story....Except Montgomery was not a fictional character or the fact that the Germans sent their best troops to the Caen section including their SS panther divisions.

Thats what other posters mean when they say the Yanks changing history. It just Hollywood, apart from the constant dig at the Brits and Canadians.

As for All quiet on the Western front. The US did not arrive in numbers until 1918. The majority of German soldiers never ever see one let alone shoot at one. Im sure if the is a 4th version of the film that could be changed.

I can see it now a young British Captain Montgomery cowering in his trench until Lieutenant Patton of the US army saves the day and a changes the course of history..
Next you’ll tell me Pele never played against the Nazis

Back