• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I cant be bothered to go anymore.

Tilly, Brush and the squad.

They all need us more than ever. They always mentioned the fans "spur them on", "give them an extra 10%" and "are the 12th man".

At times on Saturday, I think we actually hindered rather than helped.

Yes the football certainly wasn't the greatest, but when JFC in particular, was passing the ball sideways and backwards the groans where incredibly loud, yet when we moved the ball around (which we did at times) a ripple of applause was the best we could muster.

All JFC was doing was retaining possesion, and keeping the ball ticking over which is far better than the aimless ball over the top he played that went through to the goalkeeper. The players aren't playing bad on purpose. They don't sit in the changing room and decide to mis-place passes, pull out of tackles and miss goalscoring chances.

Their confidence is low, and our groans and boos and abuse certainly doesn't help. I heard one fan shout to Francis "slit your wrists". How is that meant to help a player who is at his best when his confidence is flowing.

I was just as disappointed as everyone else as to how things went on Saturday, but I tried to get behind them, constanly shouting at players to "pick their heads up" and the like. I wish some more people would.

The way i see it, usually it takes one little spark to get the crowd going. I.e. a rasping shot, a late tackle, a corner etc etc. That has been lacking recently. Take Tranmere for example, how many saves did their keeper make? There were no last-ditch-blood-and-thunder tackles. There was nothing to really get the crowd worked up. Even the penalty seemed slighlty muted.

The way i see it, usually it takes one little spark to get the crowd going. I.e. a rasping shot, a late tackle, a corner etc etc. That has been lacking recently. Take Tranmere for example, how many saves did their keeper make? There were no last-ditch-blood-and-thunder tackles. There was nothing to really get the crowd worked up. Even the penalty seemed slighlty muted.

But it works both ways.

When was the last time Roots Hall was really rocking? When was the last time we sung for 45 minutes, let alone the 90 minutes.

Yes, sometimes what happens on the pitch it sparks the crowd, but sometimes its the other way around. A good sing song gives the players a confidence boost. The biggest cheer on Saturday, including the goal, was when Macca warmed up in the first half the first time. Not overly impressive is it.

But it works both ways.

When was the last time Roots Hall was really rocking? When was the last time we sung for 45 minutes, let alone the 90 minutes.

Yes, sometimes what happens on the pitch it sparks the crowd, but sometimes its the other way around. A good sing song gives the players a confidence boost. The biggest cheer on Saturday, including the goal, was when Macca warmed up in the first half the first time. Not overly impressive is it.

The thing is, i do agree with you, but we both know that 90-95% of fans at Roots Hall don't want to get involved singing etc Our crowds have always been muted. As far back as i can remember, i struggle to think of times when the Roots Hall Faithfull were actually in unison in song. It's been the same ever since i first went up The Hall 14 years ago. The South Upper has a handfull of people who try their best, the East is like a morgue. Then West isn't much better, but at least those in Blocks V/W try.

Also, part of me feels, that at the moment, nothing we fans do will inspire this collection of players to actually play better.

The thing is, i do agree with you, but we both know that 90-95% of fans at Roots Hall don't want to get involved singing etc Our crowds have always been muted. As far back as i can remember, i struggle to think of times when the Roots Hall Faithfull were actually in unison in song. It's been the same ever since i first went up The Hall 14 years ago. The South Upper has a handfull of people who try their best, the East is like a morgue. Then West isn't much better, but at least those in Blocks V/W try.

Also, part of me feels, that at the moment, nothing we fans do will inspire this collection of players to actually play better.

This must be the first thing we agree on :stunned:

But we can make the difference. As an example, Francis is very much a confidence player. When his confidence is up, he is bombing up the right wing, putting crosses over and playing well. When his confidence is hot the ball gets stuck under his feet, he over/under hits crosses, and slices the ball out of play. Now, if you have people shouting "**** off Francis" and "slit your wrists" how is that going to effect your game? Are you going to want to get on the ball and play your way out of your bad game, or are you going to hide?

If he tries to put a ball in, and it doesn't work out, if you have people clapping him, shouting encouragement etc its going to make him try that bit harder isn't it.

But we can make the difference. As an example, Francis is very much a confidence player. When his confidence is up, he is bombing up the right wing, putting crosses over and playing well. When his confidence is hot the ball gets stuck under his feet, he over/under hits crosses, and slices the ball out of play. Now, if you have people shouting "**** off Francis" and "slit your wrists" how is that going to effect your game? Are you going to want to get on the ball and play your way out of your bad game, or are you going to hide?

If he tries to put a ball in, and it doesn't work out, if you have people clapping him, shouting encouragement etc its going to make him try that bit harder isn't it.

Totally agree with you . Wheres the flags ? think its time to start getting behind the team from the off .

But it works both ways.

Gilingham, when we were days from administration. Atmosphere like that every game ( o.k. we know it needs a crisis to provide one) and who knows what our home record would look like now.

Yep i agree, stuff like that just doesn't/won't help.

Back to the origional point;

For the first time in a while, i also just didn't care. After the Wycombe game i was livid, the Swindon game was more shock than anything, but on Saturday i just didn't care. Ther must have been about 5 or so minutes left, and i just couldn't wait to leave, and being honest, i ****ed off as soon as the 4th official stuck the board up. I didn't even have the energy or willpower to stay to the final whistle and boo :)

Gilingham, when we were days from administration. Atmosphere like that every game ( o.k. we know it needs a crisis to provide one) and who knows what our home record would look like now.

Exactly, everyone realised and pulled together - it was also the night of the bucket collection so people were motivated on many levels. It SHOULD be like that more often.

Well then if we all agree that we are in the middle of a massive crisis, then lets all do what we can to make sure the next home game (Charlton) is the best atmosphere since!! ideas???

Gills was bucket night. saturday, on the other hand, had people placing the forefingers in their mouths and saying "bucket"

It was also a Friday and you definitely get a better atmosphere on a Friday.

Well then if we all agree that we are in the middle of a massive crisis, then lets all do what we can to make sure the next home game (Charlton) is the best atmosphere since!! ideas???

A nice welcome for Nicky Bailey!!! Balloons with effigies to represent his over inflated ego!

TOTALLY RIGHT. But people who abuse him put themselves before the team. OK that's their choice, but if they then start going on at how they love Southend then sorry- they are talking XXXXXXXXX. If you do love Southend then do what you can to make the players play better

Oh dear. Sometimes I wonder how we have as many fans as we do as with all of the gloom many seem to be one goal kick away from a one way ticket to Switzerland.

Reasons to be cheerful, part 1:

- at least we have something to play for, mid-table tedium ain't for SUFC fans;
- we have been far far worse in the past despite what is said on this thread;
- all of our eggs are in one basket re the new stadium, but if it takes off (and you have to believe it will otherwise you might aswell flip completely and watch the Ewe) then we really should have something to move forward with and be proud of;
- you need skill and endeavour to suceed, but in a game based also on the fragility of human error, a large slice of lack is vital, we had it in spades on our push up to the Championship, luck has dererted us for now but it will return, it always does;
- we never know what is round the corner, if it was 100% predictable we wouldn't go as it would be boring, the last but one home game v Swindon is the latest proof of that.

Chin up, stick with it, and your patience will be rewarded..............in one way or another.

And Switzerland in Feb ain't all that.

UTB

Tilly, Brush and the squad.

But for the first time on Saturday, in his post match interview, Tilly not only sounded despondent, he appeared to show a disrespect to the fans. Does he really believe that people paying £ 20, and in the case of families, a whole lot more, will be happy watching the tripe that was dished out on Saturday.

He gets paid ?? to be there, not like the fans, and I'm sure if he sat where we sat, and was truly critical he wouldn't be happy either. I appreciate that he has his hands tied, I appreciate that he probably knows just how dire the situation is, I agree that he and Paul Brush have done a great job since they have been there and given all of us some great times, but to watch his own body language standing by the dugout on Saturday was painful. He showed as much passion as the players, barring Adam Barrett, did on the pitch, nil.

Hard times ahead indeed.

Last edited:
"I can't be bothered to go anymore"!!!???

Then don't.. True fans will stick by the club whatever happens..

... I agree that he and Paul Brush have done a great job since they have been there and given all of us some great times, but to watch his own bode language standing by the dugout on Saturday was painful.

I like that use of language, almost hinting at what was to come. In this instance, perhaps Tilly was sending a non-verbal message to the players that his body language did not bode well for them. ;)

But for the first time on Saturday, in his post match interview, Tilly not only sounded despondent, he appeared to show a disrespect to the fans. QUOTE]

Yes this worried me too.Though I'm not sure he showed disrespect to the fans as such although he certainly refused to be drawn on the interviewers question as to whether he understood the reaction of the crowd at the final whistle.AB of course said that he did when asked the same question.

Last edited:
Back