• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I cant be bothered to go anymore.

But very soon there will have to be the promise of change and light at the end of the tunnel - time to renew season tickets is just around the corner!!

I brought our four season tickets for this season after a statement from RM/SUFC said that we needed to get players in the summer and not rely on loan players again, sorry I was conned last year and will not be renewing new season

Would you rather we spent money that we didn't have?

I'm pretty sure that RM's 'early signings' statement was quite a way into the sale of season tickets. It was certainly after Steve Tilson said that he would only be bringing in two or three players ater the last game of the season.

know how you feel Tommy,

Had a season card since 2004 but last season after Bailey left I last year was really beginning to get the feeling that the good team we'd built over the last few years was being dismantled without replacements in sight. Sure we picked up a lot after Theo and Dervitte came in but these were short term fixes to the bigger problem. So come the end of the season I opted to spend the season card fund on flights for a 3 week trip round Thailand instead - money very well spent!

I've been to a handful of games this season and aren't surprised at the plight we now found ourselves in. It doesn't take a genius to see that if we keep gradually replacing good players with inferior ones then the team will only head downwards.

Crowds picked up over the last few years because the product was good, people will vote with their feet come May if its back to League 2 and Ron expects everyone to fork out 400+ quid to watch us rub shoulders with Burton, Morecambe, Accrington Stanley and a big derby against the Daggers!

I've missed most of the games this year through uni but I still wanted to be there yesterday. I've come back for a few games, MK Dons, Leeds, Hartlepool and Colchester at home and Orient away, and I've enjoyed them all (they were good games though, and wins mostly).

I listen to every match and it does dishearten me what's become of our team. When you think of the group of players we had, not great players, but solid professionals that cared about the club. Bentley, Jupp, Wilson, Prior, Maher. Those for me are the kind of players that will be in my memory when I think of Southend United in the 2000's.

We need a stable team again with permanent signings that we can call Southend United again.

I can see why a lot of the fans who jumped on the bandwagon would think of doing something else with their saturday afternoons but it really surprises me that those of you who have been through the **** in the past with this Club are acting like this now.

None of that makes me a 'better' fan. It just seems strange to me that anyone who sat through the Alvin Martin, Steve Wignall and Rob Newman eras could think about walking away now.
Like the other guys I have this feeling that I could pack it up for this season despite having paid for my seaso months ago.

I first went to the Hall 40 years ago, but can't claim to have been to every game since though I've been a seaso for around 25 years.
Perhaps it's just that
- at 50 the enthusiasm of yoof has gone. I used to travel all over the place week in week out, but I've been to most places several times.
- I was part of United for Southend who fought with Vic to avoid the Bas Vegas move & enjoyed that battle. I can't see fighting Ron has much sense given the financial grip he has & the trusty thing certainly can't do it.
- like many others I've been affected a lot by the recession. I go to footy as a release from the wordly worries of the daily drudge & for some entertainment. I can't remember a season with less bright moments. Even when we were sh!t before we were often amusingly bad.
- I've seen us relegated several times, so I'm not a glory hunter, but despite the fact that we're far from doomed as yet this season gives me more feelings of hopelessness than ever before.
- the Holy Grail of Fossetts farm is receding by the day it seems ever more pointless the smaller the crowds in L2 if that happens. I accept though Ron's arguments that the external revenues there are crucial to the club's development.
- this is the 1st really hopeless period since the www revolution. Relegation from the CCC wasn't such a period of desolation as it was half expected. But the dark days mid 70's & 80's we all just moaned in the pubs for an hour or 2 & then went home. Now it seems greater as we've got 24 hours a day of SZ etc. I'm sure we moaned just as much in those days but no one heard us.

It's probably age, the economic situation (as it affects me), lack of entertainment & the general hopelessness that seems to emanate from the club each week HMRC, players wages, embargoes etc etc that just makes me think of sitting at home. I'm sure I won't pack up but it wouldn't take much of an offer to make me miss a game.

Last edited:
Great post, Hooly. I'm saying that because I can't rep you again.

- this is the 1st really hopeless period since the www revolution. Relegation from the CCC wasn't such a period of desolation as it was half expected. But the dark days mid 70's & 80's we all just moaned in the pubs for an hour or 2 & then went home. Now it seems greater as we've got 24 hours a day of SZ etc. I'm sure we moaned just as much in those days but no one heard us.

A very, very good point. I remember this place being quite calm when we were rubbish in the early part of the last decade but maybe we'd all accepted mediocrity at that stage.

I can understand the apathy but I'm not gonna stop going, recently it has been dire we need to get the behind the team but its hard when you only have 2 shot on target in a game you really need to win!

Great post, Hooly. I'm saying that because I can't rep you again.

A very, very good point. I remember this place being quite calm when we were rubbish in the early part of the last decade but maybe we'd all accepted mediocrity at that stage.
Cheers Beef bloke. I seriously do think it's not so much of an "expectational" thing but more of a "24hr news" situation that makes it seem worse.

We now get
- Ron blogs at midnight, all we got before Vic pointing out in the Echo that there were 92 other clubs we could watch.
- Chris Phillips (who I like) on the Echo website, then it was Howard Southwood once a week in the paper & who ever read that.
- wall to wall websites, compared with a few mates in a pub.
- Mildy telling us to F (or P) off, as opposed to Pat Scully coming down the Railway for a quick beer (or 3) & admitting he'd had a mare. :whistling: :angel:

However we are in trouble this season, of that there's no doubt in my mind.

Cheers Beef bloke. I seriously do think it's not so much of an "expectational" thing but more of a "24hr news" situation that makes it seem worse.

We now get
- Ron blogs at midnight, all we got before Vic pointing out in the Echo that there were 92 other clubs we could watch.
- Chris Phillips (who I like) on the Echo website, then it was Howard Southwood once a week in the paper & who ever read that.
- wall to wall websites, compared with a few mates in a pub.
- Mildy telling us to F (or P) off, as opposed to Pat Scully coming down the Railway for a quick beer (or 3) & admitting he'd had a mare. :whistling: :angel:

However we are in trouble this season, of that there's no doubt in my mind.

We stepped into deep doo doo when our only goalscorer left for greener grass. Now we huff and we puff with hardly a shot on target.

Hooly, you can't stop coming or the levels of abuse aimed at Homer will go right down and that's not fair. It's the only reason I go.

Did feel very Bad yesterday. We lost out on 2 priceless points and felt like **** after. I didn't come on here as I knew I would feel worse and no doubt chat a load of rubbish. Instead I had a good night out and feel a lot better about it all. I have felt like like tommy many times this season and have said before what he has but you can't stop it's not that easy. It's in your blood and knowing tommy for quite a few years I know he will still come and the reason he started this thread is because he cares. I really believe it's not the losing that is affecting people it's lack of fight. That's what it is for me anyway. It's not easy supporting southend but I love it and will on going through the hards times. Must say though it's hard to watch Francis though lol

But very soon there will have to be the promise of change and light at the end of the tunnel - time to renew season tickets is just around the corner!!

I brought our four season tickets for this season after a statement from RM/SUFC said that we needed to get players in the summer and not rely on loan players again, sorry I was conned last year and will not be renewing new season

Ron thinks that we are all gullible, just like he wants the pizza man to be, he's not gonna be conned and nor will we next season!

Like the other guys I have this feeling that I could pack it up for this season despite having paid for my seaso months ago.

I first went to the Hall 40 years ago, but can't claim to have been to every game since though I've been a seaso for around 25 years.
Perhaps it's just that
- at 50 the enthusiasm of yoof has gone. I used to travel all over the place week in week out, but I've been to most places several times.
- I was part of United for Southend who fought with Vic to avoid the Bas Vegas move & enjoyed that battle. I can't see fighting Ron has much sense given the financial grip he has & the trusty thing certainly can't do it.
- like many others I've been affected a lot by the recession. I go to footy as a release from the wordly worries of the daily drudge & for some entertainment. I can't remember a season with less bright moments. Even when we were sh!t before we were often amusingly bad.
- I've seen us relegated several times, so I'm not a glory hunter, but despite the fact that we're far from doomed as yet this season gives me more feelings of hopelessness than ever before.
- the Holy Grail of Fossetts farm is receding by the day it seems ever more pointless the smaller the crowds in L2 if that happens. I accept though Ron's arguments that the external revenues there are crucial to the club's development.

It's probably age, the economic situation (as it affects me), lack of entertainment & the general hopelessness that seems to emanate from the club each week HMRC, players wages, embargoes etc etc that just makes me think of sitting at home. I'm sure I won't pack up but it wouldn't take much of an offer to make me miss a game.

Some excellent points there.

With respect to the bit in bold: Francis Laurent?

Hooly, you can't stop coming or the levels of abuse aimed at Homer will go right down and that's not fair. It's the only reason I go.

I think the important issue here is whether abusing Homer actually improves his level of performance? Is it not counter-productive? Despite Hooly having been abusing him for God knows how many years have we really seen any improvement in the standard of Homer's comments?

IMO fans want to see a team show a bit of passion , a bit of fight and a bit of respect towards them at the end of the day , if its lacking from on teh pitch then its very easy to get disheartened from the stands .

Funny enough I used to go and watch nearly every Reserve home game under the Newman era and sat through some dross , but like many have pointed out it just feels worse this season and I have lost the will to fork out 50 notes every home game to follow a bunch of lads who don;t seem to give a dam ( apart from a few ) and are only here to pick up wages .

Funny enough had a convo with one of the players who was with an ex player at a do i went to , of course i will not name and they stated that there is no togetherness with a lot of the foriegnors that have come in at teh club , and that most of the time there is a split in the dressing room between certain players .
I may add that there is no hatred or amonosity in this split its just the way things have happened and the player in question is not used to this as previously at Southend and also at various clubs the lads have always done things outside of ' work ' as a unit .

Ok not every player at a club gets on but the ex player hand on heart said that teh team from teh League 2 promotion and League 1 champions were as togehther as they could be and had a great social rupour with the fellow players , that saddens me to think of our team like that now .

I think the important issue here is whether abusing Homer actually improves his level of performance? Is it not counter-productive? Despite Hooly having been abusing him for God knows how many years have we really seen any improvement in the standard of Homer's comments?

Best Homer gem this season after he repeated a comment made by yours truly Hooly mentioned there was a parrot sitting in the SU to which Homer replied "Quack Quack"

Worth the ticket money any day.

Best Homer gem this season after he repeated a comment made by yours truly Hooly mentioned there was a parrot sitting in the SU to which Homer replied "Quack Quack"

Worth the ticket money any day.

:homer::D:D

I think thats it really.

What i wouldnt give for a bunch of honest hardworking players like the team that got us promoted to league 1 in the first place.

The bentleys hunts wilsons pettifers mahers flahavans priors sodje's etc etc etc.

We have no fight no passion and it pains me to say it but i really think Tilly hasnt a clue how to motivate/organise the current crop nor does he have the finances to change and is just treading water and hoping for the next win. I think the players know it and the situation with wages and finances in general and are just going through the motions in the knowledge that those reasons can be used as excuses.

On top of all of that we the fans have been lied to and mugged off completely.

It just all makes me feel not part of a club that i love and currently have no pride in whatsoever.

Ha - like it, S&2V! I've got a feeling about that Charlton game too. The Friday night under the floodlights, the smell of onions ... oh no, not anymore ... the appearance of the greatest pantomime villain in our recent history and the venom that will produce in our fans. Yep, the Ginger Judas could be instrumental in turning it right round - cue song from mid-eighties - for us, unless of course the Franchise are still reeling from yesterday's five-goal mauling next week and can help us on the road to recovery. A point was not so bad from yesterday considering other results down there, but yeah, I didn't have to watch it (though I did see the awful game up there), so can understand how forlorn Tommy and others are feeling at the moment. But like S&2V says, pick yourselves up - we've a long way to go and it's not over yet.

Too right

I have always said that we should put all our efforts into given support to OUR team , but with , as you put it ' the greatest pantomine villain' coming to town we need a full house to show that piece of xxxx what we think of him.

That thought will keep be going for the time being, Macca , Barret and N'voto vs ginger tosser round "

Too right

I have always said that we should put all our efforts into given support to OUR team , but with , as you put it ' the greatest pantomine villain' coming to town we need a full house to show that piece of xxxx what we think of him.

That thought will keep be going for the time being, Macca , Barret and N'voto vs ginger tosser round "

You know, I can't think of an ex-player of ours who I have disliked so much. I'm hoping that we can give that **** the reception he deserves on Friday week. :clap:

IMO fans want to see a team show a bit of passion , a bit of fight and a bit of respect towards them at the end of the day , if its lacking from on teh pitch then its very easy to get disheartened from the stands .

F
Funny enough had a convo with one of the players who was with an ex player at a do i went to , of course i will not name and they stated that there is no togetherness with a lot of the foriegnors that have come in at teh club , and that most of the time there is a split in the dressing room between certain players .
I may add that there is no hatred or amonosity in this split its just the way things have happened and the player in question is not used to this as previously at Southend and also at various clubs the lads have always done things outside of ' work ' as a unit .

Ok not every player at a club gets on but the ex player hand on heart said that teh team from teh League 2 promotion and League 1 champions were as togehther as they could be and had a great social rupour with the fellow players , that saddens me to think of our team like that now .

that is very disheartening, although not surprising, as this is how it looks on the pitch. Building team spirit should not be something a manager is incapable of doing

Back