• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I seem to have unintentionally acquired a cat...

amsemp

Director⭐
Slightly random, I know. But about 3 months ago, a cat started appearing in our back garden on a pretty consistent basis. He then started noticing when we were getting home from work and waiting for the back gate to open before darting in and sitting in/rolling around in the garden wanting us to stroke him.

Fast forward 3 months, he now just wanders into the house uninvited as it's hot and the back door is open. He usually just came in, sniffed around, did a few laps of the living room and went out again. But recently we just can't get rid of him. He kept coming in last night, constantly meowing and going all round my feet and pretty much spends all day in our garden. I was going to bed and locked the back door, only for him to be on the other side clawing at the door and crying.

I opened the back door this morning and he ran straight in. He must have spent all night in the garden and he's also been in the garden and wandering in and out of the house all day. Even found him asleep on the sofa earlier when I came back downstairs.

We don't feed him and don't entice him in, so how can I get this cat to stop coming in? He lives next door but one and I feel really guilty like I've just stolen someone's cat, but it really isn't my fault. Don't want to just shut the door as its so hot at the moment and the house is roasting.

Any ideas?!

You never own cats, you only have them on loan. This one appears to have decided that you now belong to him/her. Normally if you don't feed them or give attention they will eventually go away. Not the case here it seems. I would speak to the cat's owners and let them know that their cat is squatting with you. The cat may have previous with other neighbours, but if you really don't want moggy, then you are probably going to have to give it a bit of a helping hand in moving on. Short of out and out cruelty, this may involve some firm handling. Water pistols sometimes persuade cats to move on. Of course, you may end up as adoptive parents.

You never own cats, you only have them on loan. This one appears to have decided that you now belong to him/her. Normally if you don't feed them or give attention they will eventually go away. Not the case here it seems. I would speak to the cat's owners and let them know that their cat is squatting with you. The cat may have previous with other neighbours, but if you really don't want moggy, then you are probably going to have to give it a bit of a helping hand in moving on. Short of out and out cruelty, this may involve some firm handling. Water pistols sometimes persuade cats to move on. Of course, you may end up as adoptive parents.

What he said. That's pretty much how Socks our black & white halfwit moved in. He's part of the family now.

Slightly random, I know. But about 3 months ago, a cat started appearing in our back garden on a pretty consistent basis. He then started noticing when we were getting home from work and waiting for the back gate to open before darting in and sitting in/rolling around in the garden wanting us to stroke him.

Fast forward 3 months, he now just wanders into the house uninvited as it's hot and the back door is open. He usually just came in, sniffed around, did a few laps of the living room and went out again. But recently we just can't get rid of him. He kept coming in last night, constantly meowing and going all round my feet and pretty much spends all day in our garden. I was going to bed and locked the back door, only for him to be on the other side clawing at the door and crying.

I opened the back door this morning and he ran straight in. He must have spent all night in the garden and he's also been in the garden and wandering in and out of the house all day. Even found him asleep on the sofa earlier when I came back downstairs.

We don't feed him and don't entice him in, so how can I get this cat to stop coming in? He lives next door but one and I feel really guilty like I've just stolen someone's cat, but it really isn't my fault. Don't want to just shut the door as its so hot at the moment and the house is roasting.

Any ideas?!

We had something similar with a cat that lived near us. He had previous, and this was his last chance. He was put down. Before anyone gets too upset, he'd done this many times before, and actually started to terrorize other cats that lived in the houses he'd adopted, and also damaged the houses. He scratched the **** out of me...

A similar thing also happened when we moved house. Our new next door neighbour's cat used to come in and eat our cat's food. The reason was the our neighbours had put their cat on a diet!

A natural sponge cut up into small chunks, soaked in Olive Oil and baked and scattered around your garden Works wonders for feral cat problems but is rather indiscriminate so ............best not huh ;)

On a serious note. This cat clearly feels your home is far more preferable to his own but I feel unless you want to adopt said moggie full time a lesson in tough love is called for.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Just got home from work and he was asleep on the garden chair next to the back door :stunned:

Not against having a cat, but he's a much loved family pet from what I can gather. Will see if I can have a chat with the owners. Either way, once it gets colder, the door will be shut so he might not have much choice on whether he wants to come in!

Back