• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Courtesy of our friends at Wikipedia, Best's entire career, he did get about a bit!

Even more so OFF the pitch... :smile:

original

original

original

Does any one remember and or was at Newport County Blues match in January 1971. I was at studying at Bristol and played for the student team there. Many of my team mates knew I was a Blues fan and so I persuaded about 10 of them to join me at the old County Ground railway sleepers as terracing.

Newport had set a league record of not winning a game since the start of the season 25 games and I think 21 losses and 4 draws.yes you know what happened. we lost 3.0
Was anybody else there. I never lived it down with my team mates.

I was there too. The crowd... including Bournmouth weren't sure whether he'd turn up or not ...or what shape or state he'd be in. Apparently he hadn't trained with them or met his team mates until just before kick off in the dressing room. I thought he came on as a sub and didn't start ....but am probably wrong.

Just studied the thumbnail photos for the first time, is the tall dark haired lad behind GB England schoolboy sensation Paul Rideout ??

Does any one remember and or was at Newport County Blues match in January 1971. I was at studying at Bristol and played for the student team there. Many of my team mates knew I was a Blues fan and so I persuaded about 10 of them to join me at the old County Ground railway sleepers as terracing.

Newport had set a league record of not winning a game since the start of the season 25 games and I think 21 losses and 4 draws.yes you know what happened. we lost 3.0
Was anybody else there. I never lived it down with my team mates.

I was there. Drove over from Southampton and the roads weren't so good in those days.

We were lucky to get nil and I drove back to Southampton same night.

Nuts or what?

I was also at the Southend v Bournemouth match and at that time was part of the Supporters Club Committee. George Best made 5 appearances for Bournemouth which were in the following matches:- 26/3/83.Newport County(H)lost 0-1.Att.9,121; 9/4/83.Chesterfield(H)won 2-1.Att.5,227; 16/4/83. Southend United(A)drew 0-0.Att.4,275; 23/4/83.Lincoln City(H)won 1-0. Att.5,018; 7/5/83.Wigan Athletic(H)drew 2-2.Att.4,523. As you can see only the Southend game was away from home and that match turned out to be George's last ever away match in the football league at the age of 36. Just before the match started with the teams in the tunnel, I was at the time looking after a friend of mine(Smudger)who was in a wheelchair recovering from a broken leg whilst playing for Southend United Supporters Club so having wheeled him next to the East Stand, I walked along the cinder track down the tunnel got George to sign a programme then went back and gave it to Smudger.(If you read this Tinks and Tony still has the programme can I have it back please).

I played in that match that Smudger broke his leg. Over at Snakes Lane.

Horrendous tackle. Can't remember the opposition, but it was a cup semi, I think. We went on to play in the final at Roots Hall.

We had to leave Smudger on the pitch, as we couldn't move him and completed the rest of the match on the pitch next door!

I've still got the programmes that Russ (R.I.P) used to put together for those matches, back in the day.

Great times.:thumbsup:

Be great if they still had the archive footage somewhere in their vaults.
wanted to watch these games again as well.I know they use to sell them..anglia tv...

I'm wondering where we would start in trying to get the footage.

Whether the East Anglian Archive guys would know?

http://www.eafa.org.uk/

Happy to try emailing them and see if, in some dusty vaults somewhere, the old Anglia TV stuff still exists.

Done. I emailed the East Anglian Archive website this morning for some guidance and to see if anyone knows where the old tapes would be.

Here's hoping. :thumbsup:

Found the programme online of the match at Deepdale.

Look at those famous old names there. :cool:

.... and Preston had a few, as well. :winking:.. Like an old Man Utd who's who!

View attachment 3977

I was thinking that was an odd-looking Southend team on the programme but then remembered that programmes were printed a day or two before the match so I always took a pen to the match with me to change the names to who was actually playing. Players didn't have squad numbers in those days, of course, so printing the whole squad list, like they do in modern programmes, wasn't possible. I would guess that Alan Moody would have partnered Neil Townsend at centre back. Does anyone know what our actual team was for that match?

I can dig it out, but first, a question.

Someone not listed in the team there scored twice on the day. Can you name them?

I can dig it out, but first, a question.

Someone not listed in the team there scored twice on the day. Can you name them?

Peter Silvester.
He had a good goals ratio with us. I remember him going on loan in the summer a few times whilst with us, to play in the American League, which was very poor in those days with small crowds. They weren't into football(Soccer) in those days.
I always felt it left him knackered as he had no summer break from playing.

Peter Silvester.
He had a good goals ratio with us. I remember him going on loan in the summer a few times whilst with us, to play in the American League, which was very poor in those days with small crowds. They weren't into football(Soccer) in those days.
I always felt it left him knackered as he had no summer break from playing.
Peter fell out with the then manager Dave Smith because he was playing in America , never really played in the Southend team after that .

Back