• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Halifax Town 0-0 Southend United

Just to add, I wouldn't judge us until we've played Chesterfield, Wrexham and Wealdstone. That will be a very tough run of games, how we perform and what points we get from them will show us how this season is going to go.

The end of September and 11 games in is when you can start to get a feel of how it will pan out. It seems to me that there has been a lot of evening out amongst teams over the summer with lots of teams fielding 5 or 6 new players. The clubs that have come up seem to be far stronger than Dover, Weymouth and Kings Lynn who were very poor. So I think there will be no easy games.

There‘s no guarantee that we will have any of Cardwell, Murphy or Hyde playing in those first 11 games, 1/4 of the season. So not scoring from the spot is criminal.

At the moment it’s difficult to tell what is a pattern and what is a one off result. Just remember a year ago when we drew 2-2 with Wrexham we thought we had it nailed.

If a league club looked at our squad when asking to loan a young prospect, they would see

Wreh, Powell, Mooney, Hyde, Murphy, Cardwell, Bridge.

They would think, 'When all of these players are fit, in possibly 1-2 month's time, will our young lad get game time?' And I bet all of our management aren't willing to do what Brown and other managers used to do and guarantee game time for deadwood (Coulthirst, Sterling etc)

If a league club looked at our squad when asking to loan a young prospect, they would see

Wreh, Powell, Mooney, Hyde, Murphy, Cardwell, Bridge.

They would think, 'When all of these players are fit, in possibly 1-2 month's time, will our young lad get game time?' And I bet all of our management aren't willing to do what Brown and other managers used to do and guarantee game time for deadwood (Coulthirst, Sterling etc)

Where has that come from?

Our management have turned down players due to parent clubs looking to include these types of things into the deal, but so have other managers in recent years.

I know, since the Tilson days at least, we have never taken anyone on with those sort of clauses in the deal, so that is a garbage statement.

I just hope these games we are just holding on through lack of personel dont end up dashing our playoff hopes come the end of the season.

We need some loans in asap imo.

Dear Christ.
Sorry, that wasn't particularly constructive. But even if we didn't have 8 players unavailable, including our 3 main strikers, I would have considered taking draws from long trips to Solihull and Halifax in the space of three days good results.

The three teams we have played so far will be up there. Yes, it's a shame we haven't nicked a win. But given our injury issues (Bridge was the only senior player on the bench tonight and we had two youth teamers playing a big chunk of the game), we've started as well as we could have expected.

Personally, I predicted 0 points from the first 3 games so we're up on my expectations.

Sorry, that wasn't particularly constructive. But even if we didn't have 8 players unavailable, including our 3 main strikers, I would have considered taking draws from long trips to Solihull and Halifax in the space of three days good results.

The three teams we have played so far will be up there. Yes, it's a shame we haven't nicked a win. But given our injury issues (Bridge was the only senior player on the bench tonight and we had two youth teamers playing a big chunk of the game), we've started as well as we could have expected.

Personally, I predicted 0 points from the first 3 games so we're up on my expectations.
Stop being rational. Its shrimperzone.

I'm gobsmacked that some are pleased with 2 points in 3 games at non league level. I know there's no need to panic as it's way too early in the season but you can't dress it up with context to say that is good! Every team will have injuries.

I'm gobsmacked that some are pleased with 2 points in 3 games at non league level. I know there's no need to panic as it's way too early in the season but you can't dress it up with context to say that is good! Every team will have injuries.
Not necessarily pleased, but considering our injury list its ok.

We could have lost all three.

Last edited:
Where has that come from?

Our management have turned down players due to parent clubs looking to include these types of things into the deal, but so have other managers in recent years.

I know, since the Tilson days at least, we have never taken anyone on with those sort of clauses in the deal, so that is a garbage statement.

My mistake if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that some of Brown's loanees had game time clauses? It's why they always started and played when they were just dreadfully out of form...

Two points from 9 isn't good enough.That's relegation form.
Negative : 2 points from 3 games = relegation form.
Positive : 2 decent draws away from home against potential playoff contenders = Good recovery from disappointing home defeat.
Arguable shortsighted opinion versus arguable rose tinted one ! The debate continues 😃

My mistake if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that some of Brown's loanees had game time clauses? It's why they always started and played when they were just dreadfully out of form...

100% wrong.

He signed some dross on loan at times, but none of them had clauses in to guarantee game time or anything of the kind.

This attitude that we're only non-league temporarily is going to have to change.

Bury, Blackpool and Preston were regular FA Cup and League winners. Those days are gone, like our Football League days are gone. Football is cruel and particularly cruel to those with bad owners. Most teams who come down to this level only bounce back because they shake off their bad owners. We won't be doing that any time soon.

We are non-league now and we will be non-league for the foreseeable future. We will tell our kids stories about our football league days, but they have gone.

We have to accept where we are and given the embargoes, financial issues (accounts two years overdue now), we will be here to stay. Stockport were down here 10 years and only got out when they were taken over by multi millionnaires. Wrexham have millions of pounds in sponsorship due to their big time owners and they have had a relatively indifferent start and failed to get up last year. 15 years for them, a bigger club than us.

We're non-league. We could well be non-league for decades. Those old days where we used to play in the Football League are memories unless we get a new owner.

In the meantime, we have to enjoy the wins when they come, enjoy the odd flirt with the playoffs and hope to build a team to be proud of. We're on our way to that.

I don't think the pitch helped either team - the ball seemed to "stick" & bobble at times.

I was disappointed not to go in at half time in the lead. The moment of real class all game was Ralph skipping into the box & getting fouled but there were other occasions when we more or less camped around their box. True, there was no real cutting edge but we were the better team.

But overall, it was a game of two halves. After the break Halifax closed us down, passed the ball with speed and suddenly our 3-4-3 became a 5-4-1. That was a long 30 to 35 minutes until they ran out of steam.

In truth I think both set of defences were better than the strikers on show.

Pleased with our defensive show in that game. Looked solid.

Man of the match: Ralph

We've gone to two teams that got into the playoffs and only conceded one goal! There were a number of fans on here saying how awful our defense is and how inept we look at the back. Well that looks rather solid to me. That's one huge positive!

Yes, of course we need to improve up top. I don't think anyone thinks contrary to that. However, what do we expect right now? We had a 16/17 year old striker on the bench and a striker playing 2 leagues below up front. Are we seriously expecting better right now?

Yes it is totally needed to get a player in but the reality is, we have 3 senior strikers on the books that are all injured. We are still paying them, two of which I would gauge handsomely. We don't have unlimited funds and it's not as easy as we'd like. Therefore, I think we are doing well under the circumstances.

A game of two half's!
We started as we finished at Soli, and then finished as we started at Soli!
The pitch has had a bit of Rugby played on it, it also seemed very sticky and the ball didn't seem to roll well, light rain didn't do it much good and it wasn't watered pre game or half time.
Poor crowd of under 2k, good turn out of Shrimpers.
Yellow strip is a good one, especially under lights.
Main, new stand at Shay is good enough to grace any club in L1 or L2, ends are good standing terraces.
Now the footie, 1st half we passed and moved, closed down, won every 50 50, intercepted and were worthy of the pen won by smart tricky run into box by Ralph. Powell stepped up, not a great shot, keeper put it around post. Halifax fan told me that is the first pen he has saved in 3 seasons!
After pen we were still on top but no finish and too tip tap and pass rather than shoot and take a swing.
2nd half they changed formation, crowded centre, focused on flanks, we failed to react and lost our way with a big gap and no support for Powell and Wreh.
Fonguck drifted out of game, replaced correctly, Mooney obviously tired and injured, replaced with Coker, Bridge.
Bridge frustrates the hell out of me, defends and tackles like Mantom ( doesn't) and needs to work harder, he can do good things BUT not often enough.
We could easily have lost tonight but in truth back 3 are solid and Steve is good bar the first half aberration of silly kick out.
We are short of 6 or 7 probable starters, others are playing less that fully fit.
No need to panic buy.
If we had Murphy, Cards or Hyde we would have had 3 points tonight.
Finally ref was okay, not 100% but fair and balanced.

I don't think the pitch helped either team - the ball seemed to "stick" & bobble at times.

I was disappointed not to go in at half time in the lead. The moment of real class all game was Ralph skipping into the box & getting fouled but there were other occasions when we more or less camped around their box. True, there was no real cutting edge but we were the better team.

But overall, it was a game of two halves. After the break Halifax closed us down, passed the ball with speed and suddenly our 3-4-3 became a 5-4-1. That was a long 30 to 35 minutes until they ran out of steam.

In truth I think both set of defences were better than the strikers on show.

Pleased with our defensive show in that game. Looked solid.

Man of the match: Ralph
Kensdale deserves praise for his handling of Dieseruvwe. There can't be many tougher individual strikers to come up against in this league.

Back