• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good luck to me dad and the rest of you, unfortunately u all got rather wet yesterday I hope this doesn't affect the walk to much.

Everyone is behind u all

Any news on their progress? I am hoping to join them for a short while in the morning, as they should be very close to my house at about 11am.

We are in Uxbridge tonight and currently eating dinner after arriving just after 8.00. We are leaving Uxbridge at 8.00am and hope to be in Oxford before nightfall. However we are definitely getting slower!! No real injuries yet but lots of very sore legs and blistered feet! Thank you to everybody for their fantastic support including the team who we met on Tuesday morning. Look forward to seeing lots of you at Oxford.

Vodka Blue here,

Met up with the guys and Sam yesterday at the Tower of London, they were very wet and cold as it hadn't stopped raining since they had left Barking. Walked with them to Wellington Barracks where they went in to have lunch.The weather playing a great part in injuries, cold and wet and walking not good but they are in good spirts and hopefully the weather will be a little kinder to them today. Keep it up lads, see you Saturday :Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

It was great to see the blues mini bus inside the barracks - complete with socks being dried on the dash :smile:

Spoke to the old man this was in good spirits and all seem rather pleased with how its going. Already exceeded the 5k target what a GREAT EFFORT.

The oldman was interviewed on bbc essex this morning at 0850 and he will be again tomorrow at 0840 for those wishing to tune in

54923633104221527581034.jpg

Wino and Del just off now for a well earnt kip after rightly rewarding themselves with a glass or two of Speckled Hen barefoot in the bar!

A big hats off to them and all the other guy's and girl. After what you have all been through, Saturday should be a walk in the park.

Look forward to seeing you all at Oxford.

WHAT A GREAT EFFORT BY U ALL!!! Seeing everyone flood back in was quite emotional but amazing to see the support they received from not only all us shrimpers but the oxford fans and passers by.

Absoloutly outstanding ovation for them yesterday and well deserved to

Great to see our gallant walkers arrive at the Kassam stadium at the end of their treck yesterday. Congratulations to each and every one of you.

Many thanks to all the 'red bucket' collectors from the TZ coaches yesterday. It looked like our efforts were being well rewarded with generosity around the car parks, Proiry pub, and beer tent.

A big well done to you all.

Last edited:
Smurf here,

Just want to say a big big thank you to all the Shrimpers who met us at the roundabout to cheer us in with a rousing chorus of BLUE ARMY, it made every rain soaked mile worth it,your support and messages helped us all through some very hard and difficult days on the road,thanks to all those that helped with the bucket collections and thanks to all those who so generously donated to help us smash our target of 5k,the last 3 and a half days have been among the best in my life so far,(although I don't think my feet would agree) spent with the best of friends you could ever wish for,and memories that will last a lifetime,from being chased down the A127 by an old lady who had heard about us on the radio just so she could give us a tenner,to being served coffee and sandwiches by a Lieutenant Colonel in the Officers Mess at Wellington Barracks chatting to some of the brave guardsman who have served or are waiting to serve in Afghan and Iraq,meeting Southbucks Shrimper who had taken time off from work to meet us and arrange for a coffee stop at his squash club and his wife who brought us some doughnuts to keep us going your a star fella and thank you,but the one that will live with me the most was when we walked across the car park just before KO and was greeted by a standing ovation by the bank of shrimpers in the ground,you are all truly wonderful and thank you again,whatever else happens next week or in the future we are Southend United and nothing will ever take that away from us. UTB

Well done Smurf, everyone who knows any of you is right dead chuffed about the effort you all put in. God knows how you were all still standing last night, I'd have been off home for a bath and bed!

Last edited:
Smurf here,

Just want to say a big big thank you to all the Shrimpers who met us at the roundabout to cheer us in with a rousing chorus of BLUE ARMY, it made every rain soaked mile worth it,your support and messages helped us all through some very hard and difficult days on the road,thanks to all those that helped with the bucket collections and thanks to all those who so generously donated to help us smash our target of 5k,the last 3 and a half days have been among the best in my life so far,(although I don't think my feet would agree) spent with the best of friends you could ever wish for,and memories that will last a lifetime,from being chased down the A127 by an old lady who had heard about us on the radio just so she could give us a tenner,to being served coffee and sandwiches by a Lieutenant Colonel in the Officers Mess at Wellington Barracks chatting to some of the brave guardsman who have served or are waiting to serve in Afghan and Iraq,meeting Southbucks Shrimper who had taken time off from work to meet us and arrange for a coffee stop at his squash club and his wife who brought us some doughnuts to keep us going your a star fella and thank you,but the one that will live with me the most was when we walked across the car park just before KO and was greeted by a standing ovation by the bank of shrimpers in the ground,you are all truly wonderful and thank you again,whatever else happens next week or in the future we are Southend United and nothing will ever take that away from us. UTB

Great acheivement and a massive well done. Sounds like you a amazing time for such a good cause. Seriously fair play to you all, the weather must have been a real nightmare and make your challenge more mental than physical. Well done.

May I add my congratulations to all of the walkers and helpers. It was great to see the fourth Oxford side missing so that we could all applaud the Lads and Lasses around the ground before kick off. Also great that they told the match ball which net to go into during the game.

Well done all for a very worthy cause.

On Wednesday 25[SUP]th[/SUP] April 2012, Nine (9) Southend United Season Ticket Holders and life long fans left Roots Hall at 8am in possession of a match ball to be delivered to Oxford United. They were to walk to Oxford, a distance of some 120 miles. Cheered on by Mr Ron Martin, Mr Geoffrey King, the Mayor of Southend and friends and family. These fans were Organiser Bob Mays, and friends Paul Redding, Paul Marshall, Simon Mayes,Neil Dashford, Trevor Bashford, Sam Wilson, Derek Reeves and his son Joe Reeves. Their aim was to raise money for Help for Heroes.

In the safety Bus supplied by Southend United was Julie Marshall and Irene Bashford.

On Day 1 we walked to the Formula 1 Hotel in Barking, a distance of some 33 miles. During our walk a local Southend resident had heard of our walk and drove in search of us and found us as we sought refreshments at the Mayflower Retail Park and handed us a £10 note and cheered our efforts. On route we also took refuge from the weather and were treated to a hot drink by the staff at Alton Garden Centre who also had a whip round and donated us money.

Day 1 rained relentlessly and more rain fell on his day than the whole of April. Needless to say, many started to suffer blisters due to the conditions. We arrived at 8pm. After drying out we ate at Nando’s in Barking.

Would Day 2 be even better? We left Barking at 8am, the weather was dry, and by the time we walked 200 yards, rain fell with a vengeance, the trees bent over under severe wind pressure. We had to walk with our heads down. All we could do was laugh hysterically. We suffered high winds and heavy rainfall all the way to the Tower Hill where we had photographs taken with the Yeoman Warders (Beefeaters) organised by Jimmy James. We then made our way along the embankment towards Wellington Barracks off Birdcage Walk by the Mall. We were met by Lieutenant Colonel Tim Jalland, we were invited into the Officer’s Mess where we met members of Nijmegen Company, such young men who had already seen active service in Afghanistan. A most uplifting and humble experience for us all. We were served refreshments, had photographs taken and then to the astonishment of the local tourists were given a guard of honour and applauded as we left the Barracks. Each and every one of us agreed that this was an experience never to be forgotten.

We then made our way to Uxbridge, the weather improved slightly with occasional showers. Incredibly fans of Southend had made the journey from Southend to greet us on our arrival at Uxbridge. This was a major morale boosting occasion. We arrived at 47 (Middlesex Yeomanry) Sig Squadron 71[SUP]st[/SUP] (City of London) Yeomanry Signal Regiment again, at about 8pm where we were met by SQMS Gary Cheshire. Gary had arranged refreshments and warm accommodation for an overnight stay. We had walked some 35 miles this day. It was clear that some walkers were under considerable pain and suffering from feet that had blistered so much they were beginning to bleed such was the rawness of their skin. After treatment, a hot shower and meal, we all slept soundly.

What did Day 3 have in store for us? Yes, more rain. Heavy and continuous downpours, the longest walk of the three days too, some 36 miles. It was cold too. Incredibly morale was high, we all realised we were nearly at an end of our journey. This walk was to be the toughest of all, storms, heavy rain, cold and undulating hills without pavements with water gushing under our feet. Again, as we left West Wycombe, fans of Southend had been searching for us and to our delight invited us in for hot refreshments when most needed. The hardest part of this walk was the stopping to change socks and shoes as bodies were beginning to stiffen up and lose body temperature. Many of the walkers were now suffering from feet damage, many were bleeding. Exhaustion was creeping in. We had to be very aware that weather conditions were so bad that Hypothermia was now a high risk. Bob Mays had been in regular contact with BBC Essex and was monitoring the level of donations being received; face book, text, twitter and Fans websites were proving an inspiration to us all. We finally arrived at Wheatley Hotel at 7.30pm, walkers collapsed in a mixture of exhaustion and elation and broke down in tears, and such was the emotion that we had almost completed such a gruelling journey. Some were so exhausted that they could not even summon the energy to go for a meal.

Day 4 arrived, spirits were bouncing, and we had 6 miles to walk. We were joined by Maurice and Terry, members of Oxvox Supporters Trust who walked with us for the final journey. As we approached Kassam Stadium, to see the amount of fans on the pavement to greet us shouting Blue Army was brilliant. We were walked to the Priory PH Marquee where we were applauded by all the Oxford and Southend fans together.

Bob Mays and Joe Reeves were voted by the team to convey the Help for Heroes Flag onto the pitch and hand the match ball to the referee. They described such a feeling of delight as they walked to the Southend fans that stood up and applauded them.

Our journey now over in conditions not seen for over a hundred years for the month of April and with temperature’s that averaged 6 degrees.

Our initials target to raise five Thousand Pounds has been now reviewed and is expected that this will exceed Twelve Thousand Pounds.

Bob Mays also discovered that our challenge had been followed by Soldiers serving in Afghanistan and donations had been received.

Thank You for all the support, in particular the Chairman of Southend United Mr Ron Martin.

Support for this charity can receive donations at www.bmycharity.com/bobmays.

Hi Bob and team. Well done for such a fantastic achievement. I am a serving soldier and Southend fan, and work in Wellington Barracks. But I must be living with my eyes shut as I wasn’t aware of your event! I am really sorry that I wasn’t there to greet you when you arrived at the Barracks and would have loved to have been able to walk some of the route with you. I am absolutely gutted.You should be very proud of your accomplishment and on behalf of every serviceman still serving or pensioned out of the services through injury, I thank you for your brilliant efforts. Due to work commitments I don’t get to as many games as I would like, however I will be at Roots Hall with my son of Saturday to cheer on the Blues against Macclesfield. A big well done.RegardsDarren (WO2, Royal Signals)

Hi Bob and team. Well done for such a fantastic achievement. I am a serving soldier and Southend fan, and work in Wellington Barracks. But I must be living with my eyes shut as I wasn’t aware of your event! I am really sorry that I wasn’t there to greet you when you arrived at the Barracks and would have loved to have been able to walk some of the route with you. I am absolutely gutted.You should be very proud of your accomplishment and on behalf of every serviceman still serving or pensioned out of the services through injury, I thank you for your brilliant efforts. Due to work commitments I don’t get to as many games as I would like, however I will be at Roots Hall with my son of Saturday to cheer on the Blues against Macclesfield. A big well done.RegardsDarren (WO2, Royal Signals)
If you want to meet any of them I'm sure that can easily be arranged.....welcome to the Zone btw!

Back