• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell are you?

• Total voters
IMO Theo did well in his brief showing, he injected some urgency, showed spirit and desire, set Shawn through once................. I fail to understand #260 on the basis of slating Theo; but taking off Cox would not have been my choice.

no not at all ...

but yes losing faith in SUFC supporters/moaners
Unfortunately the gates are beginning to show otherwise todays was appalling for a tie that could give us a big money match.The whole style of play and negative atmosphere at the club is worrying.

Wasn't there today, listened on BBC Essex. You could hear the negativity from the ground loud and clear, especially when the substitutes came on. For me, this is not acceptable - as fans we are there to support, not criticise our managers and our players.

one of Paul Clarks observations was spot on - when we have the crowd behind us, we play at a pace that even the best of teams can't deal with. So, over an hour of negativity and we are losing. we finally score a second and the place explodes, we get a third disallowed, and the resultant slump happens and we concede a fourth. Coincidence? I think not...

Before anyone says anything, I have been to every home league game bar one in August - so I have seen the performances and the constant changes to line ups and tactics. I have also never seen such a bad set of injuries to key players in such a short space of time, youngsters being chucked in by necessity and no wiggle room or serious strength in depth anywhere. In all honesty, we are a smallish league 1 side, who was always going to have to massively overachieve to compete for the play offs with the current squad even before we lost Hopper for the season. We had high hopes, but we are not Manchester City!

I think SCP is doing a fine job in horrible circumstances, and he does not deserve the crap that I am reading about him.

Can we give the guy a break and get behind him and the team, at least until the New Year. That's all I want for Christmas!

^
A thoughtful, balanced and considered view.

What's this doing here! :Stunned:

I know we are in a difficult place because we lost Hopper, who was crucial to the way that Powell wants to play BUT the lack of imagination in coming up with a new way of playing- using the players still at his disposal - is worrying. It just feels like Powell is in a funk about the whole thing. And, of course, losing Hopper doesn't excuse terrible defensive performances.

SCP's body language pre-match always worries me.

Looks very downbeat all the time, like it's weighing a bit too heavy on him.

What's the other two guys input, though. They don't seem to offer much, on the face of it.

Does Chris Powell inspire you pre-Mach? Nope
Does CP look up for it during the match? Nope
Does CP look like he is up for the fight post-match? Nope

I’ve said before, it’s nothing to do with the injuries the poor tactics, the poor timing of subs, the poor tactical subs, the lack of imagination...just very depressing and like he had accepted we are in the **** until at least Jan...

Let’s not be fooled to think Jan 1 cures this....could take until the end of Jan go get the right players in again if we can afford it. 2 months of this and we could be in serious ****. **** league 2

CP unfortunately is not a inspirational or motivational PR man who needs to understand non diehards will not turn up if not inspired or entertained .We are in a big hole at the moment and everything is doom and gloom

I am getting fed up with listening to the moaners. I could NOT believe that so called supporters turned on Dru. yes he didn't have the best of games but no need for loud mouths to call for him to be taken off.

I am still firmly behind Chris Powell. He has been dealt a rotten hand with injuries. I am quite certain that players like Luke Hyam are not at the moment able to play 3 in a week. Not only is Chris having to manage a depleted squad but he is having to nurse a couple back to full fitness at the same time.

Let us put things into perspective, Barnsley were a very good side. The Division this year is in my view a lot stronger than last season. Even without the injuries we would have been hard pushed to get into the play offs.

I am sure our Management team are already on the case to bring in reinforcements. With Hopper and Coker possibly struggling to make the start of next season, some very difficult decisions need to be made.

I am sure our Management team are already on the case to bring in reinforcements. With Hopper and Coker possibly struggling to make the start of next season, some very difficult decisions need to be made.
Let's not forget Coker is out of contract at the end of this season and had refused to sign any kind of extension, so it will be interesting to see what happens with him. No doubting he's been a key player for us but he's missed long spells through injury in most seasons.

Last edited:
I am getting fed up with listening to the moaners. I could NOT believe that so called supporters turned on Dru. yes he didn't have the best of games but no need for loud mouths to call for him to be taken off.

I am still firmly behind Chris Powell. He has been dealt a rotten hand with injuries. I am quite certain that players like Luke Hyam are not at the moment able to play 3 in a week. Not only is Chris having to manage a depleted squad but he is having to nurse a couple back to full fitness at the same time.

Let us put things into perspective, Barnsley were a very good side. The Division this year is in my view a lot stronger than last season. Even without the injuries we would have been hard pushed to get into the play offs.

Well said that man :Clap:

Let's not forget Coker is out of contract at the end of this season and had refused to sign any kind of extension, so it will be interesting to see what happens with him. No doubting he's been a key player for us but he's missed long spells through injury in most seasons.

Cheerio Ben.

Its ok, we can get in Mark Hughes now... add to our list of 'failed' managers from higher divisions. When, not if, CP goes, we need to be sensible about who comes in. No club hero, it rarely works generally, no 'big shot', you have to question their motives for stepping down to L1 (Div 3). Young and hungry, yet inexperienced or Old, streetwise in the lower leagues.....? Ambitious club? we'd like to think so, in reality, we are only ever going to be lower league and flirt with promotion. Youth is our survival, sadly, sell the good ones, keep the not so good ones and encourage them to stay (career players) top up with seasoned professionals. Sounds easy? Good luck to whoever eventually takes over.

Its ok, we can get in Mark Hughes now... add to our list of 'failed' managers from higher divisions. When, not if, CP goes, we need to be sensible about who comes in. No club hero, it rarely works generally, no 'big shot', you have to question their motives for stepping down to L1 (Div 3). Young and hungry, yet inexperienced or Old, streetwise in the lower leagues.....? Ambitious club? we'd like to think so, in reality, we are only ever going to be lower league and flirt with promotion. Youth is our survival, sadly, sell the good ones, keep the not so good ones and encourage them to stay (career players) top up with seasoned professionals. Sounds easy? Good luck to whoever eventually takes over.
That's the spirit, I always feel so much better reading posts like this.

Back