• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell are you?

• Total voters
The form he had us in last season makes me think he's good, but we have been poor this season. Sounds like we're good in the middle but it's the boxes that count. We need a few clean sheets then we should come good

As I keep saying, the loss of Leonard and Timlin is proving to be extremely costly.

IMO Leonard yes, but he'd gone before CP took charge so irrelevant to the argument.

Timlin, I'd have liked him to stay, and he would be a better option than Hyam IMO, and at least he'd be fit! I'd still start a fully fit Dieng and Mantom ahead of him though.

What's been forgotten is that CP did initially want him to stay (along with MAF). Suddenly the offer was withdrawn. Stinks of Ron meddling and being obsessed with reducing the average squad age....?!

As I keep saying, the loss of Leonard and Timlin is proving to be extremely costly.

I hope find it's the loss of Yearwood that has been costly and things change when he gets back. Kightly has been missed the last two games -McLaughlin has been woeful.

I hope find it's the loss of Yearwood that has been costly and things change when he gets back. Kightly has been missed the last two games -McLaughlin has been woeful.

Yes definitely missing Dru. Interesting that many people really rated Wordsworth but nobody has mentioned missing him (although of course he didn't play that regularly !).

If you think about it PB was ultimately sacked for his recruitment. Players who most fans were initially quite excited about individually, ultimately proved disappointing as a team because they were all too often unavailable / playing with injuries and the manager was seemingly unable to pick the same team, fully fit, two games running, never mind over longer periods.The whole therefore was NOT greater than the sum of its parts. Move over Phil.

My sense is that SCP has had a very similar start this year as PB did last and for much the same reasons - albeit the recruitment was perhaps lower key over the summer in the eyes of many fans. The jury is definitely out and the main worry this year (rather than last actually) might be that if SCP ever does have the luxury of picking his strongest XI, free from injury, regularly this time around -is whether or not they have the quality to be a Top 6 team - for those many fans expecting that this year. Top half definitely but not Top 6 which is actually something I don't think we could have levelled at PB's best Xl under similar circumstances. Not sure that constitutes progress.

Living in this far flung corner of south-west France I am clearly not privy to the news that some of those, who already want to see the back of Chris Powell, have. That is, Arsene Wenger is waiting in the wings (that's obviously the reason he hasn't taken another job yet) to take on the challenge and Ron has found his long lost treasure chest, to finance the venture.
Honestly, come Christmas/ end of January and we're in or around the the relegation zone..........I may consider reflecting on the situation.

Obviously only seen 1 game (Peterborough) but I don't think a manager should be under threat this soon in with all the injuries/suspensions you've had.

Thought the football last week was great and the issue is keeping goals out. Can't comment on yesterdays game, but Stockdale looked about a stone overweight, so you'd hope getting Oxley back would help rectify that. Most of my mates are Charlton, and Powell walked this league with them, and the personnel wasn't the best. Dany N'Guessan leading the line is equivalent to them starting every game with 10 men. He's what I'd call a 'proper' manager, think he's an intelligent man who knows how he wants to play, but I think he's very old school and loyal. From listening to his presser today, I'd assume there'll be changes at Fleetwood. Some people may have been given one last chance to right some wrongs today, but haven't taken the chance.

Back to back wins is all that's needed to kick-start the season. Be 2/3 changes for the Fleetwood game and a win to kick-start it. You heard it here first.

Hes' had no luck with injuries / suspensions ...but that could be said of a lot of ex Shrimper managers....formations appear a little odd.
Yearwood sorely missed, where does Klass & Batlokwa fit in ?
McCoulsky surely must start in a miss firing front line..

Fleetwood ticket purchased....CP, please amuse and entertain me

In the US everybody would be telling us to Trust the Process.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2729018-the-definitive-history-of-trust-the-process

I don't look so much at the results as the decisions he makes. Now I'm never going to agree with every decision a manager makes but I see a clear logic in the decisions he makes and I can get behind that even if I would personally do somethings different (personally I'd have gone for Turner over White and McCoulsky over Cox but I can see the arguments for going the way he did).

I see him signing players he knows how he's going to use - he hasn't signed a single John-Joe O'Toole or Anthony Wordsworth that he doesn't know how they will fit into the side. His signings all look decent. There hasn't been a single Craig Reid, Frank Nouble, Zavon Hines etc. None of his signings have been arrested and none are known trouble for whom it's just a matter of time before they go off the rails again **cough** Nile Ranger **cough**

Nobody's talking about Tom Hopper but here we've got someone who can lead the line and is scoring goals. We've been after one of those for ages. I'm a massive fan of Michael Timlin and what he gave us but his career is winding down and Dieng represents an upgrade over him. Mantom has been probably our best player this season. Barratt unfortunately got injured but I loved the look of him, Hutchinson excites me as a prospect for the future and Bunn looks a real player.

The team hasn't come together as quickly as we'd like but it's been disrupted by injury. We're missing our star player from last season.

Chris Powell wasn't my first choice as Southend manager - I thought it was a sentimental decision but he's won me over with the way he's gone about his job. I now see why he was successful at Charlton. Look at what he did with Dru Yearwood. See how he's revived Theo Robinson's career - who in January would have predicted he'd have scored 7 goals in his last 9 starts or whatever it is. See the astute signings he's made. The results may take time to come around but we're making progress off the pitch and that will eventually be reflected in results on the pitch, particularly when we start getting players back and settled and can get some consistency.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2729018-the-definitive-history-of-trust-the-process

I don't look so much at the results as the decisions he makes. Now I'm never going to agree with every decision a manager makes but I see a clear logic in the decisions he makes and I can get behind that even if I would personally do somethings different (personally I'd have gone for Turner over White and McCoulsky over Cox but I can see the arguments for going the way he did).

I see him signing players he knows how he's going to use - he hasn't signed a single John-Joe O'Toole or Anthony Wordsworth that he doesn't know how they will fit into the side. His signings all look decent. There hasn't been a single Craig Reid, Frank Nouble, Zavon Hines etc. None of his signings have been arrested and none are known trouble for whom it's just a matter of time before they go off the rails again **cough** Nile Ranger **cough**

Nobody's talking about Tom Hopper but here we've got someone who can lead the line and is scoring goals. We've been after one of those for ages. I'm a massive fan of Michael Timlin and what he gave us but his career is winding down and Dieng represents an upgrade over him. Mantom has been probably our best player this season. Barratt unfortunately got injured but I loved the look of him, Hutchinson excites me as a prospect for the future and Bunn looks a real player.

The team hasn't come together as quickly as we'd like but it's been disrupted by injury. We're missing our star player from last season.

Chris Powell wasn't my first choice as Southend manager - I thought it was a sentimental decision but he's won me over with the way he's gone about his job. I now see why he was successful at Charlton. Look at what he did with Dru Yearwood. See how he's revived Theo Robinson's career - who in January would have predicted he'd have scored 7 goals in his last 9 starts or whatever it is. See the astute signings he's made. The results may take time to come around but we're making progress off the pitch and that will eventually be reflected in results on the pitch, particularly when we start getting players back and settled and can get some consistency.

We haven't had the chance to criticise any CP signings because we haven't seen anything of them. If PB had signed those same players you would be leading each of the several 'Brown Out' threads.

If your going to list short term signings like Nouble and Hines or even players we didn't sign like O'Toole. Then you should add Ladapo to the list.

We haven't had the best of starts and I'm certainly not calling for CP out. But lets not dress it up. Barrett was unlucky and sadly we wont be seeing much of him but that happens in Football. Hyam and Lennon have had terrible injury record in recent years which is why there was no competition in signing them. I have heard rumours about Mantom and Dieng before they signed and so far they look to be true.

Hopper is not a bad signing but I did say way back in May. With Ranger gone and MAF going the wages available should get us a decent big number 9. If we had to lose Cox then that would have been worth it.

That aside CP has found the same problems as PB...….Agents prefer to use other clubs if their players have choices......Can anyone guess why that is?

Beat me to it. I'd be worried if the flops so far this season were Powell's signings but they aren't: Mantom has arguably been our best signing over the summer, along with Dieng and Hopper (who IMO has exceeded expectations). Bunn looks a shrewd loan signing, as does Moore, and I think Lennon will be an asset. Whereas the ageing Kightly and the likes of McLaughlin and to a lesser extent Demi have been disappointing.

McCoulsky is an interesting one: clearly a good striker but the thing is, who does he replace? Like I said above, Hopper deserves to keep his place and for all his criticism - albeit some deserved - Cox remains our most intelligent player, works his arse off, knits together our midfield and attack. I've seen little of McCoulsky but from what I've seen I'm not sure he would be the right partner for Hopper as he's too similar and wouldn't be able to drop into pockets to pull defenders out of position.

I'm not a fan of Robinson in general but his pace gives us something different from the bench and the option to turn around opposition defenders and relieve pressure. If Hopper suffers a dramatic loss of form or gets injured, McCoulsky should replace him but as absurd as it might seem to some, I'd persist with Hopper and Cox for now.

One other thing: the so-called 'poor' and 'average' teams we've faced so far at home are all in the top seven. Donny thrashed Walsall yesterday, a team who were previously unbeaten, and Peterborough lost their first game yesterday to Pompey, who are top.

Oh, and we still have Dru to come back. Due to our strong CM we have the luxury of easing him back in without any undue pressure.

If he doesn’t start McCoulsky in the next game then faith will well and truly be lost.

IMO This is just silly...Basing ur view and hopes on a basically unproven kid from BCFC reserves...Worrying....

No way guys ,Powell will get it right , we have squad ,just putting right players in there position
Cox has to be dropped in my opinion
Top goal scorer not in team ,plus we need Dru and young lad Issac in my opinion

The question posed is "Are you losing faith..." Not have you lost all faith. I must say my degree of faith has been reduced due to, in my opinion, poor selection and inappropriate substitutions in terms of players and/or timing, but I do still have faith remaining that CP will get it right eventually - just not as much as I had at the start of the season...... come on Sir Chris.

I'm losing faith in making the play offs this season , but not in Chris Powell. We're having a bad run of form, it happens to everyone really, guess ours is just happening at the start of the season unfortunately. Still far too early to be calling for the chopping block. CP also still has to rely on some PB driftwood for the time being, having only had one transfer window to sort things out, funds limiting of course, as well as the injuries, suspensions, all of that. Hoping for a turn around sooner rather than later , but Christmas time will be the time to properly consider our opinions on CP's position.
I agree, but actually how hard is it to start macolsky? The guy has got 4 goals in the 2 starts his made and then given 10 mins to impress? Macouglin is out of form and it shows! But still selected? Cox is an intelligent player who can set up goals therefore play him just behind 2 up front! This is very simple if i can see this why cant Chris powell!!

I agree, but actually how hard is it to start macolsky? The guy has got 4 goals in the 2 starts his made and then given 10 mins to impress? Macouglin is out of form and it shows! But still selected? Cox is an intelligent player who can set up goals therefore play him just behind 2 up front! This is very simple if i can see this why cant Chris powell!!
The problem with playing Cox behind the front two is that Cox isn't a defensive player, and given how fragile our back line is taking out a midfielder that can make tackles for him is going to mean our defenders are going to be required a lot more.

The problem with playing Cox behind the front two is that Cox isn't a defensive player, and given how fragile our back line is taking out a midfielder that can make tackles for him is going to mean our defenders are going to be required a lot more.
Just to emphasize that Coxy's tackle/foul in the second half against Peterborough lead to their second goal from the free kick. He tackles like a forward, badly.

IMO This is just silly...Basing ur view and hopes on a basically unproven kid from BCFC reserves...Worrying....

Someone who has pace and knows where the back of the net is. Not worrying at all, what’s more worrying is CP won’t change it up and sticks with Hopper & Cox week in week out. Yet again another loss!

Back