• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hard or Soft Brexit?

What should happen?

• Hard Brexit

Votes: 31 46.3%
  • Soft Brexit

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Another referendum on the terms of the Brexit deal

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Forget it all and remain

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Bart

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
If we go to to WTO terms, I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that Lloyds would still have access to the same markets just under different terms?

It is my understanding, though Lloyds bulletins, that without the single market terms we have now Lloyds syndicates would not be competitive and to write European business in the UK would not make business sense.

For some reason the title of this thread reminded me of this:

[video=youtube;EiNeRHZMGH0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiNeRHZMGH0[/video]

Brexit is happening so why don't Lloyds begin making tracks for the exit door then ?

Im not arguing with you I'm merely pointing out those firms shouting from the rooftops should be judged on their final action and not on their bleating.

I am pretty sure most syndicates do have contingency plans. Why would you jump before you know the exit terms though? The ideal scenario is to carry on as usual.

I don't know enough about the banking situation to comment (unlike some) about whether that threat was ever genuine? I am confident this is not an idle threat though, Lloyds have made their position clear and if the government want a hard Brexit then they are fully aware of the consequences.

Lloyds "names" are always unhappy when they are losing,when the dividends are cushty they are happy as Larry.

Remember when big banks all threatened to leave,they still remain simply because London has the correct timezone worldwide.

If Lloyds leave then I'm certain another company will eagerly take their place,their warnings are their way of demanding better deals from the Government as possibly better Corp tax.

At what point did he say Simon Beale was a Lloyds name??? and since when has Lloyds of London been a "big bank" or a "bank" at all.

At least you are consistently clueless!!

:thumbdown:

At what point did he say Simon Beale was a Lloyds name??? and since when has Lloyds of London been a "big bank" or a "bank" at all.

At least you are consistently clueless!!

:thumbdown:

Excellent repost !,well thought out and of course gave do much to this topic,thanks .

Oh by the way I never said they were a bank.

Oh by the way I never said Mr Beale was a "name"!

You must try harder bloke.

Lloyds "names" are always unhappy when they are losing,when the dividends are cushty they are happy as Larry.

Remember when big banks all threatened to leave,they still remain simply because London has the correct timezone worldwide.

If Lloyds leave then I'm certain another company will eagerly take their place,their warnings are their way of demanding better deals from the Government as possibly better Corp tax.

You are utterly clueless.

You don't even seem to know what Lloyd's is.

Yes of course everyone who voted leave are all dimwits who havnt a scooby about anything .

Get over yourself bloke and stop looking down your nose at people who never voted as you did.

Well you're certainly giving that impression. Callan must be embarassed to be on the same side as you.

Brexit is happening so why don't Lloyds begin making tracks for the exit door then ?

Im not arguing with you I'm merely pointing out those firms shouting from the rooftops should be judged on their final action and not on their bleating.

Lloyd's are making tracks for the exit door. It's not their first choice (which is passporting) but contingency plans are being drawn up. Hopefully it doesn't come for that as that would be seriously bad news for jobs in Essex.

If we go to to WTO terms, I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that Lloyds would still have access to the same markets just under different terms?

Lloyd's would not have access under WTO. WTO covers goods but not services.

Well you're certainly giving that impression. Callan must be embarassed to be on the same side as you.

Lloyd's are making tracks for the exit door. It's not their first choice (which is passporting) but contingency plans are being drawn up. Hopefully it doesn't come for that as that would be seriously bad news for jobs in Essex.

You know what, you are one jumped up fool,you think your sooooo smart,your the embarrassment dear old Yorky.

Really?...when did they stop covering services?....I know under GATT was mostly goods but always thought GATS gave coverage to services?...I haven't been involved in trade much for a few years so must be out of touch these days.

Regards Mrs B, are you opening up a transfer bid in the hope I will swap her for Barna?

That is evident! She has obviously done a quick google and found something she thought would make it look like she has knowledge on the subject. She picked out "names" which really has no relevance whatsoever as "names" are responsible for the tiniest fraction of Lloyds business and their numbers are continuously diminishing. There is no shame in not knowing how Lloyds works, I wouldn't if I didn't work for a syndicate, but why pretend? When you get found out you look rather silly

Simply:

1) Leave "on the following terms now we understand them"
2) Remain part of the EU

It won't be true for everyone, but for most people this isn't a divorce (**** you Europe, you cheated on me, I'm taking the kids and never want to see you again), it's about getting the best deal for the UK.

Er, no.

Since the people have already decided about your option 2, I think you mean:

2) Negotiate a different set of terms for Exit

Really?...when did they stop covering services?....I know under GATT was mostly goods but always thought GATS gave coverage to services?...I haven't been involved in trade much for a few years so must be out of touch these days.

Regards Mrs B, are you opening up a transfer bid in the hope I will swap her for Barna?

Apologies was in a rush and missed out "such". My understanding is that goods are much more comprehensively covered than services and there's some sort of prudential carve out, but I'm far from an expert on it.

Re Mrs B that sounds like some sort of mutual destruction pact.

Gremlin said:
Er, no.

Since the people have already decided about your option 2, I think you mean:

2) Negotiate a different set of terms for Exit

No, I don't mean that at all.

Even when you put aside the 51-49 result that was based on **** politics, unchecked facts and outright lies from both remain and leave campaigns, and the way we literally blundered our way to a conclusion as a Nation, the idea that we leave no matter what the terms are is a nonsense.

As for 'the people have already decided'... I understand why passionate leave voters will cling resolutely to the fact that 51 is a higher number than 49 but it's clearly no mandate at all. When opinion is obviously so split and so many have already bemoaned/questioned their original vote, the terms of Brexit will have a massive sway on people's thinking about what happens now.

If the 'will of the people' is TRULY the driving force behind what this is about, why should ANY voters be scared about a certifying referendum when the people of the country are now more informed about the issues and even more informed about what the specific next steps might be?

The question is whether it's really about the will of the people or the fact that 51% got you the result you personally felt strongly about.

Depends on what is meant by 'hard' and 'soft' Brexit (oo err). If it's a choice between keeping access to the single market but having to accept freedom of movement, or leaving the single market but being able to control immigration from the EU, then I would prefer the latter, as I imagine most Leave voters would. Otherwise, what was the point of leaving? The Eurozone is becoming an increasingly less important market on the world stage and leaving the EU gives us the opportunity to increase our trade with growing economies in the rest of the world.

But please not another referendum.

No, I don't mean that at all.

Even when you put aside the 51-49 result that was based on **** politics, unchecked facts and outright lies from both remain and leave campaigns, and the way we literally blundered our way to a conclusion as a Nation, the idea that we leave no matter what the terms are is a nonsense.

As for 'the people have already decided'... I understand why passionate leave voters will cling resolutely to the fact that 51 is a higher number than 49 but it's clearly no mandate at all. When opinion is obviously so split and so many have already bemoaned/questioned their original vote, the terms of Brexit will have a massive sway on people's thinking about what happens now.

If the 'will of the people' is TRULY the driving force behind what this is about, why should ANY voters be scared about a certifying referendum when the people of the country are now more informed about the issues and even more informed about what the specific next steps might be?

The question is whether it's really about the will of the people or the fact that 51% got you the result you personally felt strongly about.

Hate to be picky but it was actually 52-48.

Back