• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell are you?

• Total voters
We did, indeed.

A bold move which reaped huge rewards for us! :Winking2:
Could have been worse Andy. He could have signed for the Wombles and had his prolific season this year. Last Saturday would have been even more fun.

I saw John Keeley play upfront for us in a reserve game.

Wasn't bad, either.

I actually didn't mind him, in truth. That said, I don't think he played much first team football, from memory.

I think it was him that had an horrendous run of results when he played... he was on the losing side for a ridiculous amount of games. In the end I think we brought in Jon O'Brien from Maldon and he stopped the rot - we won a game.

I'm sure John Keeley was probably a decent keeper, but with very low confidence.

Onto other overrated keepers. Mel Capleton anyone?

I think it was him that had an horrendous run of results when he played... he was on the losing side for a ridiculous amount of games. In the end I think we brought in Jon O'Brien from Maldon and he stopped the rot - we won a game.

I'm sure John Keeley was probably a decent keeper, but with very low confidence.

The reason why he had very low confidence was because, when he played for us, he was ****.

Over rated keepers?

The most over rated keeper by miles was Brian Lloyd.

The only games we won of Keeley's last 34 games for us over 3 seasons were 2 Associate Member cup ties! He was hopeless here! His last 26 league games no wins!

Then he signed for Brighton played over 130 games for them getting promoted to the old Division 2.

This might be pure fabrication but something in the back of my mind is recalling that he didn't realise he couldn't see and improved when he got some contact lenses.

Still earning a living from the game:

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/teams/first-team-staff/staff-profiles/john-keeley/

The reason why he had very low confidence was because, when he played for us, he was ****.

Over rated keepers?

The most over rated keeper by miles was Brian Lloyd.

He who played 545 league games and 3 times for Wales! He just needed a decent centre half in front of him - which he got in Eddie May at Wrexham!

He was a bit of a lad, on and off the pitch.

The only games we won of Keeley's last 34 games for us over 3 seasons were 2 Associate Member cup ties! He was hopeless here! His last 26 league games no wins!

Then he signed for Brighton played over 130 games for them getting promoted to the old Division 2.

This might be pure fabrication but something in the back of my mind is recalling that he didn't realise he couldn't see and improved when he got some contact lenses.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/teams/first-team-staff/staff-profiles/john-keeley/
I recall, I am bot sure if this is correct though, Keeley returning to RH for Brighton.
He got all manner of abuse from the North Bank particularly facing a penalty.
He got a hand to the pen and pushed it onto the bar, thinking it had gone over he jumped to his feet by the side of the goal turned to the NB and started giving it large, meanwhile the ball , which had gone skywards after hitting the bar cane back down in the 6 yard box .
there was a right melee and brighton tried to clear it as their keeper had to scuttle back to play.....

I think he quit football briefly (took up cab driving ?) before joining Brighton, perhaps that's when he got the eye test.

I recall, I am bot sure if this is correct though, Keeley returning to RH for Brighton.
He got a hand to the pen and pushed it onto the bar, thinking it had gone over he jumped to his feet by the side of the goal turned to the NB and started giving it large, meanwhile the ball , which had gone skywards after hitting the bar cane back down in the 6 yard box .
there was a right melee and brighton tried to clear it as their keeper had to scuttle back to play.....

:Smile: Quality!

Still can't beat the interplay with Eric Nixon that night at the North Bank end against Tranmere.

That was pure pantomime villain stuff!

Yeah I remember that, I used to stand behind the goal in them days. Everyone singing “Keeley is s***” and he pulled off a stunning save!
Funny but all those years later and we’re exactly in the same place, guess we always will be.
I’ll still dream away though.

If he starts Robinson tonight then he has got to go!

Who rated Mel Capelton?

Can you imagine years ago standing on the North Bank and only seeing one Southend goal so far into the season....that's how bad this season is to watch as a supporter

In fairness, we would kick towards the North Bank in the 2nd half in those days, but I take your point.

Used to love it when we scored up the North Bank end back in the day. Seeing the ball hit the back of the net and the whole end go up on those Friday nights.

Can you imagine years ago standing on the North Bank and only seeing one Southend goal so far into the season....that's how bad this season is to watch as a supporter

I did watch three scored by us into the North stand goal against Southampton U21s, but that was from the East stand so I'm guessing that doesn't count.

....The fact is Oxley's kicking, lack of commanding his box, coming off his line, not be able to catch the ball, no communication has all assisted with us conceding goals this season.

Not wishing to go (too far) off topic but shouldn't this be picked up by the coaching staff and acted upon ? Or is the Ox his own man ?

Yet again, inept tactics and poor poor substitutions! Theo Robinson is the new Barrignton Belgrave! Give young Issac a go!

Back