• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I was there that day.

1974-75 season, IIRC. I've still got the programme with the football boot in the top left hand corner.

Yes was there for both games. Didn't Nobby Styles play that day too for Preston. The Bournemouth game wasn't Harry Rednapp either playing or Manager?

I was there that day.

1974-75 season, IIRC. I've still got the programme with the football boot in the top left hand corner.

............... 1-1 draw. Think you're right that Nobby Stiles played, as well.

87278-md.jpg

Found the programme online of the match at Deepdale.

Look at those famous old names there. :cool:

.... and Preston had a few, as well. :winking:.. Like an old Man Utd who's who!

40457a.jpg

View attachment 3977

Remember being there at the home match as a teenager and also my Dad getting very annoyed when some
Blues fans booed Bobby Charlton !

View attachment 3977

Just checked the match details and even with those experienced old heads for PNE, we won 4-1 and were 3-0 up at Half-Time! :thumbsup::cool:

Was also the Anglia TV Match of the Week (Anglia's version of The Big Match) Sunday highlights match.

I'd forgotten about that, but found this site which lists every match covered by 'Match of the Week' and there it is :-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/Anglia.html

Interestingly, I never knew or remembered the QPR cup-tie was shown and also a 1-0 home win against Watford in 1977-78, as well as the 3-3 draw with Port Vale in 1975-76.

Be great if they still had the archive footage somewhere in their vaults.

The Bournemouth game wasn't Harry Rednapp either playing or Manager?

Dave Webb was manager of Bournemouth for most of that season but was sacked before the Southend game after falling out with the Chairman (sound familiar?). Redknapp had been his assistant and whether he stayed on as assistant to Webb's replacement, Don Megson, I don't know.

Dave Webb was manager of Bournemouth for most of that season but was sacked before the Southend game after falling out with the Chairman (sound familiar?). Redknapp had been his assistant and whether he stayed on as assistant to Webb's replacement, Don Megson, I don't know.

According to wiki:

At the beginning of the 1982–83 season Redknapp took up his first major coaching role as assistant manager to David Webb at Bournemouth, six years after leaving the club as a player. Redknapp applied for the manager's job when Webb moved to Torquay United part way through that season, but was overlooked in favour of Don Megson. Megson was sacked in late 1983 as Bournemouth were in the Third Division relegation places, and Redknapp was hired as his replacement in October 1983.

League game v Bournemouth. A very overweight and unfit looking George tried hard for the first 5 mins then completely faded out of the game. I think he was subbed. Don't think he played again.

Yep that was my recollection, seem to recall it was a hot day and the game was so boring I spent most if sat/sunbathing on the South Bank steps.

I'd forgotten about that, but found this site which lists every match covered by 'Match of the Week' and there it is :-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/Anglia.html

Interestingly, I never knew or remembered the QPR cup-tie was shown and also a 1-0 home win against Watford in 1977-78, as well as the 3-3 draw with Port Vale in 1975-76.

Be great if they still had the archive footage somewhere in their vaults.[/Qe
wanted to watch these games again as well.I know they use to sell them..anglia tv...

They were expensive..but looked again a few years later,cannot find now how to buy them.
The QPR cup game,Watford away77-78 & Cambridge away..76??? would be good.
Was at the PNE ,home game,but dont remember "our kid" playing,still,with Bobby Moore,my favourite player of all time....with the KING BILLY,MOORO..and Sir BOBBY

The game was against Bournemouth and all I really recall is a somewhat portly Best attempting to score from the kick-off. It was the latest and last of his comebacks, I believe. Although he also made a brief comeback with Hibernian whuch may have been just before or after the Bournemouth one.

Courtesy of our friends at Wikipedia, Best's entire career, he did get about a bit!

Youth career
1961–1963Manchester United
Senior career*
YearsTeamApps[SUP][/SUP](Gls)[SUP][/SUP]
1963–1974Manchester United361(137)
1974Jewish Guild (loan)5(1)
1974Dunstable Town (loan)0(0)
1975Stockport County3(2)
1975–1976Cork Celtic3(0)
1976Los Angeles Aztecs23(15)
1976–1977Fulham42(8)
1977–1978Los Angeles Aztecs32(12)
1978–1979Fort Lauderdale Strikers28(6)
1979–1980Hibernian17(3)
1980–1981San Jose Earthquakes56(21)
1980–1982San Jose Earthquakes (indoor)21(33)
1982Sea Bee2(0)
1982Hong Kong Rangers1(0)
1983Bournemouth5(0)
1983Brisbane Lions4(0)
1983Osborne Park Galeb1(1)
1983Nuneaton Borough0(0)
1984Tobermore United0(0)
Total604(239)
National team
1964–1977Northern Ireland37(9

I remember that day well ,, The crowd was buzzing with anticipation at the prospect of seeing George Best play ... many people arrived extra early to get a peek ... i took my autograph book ( i was just a small kid ! ) and had already got a few Blues hero's --- in fact i was chatting to Keith Mercer + just as he was putting his scribble in my book he said to me -- if you go quickly now you'll get HIS ! +nodded in the direction of George Best being ushered through the car park .... i said thanks + legged it over + got George to sign page 1 that i had reserved for such a superstar! I remember thinking at the time what an aura he had + even though he was old , over weight + heavily bearded he still had that twinkle in his eye that made me understand why all the girls adulated him !!! I remember him shooting a couple of times from long range , but otherwise being ( obviously ) no where near as good as all the footage id seen him on tv , but was still brilliant to see a true footballing legend grace the hallowed turf at Roots Hall. I remember the crowd clapping him heartily even when he made a simple five yard sideways pass !!!

Seeing that photo reminded me of how heavy all footballers were in those days ... When it was a mans game + the likes of Paul Clark could kick lumps out of you and get merely a ticking off from the ref ... Look at how athletic ( skinny ) all players are in the modern game..... I reckon Gary Deegan would have looked like the skinny bloke in our team !!!!

Happy days !!!!!!

I was there, East Stand Green with my Dad. Best did a few tricks but looked knackered and got subbed early. Proud to have been there though.

They were expensive..but looked again a few years later,cannot find now how to buy them.
The QPR cup game,Watford away77-78 & Cambridge away..76??? would be good.
Was at the PNE ,home game,but dont remember "our kid" playing,still,with Bobby Moore,my favourite player of all time....with the KING BILLY,MOORO..and Sir BOBBY

I would pay good money to see footage of those 3 games again.......

Back