• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Chris Powell are you?

• Total voters
The issue is that Southend is rarely going to be a first choice destination for a player. In order for us to sign a good player, there is likely to be a downside ie injuries, (E.g. Hyam, returning Freddy), on the way down, (Ferdinand, Turner), or Attitude, (E.g. Nile Ranger).

If you look at the players we went for this window, we signed Mantom (Injury at Scunthorpe), Lennon (Injury at Charlton), Hyam (Injury at Ipswich). These are players that are good, but they're playing for us because they have the injury records.

The players we missed out on that you'd consider players without these sorts of records; Lyle Taylor (Charlton), Vassell (Rotherham), Sonny Bradley (Luton). (will be more but I can't remember now)

I am not saying our signings are bad, in fact I think Mantom has been fantastic so far. We've taken a risk with signing these players and thus far, it's not paid off. That doesn't mean we should be losing faith in the manager.

I think the "first choice destination" applies to most teams at our level, however, we seem to be the only ones who huge injury problems season after season. I honestly think that is a problem we have to resolve.

I haven't lost faith in Powell. He was the best man for the job in February, and remains so. I think people calling for his head need to remember just how bad things were at the end of PB's reign and consider who they would want to come in. Most will shout for the Cowley Brothers who've got absolutely diddly squat in the way of experience at this level.

For me the only thing I have been a bit surprised about is that McCoulsky or however you spell his name cannot seem to buy a league start. He's scored goals in the cup and I keep expecting him then to start the next league game, but he doesn't.

That just seems a bit strange to me, getting a player in on loan and just not playing him in the league from the start even after he's scored 3 or 4 goals in the two cups games that he's started.

I still have faith in SCP and the injuries are certainly very frustrating, especially seeing a different starting 11 quite regularly but I just hope we don't get too far behind before players start coming back from injuries. I think I saw we're only one point above the relegation zone which certainly doesn't mean I think we're going to be relegated but it doesn't make good reading.

We need a win Saturday and a decent performance. Then we need some players back and quick.

BTW I saw someone on this thread say that we played well against Charlton hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You would have to say that after scoring 4 in 2 cup games, McCoulsky he would be absolutely flying. He would certainly have the confidence and think he's done enough for a league start.
Obviously, we don't see what happens in training etc, but by not rewarding him with a place in the team (twice), Powell would have quashed the momentum McCoulsky would have had going into the next fixture.

For me the only thing I have been a bit surprised about is that McCoulsky or however you spell his name cannot seem to buy a league start. He's scored goals in the cup and I keep expecting him then to start the next league game, but he doesn't.

That just seems a bit strange to me, getting a player in on loan and just not playing him in the league from the start even after he's scored 3 or 4 goals in the two cups games that he's started.

I still have faith in SCP and the injuries are certainly very frustrating, especially seeing a different starting 11 quite regularly but I just hope we don't get too far behind before players start coming back from injuries. I think I saw we're only one point above the relegation zone which certainly doesn't mean I think we're going to be relegated but it doesn't make good reading.

We need a win Saturday and a decent performance. Then we need some players back and quick.

BTW I saw someone on this thread say that we played well against Charlton hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
I agree. Certainly think CP is the long term man for us but McClowsky must wonder what he has to do! He’s started 2 games, scored twice in each, then gets benched in favour of Cox & Robinson.

I agree. Certainly think CP is the long term man for us but McClowsky must wonder what he has to do! He’s started 2 games, scored twice in each, then gets benched in favour of Cox & Robinson.

I was benched once after scoring 3 in a cup semi final when we won 4-1..I never forgave
the manager.

I personally would have had Cowley's with Powell my second choice.

What I like about Powell is he is working to a game plan. He actually has a plan and a style of playing. He believes he shouldnt need to deviate as over time it will work. If it doesnt work then he will carry the can. At the moment we do not have a full squad and so the jury has to be out for now. Individual mistakes are costing us and he sounds like he knows that. Turner paid the price for that after a couple of games. Powell sees the players in training and I dont but it does surprise me a bit, not that Hopper and Cox are first choice, but that Robinson is the preferred sub. Pace is great but his touch is normally weak and aside from tap ins from two yards his finishing isnt normally that good since he returned. Aside from that I think we will soon start to cut out the mistakes and rise up the table. Possibly too late for promotion and playoffs so will leave Ron to decide whether that is good enough or not. I'd imagine Ron will see Powell in post for enough time to prove himself

I personally would have had Cowley's with Powell my second choice.

What I like about Powell is he is working to a game plan. He actually has a plan and a style of playing. He believes he shouldnt need to deviate as over time it will work. If it doesnt work then he will carry the can. At the moment we do not have a full squad and so the jury has to be out for now. Individual mistakes are costing us and he sounds like he knows that. Turner paid the price for that after a couple of games. Powell sees the players in training and I dont but it does surprise me a bit, not that Hopper and Cox are first choice, but that Robinson is the preferred sub. Pace is great but his touch is normally weak and aside from tap ins from two yards his finishing isnt normally that good since he returned. Aside from that I think we will soon start to cut out the mistakes and rise up the table. Possibly too late for promotion and playoffs so will leave Ron to decide whether that is good enough or not. I'd imagine Ron will see Powell in post for enough time to prove himself

I think you need to treat Theo carefully to avoid destroying his confidence. He is under contract until 2020; McCoulsky is only on loan until the end of the season. Theo came in and did the business for CP at the end of last season. To suddenly find himself immediately demoted to 4th choice would be pretty hard for him to take and you'd risk losing him mentally as clearly happened to him under Brown. I can therefore understand wanting to make Theo feel involved because we still have to pay him next season and we don't want that as a dead wage. I think Powell will eventually start McCoulsky but he needs to earn the place and for all his cup goals (although one of those he blatantly stole from Theo) he disappointingly hasn't shown anything in his sub appearances in the League yet.

Tilly was another manager who loathed making subs and generally gave players plenty of chances. As a result players loved playing for him and it gave them confidence to perform. CP seems to be of a similar ilk. It'll be frustrating when players stay on when playing badly but the long term pay-off was worth it with Tilly. Hopefully it will be with Powell. Play the long game here - this is about more than just the next match.

I was benched once after scoring 3 in a cup semi final when we won 4-1..I never forgave
the manager.

I was benched once in the final for shrimperzone after scoring two in the semi and starting pretty much all season haha. Never even got off the bench. Last game I was ever involved in as couldn't be bothered with the clique anymore. Scored a hat trick against them a couple seasons later :). You may remember it over at Wakerings ground.

Last edited:
The modern game is a 12/13 man match, top mangers choose and use subs as part of their game plan rather than just throw them on a reaction 5mins from time when there's a panic. CP fits the latter type at the moment which is something I feel he needs to change. The 'stand up'/ 'sit down' fiasco of the changes v Peterborough cost us the game I felt

He's had to content with injuries, huge squad turnover, entirely avoidable suspensions and international call-ups. He's only really responsible for one of those things.

Also, it's September ffs.

This bad start has happened a lot in the last few seasons keep the faith back your team and manager we all want wins but sometimes it takes time!! Up the blue boys win loose or draw!!!

As other have already said, I have faith in CP to turn things around but in answer to the title of the thread suggests, i am currently losing faith in some of his poor decisions of late.

Worth mention that I'm sure I read that this actually our best start out of the last 4 seasons. Hard to believe I know, but apparently true.

For whatever reason we are regular slow starters regardless of who is in charge. Even in Tilly's promotion season from League 2 we were in the bottom two after the opening few games.

Regarding CP, I'm still utterly baffled by the notion that he is an average manager. Clearly his promotion with Charlton and our play-off form at the back end of last season have been deleted from history.

Regarding CP, I'm still utterly baffled by the notion that he is an average manager. Clearly his promotion with Charlton and our play-off form at the back end of last season have been deleted from history.

See this is the thing - he is. He'd be managing at least in the Championship. But he got sacked by two clubs in that league.

Phil Brown got Hull promoted into the Premiership. Does that make him a better manager than Powell? If so we seem to have made a huge mistake.

Powell gets a free pass thanks to his playing ties to the club. As I said, it's very early days and I'm sure he will turn it around but he deserves the same scrutiny recieved by Sturrock and Brown.

See this is the thing - he is. He'd be managing at least in the Championship. But he got sacked by two clubs in that league.

Phil Brown got Hull promoted into the Premiership. Does that make him a better manager than Powell? If so we seem to have made a huge mistake.

Powell gets a free pass thanks to his playing ties to the club. As I said, it's very early days and I'm sure he will turn it around but he deserves the same scrutiny recieved by Sturrock and Brown.

Are you saying you would rather have PB than Chris?

Are you saying you would rather have PB than Chris?

I honestly don't know. I wasn't overwhelmed by his appointment and I remain underwhelmed by his performance thus far, but as I've maintained it's very early days yet.

Back