• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question How many of you strictly support Southend United?

Do you strictly support Southend United as your only team?

• Yes, I only follow Southend

• I support two or more teams

Results are only viewable after voting.
I must say, I had flirtations with Man Citeh when they were ****e and Oasis were mad for it but it didn't last thank god. Imagine how boring it must be supporting a club that wins things every season.
Think I could get used to it.

Southend fan only.

My old man was West Ham being from East London, so had a few hammers shirts growing up. As soon as I was old enough (13) me dad bought me a kids season ticket for £40 and told Me to support my local team. Drop me off at the gates at Shakespeare drive at 2:45pm and back outside after KO.

Good man despite being a West ham fan. Tbh, I don’t get the hate for them, most supported their local side and moved down towards the seaside...and as normal their kids follow suit.

Southend is the only team for me

I must to admit to being partial to watching Klopp’s Liverpool, for pure entertainment though.

Only support Southend.

If only I had a quid every time I was asked who I supported, said Southend and got “yeah but who’s your proper team?” or “do you support a proper team though or just Southend?”

:Facepalm:

Southend only, there's a few others I like to see do well, but it's always been my beloved Blues.

Southend the only team for me since first going along with my Dad in the mid-sixties. I nagged and nagged my parents to let me go with Dad and they thought that, if I went once, I wouldn't enjoy it and not want to go again - how wrong, been going ever since ! Like Floval Flyer I do enjoy Liverpool's football but the only time I have watched them live was at Roots Hall on that famous snowy evening.

Growing up, I supported Southend first but also Fulham and West Ham due to family connections. Over the years I find that I now have little interest in anyone other than Southend and frequently say I'm a Southend fan more than a football fan.

Football is corrupt from FIFA at the top, all the way down to the local team's U6's where the kids birth certificates are needed to stop the managers cheating and playing over age players.

I love the game and hate the sport.

Only ever one club for me, when it’s in your blood there’s nothing you can do about it. My father was a life-long supporter and he could remember some of the first games he attended as a boy at the Kursaal ground, having been taken regularly by his uncle. I was taken to my first game at Grainger Road as a four-year-old but, although I have a vague recollection of the surroundings, I don’t remember anything about the game, who we were playing etc. and I think I became bored and started running around so we left before the end of the match. The following year the club moved to Roots Hall and by 1956 I had enough attention span to behave myself throughout a whole match and was taken to all home games. So that’s how I became infected and I know it is something I will have to endure for the rest of my life.

I went to my first Southend game at the age of 8, in 1968. We won 4-0. That makes an impression on a kid. But our best family friends were Spurs fans (well dad and three kids were) so we had the three or four trips a season to White Hart Lane so I also grew up watching Jennings, England, Knowles, Perryman, Gilzean, Greaves and later, Chivers. What a football education that was! I still watch out for Spurs results but those two trips to White Hart Lane a few seasons back, there was only one result I wanted (and did not get).

I have lived in Exeter and Bristol, but had no inclination to go and watch either of the City's or Rovers, unless they were playing us. ..

So, Blues, top of my league of two... And it has been great to get back for the Scunthorpe match last season, the Rovers game at the end of the season, and the Doncaster and Peterborough games this season. Just sorry my recent record isn't great!!!!

Southend supporter for 53 years. Follow football in general but never had a soft spot for any other team. Only one team for me.

My dad’s was brought up 10 minutes north of White Hart Lane and my mum 10 minutes south of it. I grew up in Basildon, so spent Friday nights at Roots Hall and Saturdays at White Hart Lane. Not much of a problem until a pre-season friendly in the 70s when Andy Polycarpou played for Southend (debut I think) and Micky Hazard made his debut for Spurs. All my family stood on the South Bank not knowing what to do or who to cheer for. In the late 80s I went to uni in Durham. I’d been there less than an hour when a local heard my accent so promised to beat the crap out of me. Obviously I said Southend. He then said if I didn’t give a real answer I was for it. Arsehole. My last Southend spurs problem was Swindon at home in 1990. I sat with boss behind the Directors Box and three rows behind an all time hero of my Glenn Hoddle. Of course we were ace - Brett Angle hammered a volley from 20 yards (lay off from Andy Ansah from Tilson cross) and I was all Hoddle you banker got a effing load of that.

Taken to Roots hall at a young age in the 70's.
Been there ever since. Don't know any different. Seaso for many years and had all the "who do you really support" Yawn!
Plus side can watch Prem and Champions league with no stress

Southend United for me, all the way.

But do have a soft spot for Portsmouth, like to see how they are getting on, so long as it is below us. Strange.

Gotta love those Portsmouth awaydays..

60 years a died hard Shrimper, some would say I smell like seafood too! Only 2 of us in this love affair. COYBB

I was born within shooting distance of White Hart Lane and with my family connection to Spurs have been to see them on many occasions over the years including the 1981 Cup Final. I still follow Spurs and endeavour to get to 2-3 games a season.

Now for the reality check. I moved down to this part of the Essex Riviera aged 18 months. When I was old enough, I regularly used to trek down on my own by bus to Roots Hall (1970's) on wet and windy nights to see the likes of Wigan, Bournemouth and Swansea in the old division 4. Whatever happened to them? Just by catching a glimpse of the floodlights on my way to the stadium was enough to spark a huge debate in my mind, Who was starting, what was the score going to be and who would be the goal scorers? etc, etc. Standing in the middle of the North Bank, creating as much noise as possible, win lose or draw, I knew that I had watched a competitive game of football, with no feigning injury, no crying and genuine challenges. Those days were unforgettable and the start of a great love affair with the mighty Blues. I am a current season card holder and get that same buzz to this day.

On one occasion, however, we were just above the Div 4 relegation zone and I remember standing in a sparsely filled stadium losing to team like Halifax or Southport and thinking, 'what the **** am I doing here?' But it's those days that put the great days into perspective. i.e promotions, Man Utd, the Millennium Stadium and Wembley appearances. Over the years I have experienced varying levels of expectation, hope, depression and exhilaration whilst following my team. I'll also admit, on occasions, commitment has suffered, but one thing that never wanes is the love for my team.

With regard to this thread, two games I particularly remember are League Cup games we played against Spurs. The first when we were narrowly knocked out at Roots One when Gascoigne and Lineker played, and the more recent 1/4 final at WHL in 2007. We lost to a late goal by Defoe and, sitting in the away end, I was absolutely gutted.

There is only one team for me. COYB

Only support Southend.

If only I had a quid every time I was asked who I supported, said Southend and got “yeah but who’s your proper team?” or “do you support a proper team though or just Southend?”

:Facepalm:
I love getting that question, I ALWAYS end up making them realise that actually I’m the lucky one. I actually get to watch my team every other week, I feel that my vocal support makes a difference, I feel “ privileged “ that I am part of a small group, my seat is yards from the pitch, I have access to the chairman ( and chief exec when we had one), if I want it (as we all do). I am 20 mins from the ground not hours away and every now and then ( I wish it were more often) we get to watch something truely Brillant. And of course I throw in we beat manure with Rooney and ronaldo. If all else fails bore them into submission ?

Last edited:
All this talk about being asked who your "real team" is surprises me as I didn't think it'd be an issue in England. Here in Australia the conversation usually goes along these lines.

Do you follow soccer? (Usually when wearing a Southend jacket or shirt)

Yes.

What team do you follow?

Southend United

Who?

Southend United, in English League One

Ummm, never heard of them.

Who do you follow?

Insert Liverpool/Chelsea/Man Utd/City or Real Madrid here

I make some comment about how their team is going and they stare blankly at me and the conversation ends.

One variation from the above is when I said Southend played in League One someone nodded knowingly and said "so they play against PSG then".

I did work with a Peterborough supporter recently so at least had someone to talk about real football with.

Back