• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Getting fit help required..

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Im in need of getting fit and losing some weight.

I was 10 stone at 21 and now i am 32 i am 15 stone.

I have been slowly gaining puppy fat for a good while.

If i dont start soon i will be a proper unit.

Anybody been in the same position and could give me some help or advice that would be cool.

I have to mention that i had a minor op last month and as a result i cant ride a bike or go swimming for another few weeks.

I did a mile run for the first time in ages yesterday and was blowing up at the end.

High Intensity Interval Training. Or don't even bother.

Scientifically proven to burn more fat and increase your metabolism. Try Tabata sprints... 20 seconds of maximum effort, followed by 10 seconds of minimal effort. Repeat 8 times (4 minutes), then 3 minutes of casual effort, and repeat the 4 minute cycle again. You can do this by sprinting down a park or on any of the cardio machines down the gym. I prefer to do it on an exercise bike as it's easier to hit the your maximum exertion, and then you don't run the risk of stacking it off the treadmill and looking like a right tit when you increase the speed.

That's the equivalent of an 11 minute work-out and, trust me, if you do it properly you'll definitely feel it. Do that 4/5 times a week with some weight routines, with a healthy diet, and the weight will fall off.

If you are going to run get a good pair of trainers, I prefer Asics myself

Don't try and do too much too soon, if its just running do not increase by more than 10% a week

Again , if its running, try and vary the terrain, grass and woodland is more forgiving than tarmac so mix it up .
also mix up the runs to add interest, hill repetitions (hard up the hill , jog back down and etc) or intervals (Find a football pitch jog the goal line , then hard down the length of the pitch for a couple of laps, then Jog the goal line hard across the diagonal for a few laps and finish with jog the length and sprint the Goal line for a couple)

Try and get a training partner

High Intensity Interval Training. Or don't even bother.

Scientifically proven to burn more fat and increase your metabolism. Try Tabata sprints... 20 seconds of maximum effort, followed by 10 seconds of minimal effort. Repeat 8 times (4 minutes), then 3 minutes of casual effort, and repeat the 4 minute cycle again. You can do this by sprinting down a park or on any of the cardio machines down the gym. I prefer to do it on an exercise bike as it's easier to hit the your maximum exertion, and then you don't run the risk of stacking it off the treadmill and looking like a right tit when you increase the speed.

That's the equivalent of an 11 minute work-out and, trust me, if you do it properly you'll definitely feel it. Do that 4/5 times a week with some weight routines, with a healthy diet, and the weight will fall off.

Thumbs up here for Tabata as well. Like anything, it depends on how much you put into it but it is a killer (in a good way!). If you haven't done much exercise lately though then perhaps give yourself a couple of weeks doing some steady cardio such as the running and try to build up to 3 miles, then give it a go once you have a little bit of base fitness.

Thumbs up here for Tabata as well. Like anything, it depends on how much you put into it but it is a killer (in a good way!). If you haven't done much exercise lately though then perhaps give yourself a couple of weeks doing some steady cardio such as the running and try to build up to 3 miles, then give it a go once you have a little bit of base fitness.

If you find traditional tabata too difficult, then you can reverse it to build up some base fitness, so 10 seconds maximum/20 seconds minimum... then build up to 15 seconds each way.

Thx for the help. My problem has always been i prefer competitor sports. I think i am going to try and do some of that each week aswell.

Someone told me that power walking was also good if not better than running. Is that the case?

Also, set yourself some realistic goals. Wouldn't focus too much on how much you weigh but either measure your waist and try to reduce it, or measure some fitness aspects (how much weight you can lift, how quick you can do a 3 mile run etc.......) and every month try to improve it, or set yourself a challenge......run a half marathon next year etc. I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning it, but SZFC's Flapper lots a huge amount of weight in the past year to compete in the southend half marathon this summer.

Oh and sort out the diet (there is loads of info on web about what to eat and when). I was told once that you can't outtrain a bad diet. Pity as I am addicted to crisps and chinese!

Last edited:
Thx for the help. My problem has always been i prefer competitor sports. I think i am going to try and do some of that each week aswell.

I can understand that......why not get into a sport that you enjoy? Certainly football and squash are something that you would be able to find a game at whatever level you are at.

Someone told me that power walking was also good if not better than running. Is that the case?

Running often deters people with casual attitudes to exercise because, when you first start, it can hurt like hell... Especially if you go in with the wrong attitude and wrong gear. Like Firestorm says, buy a decent pair of running shoes, increase your runs incrementally and try to do it every other day.

Also, set yourself some realistic goals. Wouldn't focus too much on how much you weigh but either measure your waist and try to reduce it, or measure some fitness aspects (how much weight you can lift, how quick you can do a 3 mile run etc.......) and every month try to improve it, or set yourself a challenge......run a half marathon next year etc. I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning it, but SZFC's Flapper lots a huge amount of weight in the past year to compete in the southend half marathon this summer.

Oh and sort out the diet (there is loads of info on web about what to eat and when). I was told once that you can't outtrain a bad diet. Pity as I am addicted to crisps and chinese!

I've been doing weight watchers and going to the gym since April and have lost a stone and a half and more importantly gone from a size 40 jeans to 32.

I've also just got a personal trainer to help me do weight training and its a killer. Had a session last Thursday and today is the first day I feel fit enough to go back to the gym! I hope the more I do though, the quicker the recovery.

But back to the OP, definitely diet first - as stated above, you cannot outrun a bad diet. Its quite shocking to be pounding the treadmill for 12 mins, get absolutely bollocksed and see you've burnt off 130 calories (or similar), which is the equivalent of a couple of bits of low fat bread!!

So good diet, good excercise and commitment!

Its hard now the footie season is back though as I sneaked a cheeseburger at Aldershot and regretted it for days...

I've also just got a personal trainer to help me do weight training and its a killer. Had a session last Thursday and today is the first day I feel fit enough to go back to the gym! I hope the more I do though, the quicker the recovery.

Personal trainers, providing you get the right one, are great... In terms of quicker recovery, talk to your trainer about protein shakes right for your goals. When I first started to weight train seriously I used to get a lot of pain for days after and I was advised by my flatmate to try a specific protein shake. The protein helps the muscle grow and repair itself quicker, which will mean less pain, although you'll definitely feel something if you've only just started. Rest assured though, it will get better... But that just means it's time to switch up your routine ;)

I run a quite a bit (15-20 miles a week), and play footy and go to the gym. The most effective thing I've found for weight loss and toning though has been swimming. I used to hate it, but now I've got into it and I've really felt and seen the benefits.

I know you said you can't go currently, but definitely worth considering when you can. even if it's just once every week.

Get in contact with these guys, Essex Boot Camp . The training sessions are pretty full on - I was physically ill after my first session but not only will you lose weight but gain some serious muscle endurance. Can't recommend them highly enough, much better than joining a gym.

Think thats it pubey .

When i was younger i used to do 60 lengths 3 times a week and ride my bike like 20 miles no problem. Ive never been a great runner but i used to be able to do 3 miles easy . Yesterday was a struggle to do a mile and the extra weight im hauling aint helping for sure.

Im gonna stick with it . I also joined the gym about a month ago but havent been able to use it because of the op.

Personal trainers, providing you get the right one, are great... In terms of quicker recovery, talk to your trainer about protein shakes right for your goals. When I first started to weight train seriously I used to get a lot of pain for days after and I was advised by my flatmate to try a specific protein shake. The protein helps the muscle grow and repair itself quicker, which will mean less pain, although you'll definitely feel something if you've only just started. Rest assured though, it will get better... But that just means it's time to switch up your routine ;)

Yea ta! We touched on that after my last session. I've tried the protein shakes before and they are foul! When I got home from training, I ate a lot of chicken and pasta hoping to get some protein and carbs in - probably not enough though.

Have to be careful with the shakes because of my diet too, but I'll check out the calories etc.

I run a quite a bit (15-20 miles a week), and play footy and go to the gym. The most effective thing I've found for weight loss and toning though has been swimming. I used to hate it, but now I've got into it and I've really felt and seen the benefits.

I know you said you can't go currently, but definitely worth considering when you can. even if it's just once every week.

Definitely swimming yep! As part of going to the gym, I have a swim at least twice a week and like you I used to hate it, but I really enjoy it now and really does feel good once you've had a good old splash around :)

Yea ta! We touched on that after my last session. I've tried the protein shakes before and they are foul! When I got home from training, I ate a lot of chicken and pasta hoping to get some protein and carbs in - probably not enough though.

Have to be careful with the shakes because of my diet too, but I'll check out the calories etc.

Definitely swimming yep! As part of going to the gym, I have a swim at least twice a week and like you I used to hate it, but I really enjoy it now and really does feel good once you've had a good old splash around :)

Yep I've been doing about 40 lengths, and then I reward myself by sitting in the jacuzzi and the sauna for a bit!

In terms of taste, you get what you pay for... The cheap shakes from Holland & Barret taste like crap because, well, they are crap. If you're calorie-conscious, check out the Maximuscle Light range (can't remember the exact name, green label) and they come in some great flavours that taste good too (try vanilla).

Another little tip to make them more palatable is, instead of having two scoops of protein powder, replace one of the scoops with ordinary powdered milk. Just as much protein, a bit more carbs, but it makes them taste considerablly better.

Another advocate of Tabata here, although if you're going to do it on a bike I'd say maybe don't use the bog standard gym exercise bikes, see if you can get to use their Spin bikes, as they're fixed wheel they provide a lot better and smoother ride during each interval (just don't stop pedalliing during the 10 seconds off period!!!)

Also would recommend general Spin classes although you might need to shop around for better instructors, usually the females who had transferred across from aerobics instructing were the worst type of spin classes. Swimming and walking also are good for weight loss and general fitness.

Another key a lot of people neglect is nutrition, drink loads of plain water and cut down on the booze & caffeine. Also, if you are doing the HIIT stuff maybe try some of the exercise recovery drinks to aid muscle replenishment.

As pubey said, swimming is awesome. I swam competitively for 11 years, 5 sessions a week and was extremely fit. Then i went to uni...and couldnt keep up the training. I still swim every so often but i've began to feel tiredness when exercising which i never really did before. I did a half marathon last year, but running isnt for me as even with proper shoes, i get shin splints and painful knees.

I would recommend swimming when you can, and initially for a month, go a few times a week doing endurance long distance sessions. Then after you have the fitness under your belt, you can work on short bursts of speed and varying it up a lot more which will really benefit you. I know it's tempting to vary it up earlier, but you will find yourself getting tired far too soon and not getting enough out of it.

Back