• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I got the balls

Simple its not tilsons fault were losing at places like exeter etc its the chairmans fault of failing to a run a professional club correctly and leaving the manager without a pot to **** in

Surely you cannot blame RM, he has got us plans for a new stadium where would we be without them bits of paper ??

Can't see Tilly walking myself, with or without Brushy.

Problem is T+B have become very predictable tactically - only use 442 come what may - and sides know what to expect.

They could get away with it when they had a play maker called Kevin Maher, a shotstopper called Daryl Flahavan and a talisman up front whose name I can't remember anymore. plus a number of experienced professionals helping out behind the scenes.

Other clubs have worked this out by now and although T+B may get on the beauty parades, I'll be amazed if a 'bigger' club offers them something.

Time for some variation in the way we play, some creativity from set pieces and some better discipline, all of which will cost us precisely nothing.

It was Prior not Flahavan that sorted out the defence. Gower was also a hugely influentially player going forward when on song and along with Maher was instrumental in our style of play.

The problem isn't tactical inflexibility but one of balance. When we won the title we had an excellent balance between attack and defence; skill and muscle; passion and footballing intelligence; youthful exuberance and experienced pros. The balance in the current team isn't quite right. That's got very little to do with 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 but is more to do with blending the right mix together to cover for players' weaknesses and make the most of their strengths.

Must admit, i am getting pretty tiresome of Tilson, his like i say, like i say, like i say interviews on BBC Essex, on how we didn't get the rub of the green, blaming the ref, blaming the pitch etc etc. He never blames himself or the players for a defeat. Yes we have no money, and no great squad, Tilson has done good work over the years, but its all gone stale IMHO. A change would be no bad thing, i'm sure someone could come in and work with little or no money. Look at all the good non league managers that can work miracles with no resources etc. Thanks for all your work over the years Tilly, love ya to bits, but like everything, all good things must come to an end.

Must admit I'm getting pretty tired of you coming on here spouting the same ******** every winter. Your arguments are getting stale and really could do with a change.

You said Tilson should go around this time when we were in the championship, then we beat Man U and took Spurs to extra time; then the following season you said Tilson should go and he rebuilt the team and took them into the play-offs; then last season you said the same thing but Tilson managed to rebuild yet again, signed Dervite on loan etc and we flirted with the play-offs on a budget.

Yes, we need change: we need you to change the record and stop whinging and dreaming that someone like Martin Allen is going to be better. How many times must you be proved wrong for you to change your mind?

Deffinatly agree that Tilson is deffinatly a decent manager and is the right man, but when i watch us sometimes, the late subs, transfer buys and the reactions and body language from the managment can be frustrating. I sometimes wish tilly would get hold of the players a bit more and give them more of a bollocking, i do feel like sometimes we need a neil warnock kind of figure showing loads of passion and maybe we would see more points in certain games, but its not worth the risk, hes a decent manager, has a shoe string to work with, and in my opinion hes working with the worse squad weve had since maybe the wignall days

Good post. Tilly isn't perfect, but what the bookies' best friend TTK fails to realise is that Tilly's successor will also have faults and there will be loads of things that he does that you completely disagree with, like when he gets rid of a load of your favourite players, starts playing long ball, makes too many substitutions etc etc. Oh and lose games. No-ones perfect, so considering that Tilly isn't too bad.

I can understand this post TrueBlue, even though I dont necessarily agree with all of it. I don't know how old you are, but ten or so years back, when I was in my mid twenties, I was travelling all over the place watching a very poor Southend team, often getting beat very heavily, and showing no commitment or desire. In fact at one point I think I went a whole year without seeing us win away before we won 3-2 at Plymouth(A certain Martin Allen made his debut for us in that game) Of course it frustrates and angers you much more when you've made that long journey, than if you are sitting at home listening to the game on the radio. It does for me anyway. Back then there wasn't much in the way of message boards, just the beginnings of an email list, and if you were really angry, you could call up 606 from the coach home if you were lucky enough to get through. I remember someone calling David Mellor on the journey home from Oldham once and ripped our team, and in particular Jeroen Boere to shreds. Vic Jobson called the show later in response.
Anyway, although I can understand your frustrations and wanting Tilson to depart, he really cant be blamed for the mediocre bunch of players he has at his disposal at the moment, and I am still just glad that we have a football club to watch at all. If we finish where we are in the table at the moment, it cant be considered anything else but a good season

I can understand this post TrueBlue, even though I dont necessarily agree with all of it. I don't know how old you are, but ten or so years back, when I was in my mid twenties, I was travelling all over the place watching a very poor Southend team, often getting beat very heavily, and showing no commitment or desire. In fact at one point I think I went a whole year without seeing us win away before we won 3-2 at Plymouth(A certain Martin Allen made his debut for us in that game) Of course it frustrates and angers you much more when you've made that long journey, than if you are sitting at home listening to the game on the radio. It does for me anyway. Back then there wasn't much in the way of message boards, just the beginnings of an email list, and if you were really angry, you could call up 606 from the coach home if you were lucky enough to get through. I remember someone calling David Mellor on the journey home from Oldham once and ripped our team, and in particular Jeroen Boere to shreds. Vic Jobson called the show later in response.
Anyway, although I can understand your frustrations and wanting Tilson to depart, he really cant be blamed for the mediocre bunch of players he has at his disposal at the moment, and I am still just glad that we have a football club to watch at all. If we finish where we are in the table at the moment, it cant be considered anything else but a good season

I am 24 by the way.. but I see your point and after a good night sleep things don't seem so bad but still I cant agree with Jabo he is just a waste of time!

Simple its not tilsons fault were losing at places like exeter etc its the chairmans fault of failing to a run a professional club correctly and leaving the manager without a pot to **** in

Jesus H Christ, anyone who expects to win away let alone at Exeter is completely deluded. Look if you travel away, you go for the fun and a day out with your mates. Don't ever expect to win or you'll be sorely disappointed......and then spout bollocks on a fan website.

Of which the crown prosecution service said he had no case to answer too it's all crap

Scott

I know It’s not nice to southend united having a poor season but the above comment is a bit out of order... I know Steve Tilson has been a model professional since his early playing days with the Shrimpers and has never been drink or thrown out of any Pubs in Wickford.

Leave out the ********, but I do understand your frustration and save your anger for the carrot crunchers on Boxing Day

ONE TEAM IN ESSEX
SOUTHEND UNITED FC

Sorry, this comment just makes you look stupid. Have you talked to any Cheltenham fans? A good mate of mine commentates for BBC Gloucestershire and he tells me that everyone connected to the club thought that he was a twit. He took them down to league two last year - remember?

You are exaggerating Scannell's contribution but he put in a very good cross that led to a goal which surely makes that a GOOD substitution at the RIGHT time that led to a VICTORY! Laurent played a blinder so he was right to try to keep him on.
Today, he made two brave, attacking substitutions twenty minutes from time. Iberhe (foolishly) got himself sent off and the resulting formation arguably almost led to a worse defeat. Yes, I sometimes get frustrated at the late substitutions but it is easy to be wise after the event and your example is a bad one.

IMO Tilly is a really good manager, Even with the slightly improved situation in the last couple of weeks with the embargo removed and players returning from injuries and suspensions he still has one of the smallest squads in the league. I am struggling to comprehend some of the posts on this thread!

Should have taken Ibehere off though he was shocking yesterday!

Should have taken Ibehere off though he was shocking yesterday!

He wasn't even that good!

Looks like you've had a good fishing trip!!

Yes you do have the balls, cos you are talking bollocks! As for Martin Allen, that made me laugh & made me forget for a moment about the toothless display yesterday.

Hopefully RM will have heard the boos as he crossed the pitch. Yes Ron they were boos & not Moussa moussss! That is where the anger should be aimed, not Tilly. Any non-SUFC legend with a great record as Tilly, would have left ages ago & gone elsewhere. Even the inbreds up the A12 have more ambition than us at present!!

I actually thought this referred to either Scott collecting the number of balls that went over the wall our end yesterday or him joining in the carol singing at the services!

uuuuuuuuhmmm - Martin Allen is on the dole cos he had to be thrown out of a city centre nite club - think it was about 2am in the morning when the incident occurred -

quality manager - wouldn't let him near a professional football club

He was racially abusive to a doorman at a Cheltenham nightclub. Police and club investigated it - doorman didnt press charges. He claims it happens every week to him. If he did press charges, i'd imagine half of Cheltenham would be investigated.

I'd never have him at our club, let alone at anyone else's.

I am 24 by the way.. but I see your point and after a good night sleep things don't seem so bad but still I cant agree with Jabo he is just a waste of time!

I think Scott, you made your original post before engaging your brain last night.
Now in the cold light of day your making more sence.

Jabo 'looks the part' but has proved a huge disappointment for us.
I guess thats part of why Tilly can't get the results he wants. He has to make do with other teams unwanted cast-off's rather than get in players who he would really like to have.

Scott

I know It’s not nice to southend united having a poor season but the above comment is a bit out of order... I know Steve Tilson has been a model professional since his early playing days with the Shrimpers and has never been drink or thrown out of any Pubs in Wickford.

Leave out the ********, but I do understand your frustration and save your anger for the carrot crunchers on Boxing Day

ONE TEAM IN ESSEX
SOUTHEND UNITED FC

Not quite what my source tells me but its like with the Martin Allen thing who is to say / care I have always admired your faith Rich most of us can always take a view from somebody like yourself when times get tough but I just feel things need a shake up I don't know where how or why but they do.

UTB

He wasn't even that good!

Looks like you've had a good fishing trip!!

Yes you do have the balls, cos you are talking bollocks! As for Martin Allen, that made me laugh & made me forget for a moment about the toothless display yesterday.

Hopefully RM will have heard the boos as he crossed the pitch. Yes Ron they were boos & not Moussa moussss! That is where the anger should be aimed, not Tilly. Any non-SUFC legend with a great record as Tilly, would have left ages ago & gone elsewhere. Even the inbreds up the A12 have more ambition than us at present!!

Your missing the point I don't care if its Martin Allen or not, its just a name who is to say that if we had martin Allen he would not do a better job? I dont know that and neither do you but what annoys me still that when anybody on this site questions tilson its...

1. Never his fault
2. Got to be Ron Martins fault
3. Who else would you have as manager?

Back