• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Give me Strength - Depression, Anxiety, Stress et al.

southend4ever

I used to play a little.
Is anyone out there suffering and doesn't know who to turn to?

I want to provide support to any SUFC fans who need someone to talk to. Having had a shocker in 2011 suffering with depression, I know that some of you reached out to me and suffer yourselves. The response was overwhelming and talking helps no end.

Let's get talking again. It helps.

Smile. Be positive. Communicate.

Drop me a PM or leave a message in here and lets communicate our health problems. I will respect your privacy. Let's make 2012 a good year off the pitch too!

Greg

Not a sufferer myself, but my old man was hit by depression throughout most of his life and the doctors advice (in the 70's) was to "pull himself together". :thumbdown:

Must green rep to S4ever for this topic, and what a great website this can be. :thumbsup:

Thanks to those that have contacted me. It helps to talk. Be open, help to understand your problems.

Together we are united.

x

Hearing some of the stories is overwhelming. People suffer too often in silence.

To think most people see hundreds of people every day and within those will be tens of people who are suffering and yet you would never know to look at them!

On a related note, I'd thoroughly recommend the book about Robert Enke (A Life Too Short). Tough going in places, but extremely insightful.

On a related note, I'd thoroughly recommend the book about Robert Enke (A Life Too Short). Tough going in places, but extremely insightful.

Top Drawer - Thanks Pubey - will try and give it a go.

I was reduced to tears when I read Marcus Trescothicks book. I found the Freddy Flintoff programme pretty tough but it was pleasant viewing the way it was filmed.

Regards,

Funnily enough I am really struggling at the moment.

Many more pains coming back and lots of anxiety. Trying to be strong.

Believe all of you sufferer's - there is light at the end

You got through it before, and you'll get through it again. It's not easy, but do remember, you're never alone. If you ever need to talk to someone, there are many on here who will provide a friendly voice. Myself included.

I would have never thought this website would be the place to talk about such a complicated issue, and you made it happen. I believe there are many still in the shadows, but look at how many have stepped forward. Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself, is to do something for other people. Thank you.

Next time you reply, forget about what I said. I want to hear about you. Cy.

You got through it before, and you'll get through it again. It's not easy, but do remember, you're never alone. If you ever need to talk to someone, there are many on here who will provide a friendly voice. Myself included.
Yep, well said. A lot of people sneer about counselling but that is what this is becoming like on here, just opening up a little to someone who is sympathetic but impartial can be truly beneficial. As someone who used to suffer from panic attacks, and battled with anxiety and depression, the support that you get from others can be the thing you cling onto when you're down - a real lifeline.

Stick with it, you've done really well :thumbsup:

For me the most annoying part is all of those lingering doubts that re-appear when you spend so long trying to eradicate them. I had threatened to write my story but I have tried twice and it reduces me to tears. The feelings that I was experiencing then begin to resurface which is distressing. There is no doubt that having experienced a mental health issue has made me stronger but it has also changed me as a person.

I have fought for a year now against the illness and have had both good and bad days. However, just to get back on my two feet and walk around is a far better place than where I was during the dark times, a year ago. What I have just written highlights the people in this world that are not blessed with good fortune. There are many people worse off than you and I and rather sadly it has taken this mental state to realise it. I’m embarrassed to say that previously I didn’t give some people my time that truly deserved it. There are so many out there who would benefit from having people around them that can understand their pain.

I don’t think many of these people nor I, are looking for sympathy. My aim is to increase knowledge and better communication to help create a feel good factor for those that have suffered and are suffering and give those who haven’t a better all round view on mental health issues. At some point I will finish writing my notes on my experience of depression and as previously threatened will post on SZ.

The past year has taught me that without the love and support of those close to me I would not have been able to have been so upbeat and determined to make a recovery. I did, and there is no reason why you can’t. I won’t attempt to provide anyone with counselling but I will leave you with one thought.

If you take just one stimulus and give that to everyone you know, you are sure to provoke many a different reaction. It’s not what you think it’s how you think.

I think its a topic that needs discussing as I think there is too much silence and taboo around the topic.

I think its sometimes helps to write things down on paper, the pluses and the negatives of your life, and I think you will sometimes in the cold light of day realise how lucky you are.

I dont think I have ever suffered from depression, I have had spells in my life that have seemed awful and I have had periods that are amazing. I think they tend to balance themselves out in general and even dare I say you have more positives than downs.

I had a bit of a health scare of late. Really minor stuff but it made me realise how valuable my life is. I started to think that really no matter what the problem with the exception of your health and the health of your loved ones, nothing is that bad.

If you had money worries most people can fall back to family (to live) if worst came to the worst, if you hate your life you can change it for the better given time. Whatever the issue with the exception of health I think whilst you think its a long term problem its not.

I think the other thing to remember is that your not the only one. Everyone has high and lows, at times we all loose it and and times we all feel we cant cope. However the love of those closest to you can get you through anything. And often I think things that can get us down can often be clouds with silver linings.

Having lost two fairly close friends through suicide after depression I always try and make myself available for my pals so that they know they have a friend they can talk too. I think talking is the key to overcoming.

thank you for bringing attention to this to everyone, I used to poo poo the idea of depression yet here I am
having those very feelings myself.

I served in the Falklands war (although Maggie called it a conflict) I was on the HMS Coventry type 42 class
as some of you my know she was sunk on 20th May 1982. 283 myself included servived 19 of my shipmates
sadly died, as we get nearer to the 30th anervasary of that day I find im having more down days thinking of
all those that perished on both sides during that "conflict" something that has never happened before it just
goes to show you never know when it will creep up on you.

Im sure I will get through this just having an oppotunaty to talk about it on here has helped.
Its a great thread I for one will certainly react differantly when I hear someone is suffering with
depression

My psychologist called depression a sense of loss . Either in your out look on life or as many find an event(s) that occur in our life's . Sometimes our systems simply cannot cope any more , and we need help and the specific help to aid us in rebuilding and recovering from this . The more we talk about it the more people are aware and even those on the brink can be helped so as not to go over .

It's not a sign of weakness as the saying goes just you have been string for too long.

thank you for bringing attention to this to everyone, I used to poo poo the idea of depression yet here I am
having those very feelings myself.

I served in the Falklands war (although Maggie called it a conflict) I was on the HMS Coventry type 42 class
as some of you my know she was sunk on 20th May 1982. 283 myself included servived 19 of my shipmates
sadly died, as we get nearer to the 30th anervasary of that day I find im having more down days thinking of
all those that perished on both sides during that "conflict" something that has never happened before it just
goes to show you never know when it will creep up on you.

Im sure I will get through this just having an oppotunaty to talk about it on here has helped.
Its a great thread I for one will certainly react differantly when I hear someone is suffering with
depression

It's things like this that help others to put things into perspective.

Back