• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
As I am sure many of you are already aware a group of Southend fans' will be taking part in a sponsored walk to the away fixture against Oxford.Please take time to read the following and lend your support to this very worthwhile cause.

My name is Bob Mays; I am aged 55 years, married and have been a supporter of Southend United since I was 11 years old and a season ticket holder for as many years as I can remember. I am a former serviceman and retired police officer.

Together with my friends and fellow supporters of Southend United, we have united in a commitment to organise and participate in a 100 mile walk to raise money for Help for Heroes which provides aid to the many hundreds of servicemen and women that return home with crippling injuries, some requiring a life time of care. The sacrifices our servicemen and women suffer deserve the highest levels of gratitude from all of us.

The team and I depart Roots Hall with the match ball at 8am on Wednesday 25[SUP]th[/SUP] April 2012 and walk through Essex, London and into Oxford where we will deliver the match ball to the Referee for our fixture on Saturday 28[SUP]th[/SUP] April 2012. The distance is over 100 miles and will take 3 and half days to complete.

As a result of the conflict involving our armed forces, we have suffered 404 deaths in Afghanistan of which 359 were killed as a result of hostile action. A total in excess of 1874 MOD UK servicemen, servicewomen and civilians have been wounded in action. From these 549 are classified Seriously Injured and 269 Very Seriously Injured. Over the last 3 years the number of serviceman amputees has risen to 185. As the conflict continues so the injury rate will increase.

My friends and I hope we can help to make a difference which brings me to the reason I have wrote to you personally. I have set a target of raising Five Thousand Pounds and request your support in advertising this event the poster I have attached. This event is registered with Help for Heroes and any donations can be placed through the following link: www.bmycharity.com/bobmays.

I thank you in advance for any support you are able to offer to achieve our objectives.

On the day of our departure, the Mayor of Southend is handing me the match ball and saying a few words.
Accommodation is all sorted. Oxford United and their Supporters Trust Oxvox are right behind us. Ron Martin and Geoffrey King have proved outstanding in their support.

I am collecting money at the turnstiles for the home Barnet game on the 20th April and have invited a couple of Chelsea Pensioners. I am collecting them and returning them back to Chelsea Hospital after the game. I have Army Cadets collecting the money in Help for Heroes buckets. I am trying to get some Regular soldiers to attend, this is proving difficult due to their many commitments across the world now.

If I can, then the Barnet game will be advertised as a Help for Heroes theme night, so fingers crossed. I
will seek permission anyway for our Chelsea Pensioners to walk the match ball to the referee. It's proving a time consuming challenge as most of the walkers are now walking regularly over 10 miles a day with longer ones at the weekends with the only rest days being match days.

I would love for as many Southend fans to see us off on the 25th and to be there to meet us on the 28th. I am organising some Oxford Fans to meet us too, there will be a collection there too. This event has been mentioned on the Travel Zone page of the Zone but in my opinion not ideal to attract the best publicity to get the fans talking and promoting this event to raise as much money as possible for this cause.I have therefore asked the Owners of the Zone if they would kindly "push" this to the main page of the forums and this they have agreed to.

Your support in helping this event would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Bob Mays

Please do all you can to support this.

Well done Bob,when the wife shifts some stock on ebay i will make a pledge,good luck,does that runt of a son of yours still talk the hind legs off a donkey?

Superb charity going to have to dig deep into my deep pockets by the way did mr dashfield put a wig on for that photo:winking:

Good Luck to my Dad and the rest of the team wishing you the best of luck. I have uploaded the poster to facebook and to twitter and hope to get as many more supporters behind you all as possible.

Best of luck

If you need the army to collect money PM me as I have some very good contacts in the army to collect money if the club could give them free tickets for that game

Just an update for you re progress we have made. With the support my walking team and the many donations we have received has resulted in us blowing our Five Thousand Pound target out of the window. In fact, with donations still arriving by the day we could double this amount. Training has been extremely arduous, walking a minimum of 10-15 miles per day with 25's on a weekend has resulted in the team ready and prepared for this challenge. For your interest should you find yourselves in a position to come and give us a cheer and support us, an example of our itinerary to assist you is as follows:

Wednesday 25th April - Depart Roots Hall Stadium, Southend at 8am and then proceed along the A127 and through Hornchurch-Dagenham and Barking
Wednesday 25th April - Arrive Formula 1 Inn at Barking on the A406 1900 hours (7pm)
Thursday 26th April - Depart Formula 1 Inn at 0745 hours.
Thursday 26th April - Arrive Tower of London for Photo opportunity within Tower with Yeoman Warders - 1100 hours
Thursday 26th April - Arrive Wellington Barracks to meet soldiers via Birdcage Walk - 1330 hours
Thursday 26th April - Depart Wellington Barracks at 1415 hours
We then proceed to Uxbridge for an overnight stop in a TA Centre and then on the last main walking day walk along the A40 towards Wheatley in Oxfordshire. I expect that we will arrive at Kassam Stadium in Oxford by 1.30pm on Saturday 28[SUP]th[/SUP] April 2012.

Day 1 Mileage - 29 Miles
Day 2 Mileage - 30 Miles
Day 3 Mileage - 36 Miles
Day 4 Mileage - 6 Miles

Message received from OxVox today as follows:

“we will raise the profile this end starting this weekend. We will do this on our website, www.oxvox.org.uk and if u could promote our support by posting the link on your fans forums sites it might add a bit of unity between both sets of fans.

We will also promote it on our three fans forum pages, our trust forum, the main yellowsboard forum and rageonline. Three heavy forum sites.

Then we will get our local media aware so they can fill next weeks paper and radio slot up....possibly. Will keep you informed.”

Can you please spread the word re the unity of fans as requested above. By the way we raised an additional £648 on the collection Friday Night.

Please donate to this wonderful cause via the Help for Heroes website opened for me. Details are: www.bmycharity.com/bobmays. There will also be collection buckets at Roots hall, Barking, Tower Hill, Wellington Barracks and Kassam Stadium.

I will let you know the final amount raised.

Kind Regards

Bob

If anyone is mad enough, I am meeting up with them on Thursday to walk from the Tower to the Wellington Barracks to collect on route.

Good luck guys and of course Sam.
See you at the game Saturday

As the guys (and Sam) prepare for their walk to begin tomorrow, I just want to say good luck to you all. I think everyone connected with the club that knows about this is full of admiration for you. See you at Oxford!

The guys and girl are in the Hornchurch area another 7 miles to do today ! well doneone and all, lets hope for a little drier weather tomorrow please :happy:

What a shame that our OS, unlike Oxford's, has not written anything today in support of the walkers and the excellent cause for which they are collecting.
Perhaps an 8 o'clock start was a little to early for lardy a***e Scriven to get to the ground to take some pictures and write a short piece on the OS!!.:thumbdown:

From what I heard Scriv has not been seen in a great light with the coverage he has given. For example the programme coverage was not as early as could have been. Flyers were also chucked everywhere when they should have been in programmes. Against this Ron Martin has been greatly supportive of them from the start so not all bad vibes from the club.

Nervetheless we should all support this great cause by some truly dedicated supporters of our club.

See you all at Oxford!!

Back