• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Got away with it

steveo

mine to stay the same please
1)When Macca got crunched it was plain to see he wasnt giving 100% and should have been replaced by the Moose.

2)Around about that tme we started hitting everything long which we are no good at.

3) Walker, when Sullivan was wasting time with the ball at his feet, you should go to him and make him pick it up without the crowd having to tell you. You are a pro footbaler, its your job to know what to do,

4) Revell - 1 cross, 1 pass 0 headers and 1 tackle. Whats the pointTilly?

5) Hoofing it does not help us. We are geared up to passing the ball. If we hoof it next Friday we will lose.

1)When Macca got crunched it was plain to see he wasnt giving 100% and should have been replaced by the Moose.

Macca not giving 100% your having a laugh. Gave everything last night as he always does for Southend.

I thought Macca was our best midfielder over the WHOLE game yesterday, Bailey was on an away day most of the 1st half whereas Macca was flying everywhere, challenging, tackling and generally getting stuck in. FWIW, I thought Revell did ok when he came on as well.

I thought Macca was back to his normal fiery self last night and certainly seemed psyched up for the game. He threw himself at everything which is the Macca we all want to see.
He did take a knock and struggled after for a short while but adreline is a wonderful pain relief.

See people have already made their mind up about Revell even though he has played 1 full game for us in his position. If Bailey had made his debut for Southend yesterday, you would have been slating him becuase he was s***e for 80 minutes

Revell's not had the best of starts with us, he was clearly playing through a lot of pain leading up to his op yet you wouldn't have guessed that when he was racing around like he did at Millwall. He's also frequently been played out of position, if we stick to our usual formation I'd like to see him start up front with Barney next Friday, let's have a tall frontman to lay off for Barney and see how that works.

Corrections:
Sorry I didnt mean Macca wast giving 100% I meant it looked like his injury didnt allow him to and at that stage I tohught it might have been worth a go with the Moose.

if we stick to our usual formation I'd like to see him start up front with Barney next Friday, let's have a tall frontman to lay off for Barney and see how that works.

You may well be right. The bloke might need to start the game and start it up front. The only problem with that, we might tend to hit even more long balls and it doesnt suit us.

think some of our long ball stuff last night came from the fact that donny had three central mid players thus clogging up our strongest area, people are saying bailey didnt play well- I think it a case of he wasnt allowed to by the opposition

think some of our long ball stuff last night came from the fact that donny had three central mid players thus clogging up our strongest area, people are saying bailey didnt play well- I think it a case of he wasnt allowed to by the opposition

Spot on I would say.

I would also suggest that it was because Francis never had an outlet for an easy pass on which to build an attack. If you think about the times where Francis played a long ball or turned in to trouble, almost every single one was after Black had gone off. I would imagine Grant would have come on were he still on the bench.

I can't quite work out why we would have Robson-Kanu, Revell and MacDonald on the bench. That looks much like a bench for 4-5-1 second leg starting formation rather than 4-4-2 one at home. Then again, I'm not sure what other options we have there.

Didn't understand why Hooper wasn't on the bench - nothing like knocking the lad's confidence further.

Yes...was a little confused by the lack of Hooper as an alternative. What that game was crying out for last night was, dare I say it, a big strong targetman who could have held the ball up for Barnard and/or Walker. I felt that both were a credit to the Club last night, but as good as they are, they were taking the Eastwood line of trying to create their own goals by taking it round a defence who had clearly come to RH with a gameplan of mimicking a massive brick wall for 90 minutes.

Last night shows, above all, that O'Driscoll had clearly done his homework, as key players like Bailey, Barney and even Gower at times were completey bullied out of the game. A very strong professional performance by them, but I am hoping that we can treble their away support tonight up at the Keepmoat and really create some vocal backing for the lads as it is going to be one hell of a task to win now.

Yes...was a little confused by the lack of Hooper as an alternative. What that game was crying out for last night was, dare I say it, a big strong targetman who could have held the ball up for Barnard and/or Walker. I felt that both were a credit to the Club last night, but as good as they are, they were taking the Eastwood line of trying to create their own goals by taking it round a defence who had clearly come to RH with a gameplan of mimicking a massive brick wall for 90 minutes.

Last night shows, above all, that O'Driscoll had clearly done his homework, as key players like Bailey, Barney and even Gower at times were completey bullied out of the game. A very strong professional performance by them, but I am hoping that we can treble their away support tonight up at the Keepmoat and really create some vocal backing for the lads as it is going to be one hell of a task to win now.

This is something that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else actually. O'Driscoll's tactics seemed to be close down Bailey, give McCormack a bit of a kicking and get your attackers in between centre backs and full backs forcing long balls to two short strikers. Probably how I would have played against us and given the relative amount of Southend football we've each seen, that seems quite astute.

That said, Tilson's tactics were pretty good as well. Price is a nightmate for defenders normally but Clarke was basically man-marking him and had obviously been told that he likes to back in to make space to control the ball and lay it off. Price never had this time and that interrupted their play.

Back