• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Which of our keepers should be number 1.

• Teddy Smith - Its his time

Votes: 81 76.4%
  • Mark Oxley - Things can only get better

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • Bart

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rootshallbloke

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have Oxley and the Smiths, or Smith and Oxley, or Oxley and Smith, dependent on your preferences. None of them are up to the standards that we have come to expect with Daniel Bentley so whoever becomes the regular custodian of our goal is going to require a lot of patience from fans and players alike.

I'll start off by dismissing Paul Smith from the selection process, which leaves us with Smith the younger and Oxley. Oxley looks more like what I expect a keeper to look like in terms of shape and size, and Smith doesn't. That shouldn't be a criteria for Oxley and both have made mistakes that we can do without at FL1 level. I assume that Smith will get better with experience and maybe Oxley has developed as far as he is going to. So what to do, who to choose?

I'd love to think that the Southend home crowd will give either of them time, love and patience to improve but I don't feel that that is likely unfortunately. So I'm going for the one that has most crowd love and that is Smith. I also think that this will only be necessary until the January window at which point, if I was Phil, I would move heaven and earth to get an experienced GK in to ease our problems.

What do you think people?